Steering wheel placement/animation?

A Forum Thread for Garry's Mod 13

Hey, you! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending FoxerMod points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Join the community!

Already a Bananite? Login

Does anyone know if the steering wheel (or any other non-road wheel part of the vehicle a turn would animate) would be on the body mdl with left/right frames or separate model with said frames? Beyond the obvious I'm also trying to decide how to texture it. If it's animated in the body I just add it to that map. If it's separate then I'll make a separate map for it

• 8mo
    KonataHamster avatar
    Member Joined 7y
    14,894 points Ranked 287th
    27 medals 1 legendary 5 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • 10 submissions featured Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Polls Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    Slow it down, what exactly are you asking? You mean "are the animations of the front wheels turning connected to the steering wheel?"
    Oversensitive sociopath avatar
    Mantra
    Oversensitive sociopath
  • 8mo
    FoxerMod avatar
    FoxerMod Offline
    Member Joined 3y
    121 points Ranked 25062nd
    I mean is the steering wheel a part of the car body and animated as part of that model or is it a separate animated model that has an attachment point in the car body.
    Bananite
  • 8mo
    KonataHamster avatar
    Member Joined 7y
    Posted by FoxerMod

I mean is the steering wheel a part of the car body and animated as part of that model or is it a separate animated model that has an attachment point in the car body.
    (use the quote/callout button I wasn't notified of your reply)

Yes the steering wheel on a car model is part of the model itself, as is its animations. Usually however they are on independent animimations (one controlling the wheel spin as you drive, one controlling the suspension, one controlling the turning of wheels during steering, all simultaneously.
    Mantra
    Oversensitive sociopath
  • 8mo
    FoxerMod avatar
    FoxerMod Offline
    Member Joined 3y
    Posted by KonataHamster

Yes the steering wheel on a car model is part of the model itself, as is its animations. Usually however they are on independent animimations (one controlling the wheel spin as you drive, one controlling the suspension, one controlling the turning of wheels during steering, all simultaneously.

Thank you, that at least answers the matter of adding it to the texture map for the body and grouping it in with that model. I'm making a guess from what I've looked through in the past that each of those animations you mentioned are called by frame number in a script or perhaps the QC? Such as steering wheel 90 degree left is frame 2, 90 the other way frame 3, suspension lean left frame 4 and so on?

Quick edit: Remembering about the QC they would be seperately named smd's wouldn't they?
    Bananite
  • 8mo
    KonataHamster avatar
    Member Joined 7y
    Posted by FoxerMod

Posted by KonataHamster

Thank you, that at least answers the matter of adding it to the texture map for the body and grouping it in with that model. I'm making a guess from what I've looked through in the past that each of those animations you mentioned are called by frame number in a script or perhaps the QC? Such as steering wheel 90 degree left is frame 2, 90 the other way frame 3, suspension lean left frame 4 and so on?

Quick edit: Remembering about the QC they would be seperately named smd's wouldn't they?

I'd imagine so, I only know about how they work, haven't compiled or decompiled one before, as for the .qc files I am not entirely sure of the syntax of those yet. Never compiled a drivable vehicle before.

I do know that there are basic animations baked into a vehicle model, such as flexcontrols that have sliders (steering works on a boolean, I think -2-2 (negative 2 through 2; 0 is straight)) 
    I'm not sure how suspension works exactly.
    I'm afraid I can't help you past there. May ask around though there's some compile experts more qualified than me to help you out. 
    Mantra
    Oversensitive sociopath
  • 8mo
    FoxerMod avatar
    FoxerMod Offline
    Member Joined 3y
    Posted by KonataHamster

I'm not sure how suspension works exactly.
    I'm afraid I can't help you past there. May ask around though there's some compile experts more qualified than me to help you out. 
    Still you helped me figure out my more immediate concern. I'm actually working on a hovercraft right now but eventually I will be making wheeled/tracked vehicles and having to think about suspension as well. You've  pointed me off in a direction to start looking and thinking on that while I finish this project up, thank you again!
    Bananite

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

FoxerMod avatar
FoxerMod Offline
Member Joined 3y