A Tutorial for Source Engine
Note: This tutorial is for HL2 games, CS:S and TF2 since Left4Dead and Portal have better rain.
__________________________________________________________________________Here is an easy tutorial how to make Source engine rain more realistic.
We all know that default rain is thin, long and falls in stright line.
You can see the screenskots.
So let's change it. :)
The new effect looks better in game.
Adding rainFirst let's add some rain in map.
- Make a brush/es in your map where you want to have rain.
- [Optional] Make more brushes in same position to make higher density
- Select brushes
- Tie it to entity (CTRL + T) --> func_precipitation
- In the entity options set:
- Density - 100
- COLOR (R G B) - leave default
- Precipitation type - Rain
OK. We have rain. Time to make it beautiful. :)
Adding magic codeCrate entitys:
Name point_severcommand rain_commands
Go to logic_auto-->Outputs
- OnMapSpawn -> rain_commands -> Command -> r_winddir 1
- OnMapSpawn -> rain_commands -> Command -> r_windspeed 50 (0 = vertical)
- OnMapSpawn -> rain_commands -> Command -> r_rainlength 0.025f
- OnMapSpawn -> rain_commands -> Command -> r_rainwidth 1.5
- OnMapSpawn -> rain_commands -> Command -> r_rainalpha 0.3
- OnMapSpawn -> rain_commands -> Command -> r_rainspeed 1200f
Thats it. :) Test it.
NOTESIf you map for Counter Strike: Source or Team Forterss 2 --> crate point_clientcommand and name it rain_commant_client.
Crate another logic_auto and add all the commands from above but change rain_commands to rain_commands_client.
Hope you like it. :)
HintYou can type these commands in-game in any map or server.
You don't need sv_cheats 1.
So you can play with numbers while testing.
Happy raining! :)
Mother Nature Studios
- Difficulty Level
Share on Reddit
Share on Twitter
Share on Facebook
Share on Google+
WiPs by Submitter
WiPs by Studio
More Mapping Tutorials