This tutorial was requested by NvC_DmN_CH.
This is my 4th tutorial, and it's about the fog... No, it's about YOUR fog !!
To create your own fog, I will explain the different properties of the entity we will use : func_smokevolume.
Otherwise, the func_smokevolume can have others "smoky" applications : explosions, steam, some kind of clouds, smolders...
However, it's still pretty easy but it can take some time to make the seeked effect.
START1. Firstly, make the area where your fog will be.
2. Secondly, create a block using the trigger texture and turn that block into a func_smokevolume.
Now, change it's values :
- Particle Color 1 : 230 230 230 (really light grey)
- Particle Color 2 : 220 220 220 (a little bit darker than the first one)
- Material : particle/smokesprites_0007
- Particle Draw Width : 130
- Particle Spacing Distance : 50
- Density Ramp Speed : 0.05
- Rotation Speed : 5
- Movement Speed : 5
- Density : 0.35
3. And done !! You probably think it's fast but you can do a lot of tests before you find the fog of your dreams...
- Particle Color 1 : Even if this entity is only using 1 sprite, you can choose 2 colors to have a fancier fog. This is the first color...
- Particle Color 2 : ...And this is the second
- Material : This is the sprite sued for the fog effect
- Particle Draw Width : It's the size of the sprite
- Particle Spacing Distance : The distance between each sprite (smaller value = more sprites)
- Density Ramp Speed : This is the time needed for the sprites to fade between invisible to the density choosen value
- Rotation Speed : The speed that the sprites will rotate
- Movement Speed : The speed that the sprites will move
- Density : This is the opacity of your sprites
Don't forget that this is heavily modifiable, and you can get a lot of differents results : you might have to make a lot of tests to find the fog of your dreams...
- This type of fog can easily decrease performance. You should use them sparingly
- Some steps have their own screenshots, don't forget to look at them
- I hope that you have learn something and that it was not so hard to understand
- Thanks for reading !!