Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have
paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills
and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3
Since I had started working with Source version of Hammer, I was wondering many times why 3D view backplane and model render limit have not been lifted. The 10k unit plank was usually enough in GoldSrc engine Hammer, though not for Source.
So I poked inside Hammer's settings in registry and tried to set back clip plane distance beyond 10000 units. Editor still worked fine, it seems than it doesn't have any in-built limit excepting that slider in "3D Views" options tab.
So then, if you need to move clipping plane and model render distance further away, follow these steps ::
- Press Win+R (or go Start menu -> Run).
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- To expand specific registry tree keys, press + near needed one.
- Go into HKEY\_CURRENT\_USER (HKCU) -> Software -> Valve -> Hammer -> 3D Views .
- The values we need in "3D Views" section are BackPlane and ModelDistance (self-explanatory, isn't it?). Distances are stored in these values in hexademical calculation system. Though in won't be a problem even if you can't convert decademical numbers into hexademical in mind :E
- Double-click on BackPlane. You will get a small pop-up window with Value/Data fields and Hexademical/Decademical radio button switch.
- The switch will be set to Hex by default, turn it to Dec and write desired distance for Back clipping plane into Data field. Do the same thing with ModelDistance, if you want.
- No need to look for "File -> save" now, for every your change is saved automatically and immediately. Start Hammer and check if everything works and/or you don't need to need to raise distances even more.
- On the screenshot you can see regedit with expanded branch leading to Hammer's settings and value editing window. Although I'm using Russian localization for Win 7, this image still can show you how your regedit window should look.
- It works with GoldSrc Hammer too, but registry branch will be HKCU - Software - Valve - Valve Hammer Editor - 3D Views
- Tested under WinXP and Win7. I see no reason why it shouldn't work for other OS'.
> **Posted by 3zzzTyle**
> > **Posted by Kill22pro**
> > Is there a way to lift the limits of max textures / max waterindices / max brushes / max brushsides ?
> These are limits within Source game engine, so this would require access to its source code or at least tedious process of manual patching of binaries.
So that's a No? XD
> **Posted by Kill22pro**
> Is there a way to lift the limits of max textures / max waterindices / max brushes / max brushsides ?
These are limits within Source game engine, so this would require access to its source code or at least tedious process of manual patching of binaries.