Custom Fonts HL2/Source WITHOUT Replacing Vanilla

A Forum Thread for Source Engine

Trying to Replace without Replacing

I've been trying to figure out a way to make it so weapons and such no longer need to modify vanilla files to add fonts, sound scripts, and such. I've been messing around, but I've never done any at-length editing of the standard .res files used by the HUDs.

Does anyone have any information on how to get files to load without editing the base resource/clientscheme.res or scripts/game_sounds_manifest.txt files?

I'm trying to find a way to finally end the problems that arise from making your own HUD fonts, and sound files once and for all. Surely it's possible, no?

I've made a custom font for one weapon, and was able to add it to the game without editing the base halflife2.ttf file that controls weapon icons, but it required custom blocks in the clientscheme.res file.

• If you set up the file system properly you can load custom gamesoundmanifest files from the custom folder, and I'm certain that applies to clientscheme.res too (at-least it works in TF2)

So a solution would be to keep a master in your custom folder that you can freely edit and add onto.

And Fox and Kubiiik's MP7 was able to load in custom hud elements as a .vtf by editing the weapon_smg1.txt
    Level 28 Toaster
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Reverend V92 avatar
Reverend V92 username pic Joined 8y ago
Away