Here it is:
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MIGHT CAUSE YOU BY USING THIS TOOL. IF YOU’RE HERE AND WANT TO WALK FURTHER INTO MODDING STREET, PLEASE! PLEASE. PLEASE… MAKE A COPY OF YOUR EXISTING RESOURCE, GFX AND CLASSES FOLDERS FIRST BEFORE MODIFYING ANY CONTENT INSIDE YOUR MOD DIRECTORY.
This tool has a capability of opening and manipulating .res files inside the resource/UI directory. Some basic editing functions are available like copy and paste. Please note that Undo/Redo function is non-existent (yet) because coding them requires more knowledge, and I’m not knowledgeable about that part yet. Bugs might also be present but I think the tool is now usable for everyone willing to use it.
- Straightforward editing approach. no bullcat, just edit in no time.
- Bundled by a simple TGA to PNG Converter to make image conversion faster.
- Familiar editor hotkeys like CTRL+O for opening and CTRL+S for saving file.
- Simplistic design for faster learning curve.
- Much easier to use (IMO) than the built-in VGUI Editor in-game.
- Text string recognizer for Labels/Buttons e.g: #Cstrike_Cancel
1. Can I edit other game’s resources using this editor?
- At the moment, no. This editor is hard-coded all the way down for CS 1.6. Although you can however, open the file by copying the res file and putting it inside the resources folder of cstrike directory temporarily but I wouldn’t recommend it.
2. Why is undo/redo not implemented?
- I’m still learning programming and I think I’ve already had success because as of writing this FAQ, I’m close to releasing this to the public. Provided that this tool took me countless hours of continuous work and testing, I’ll keep learning stuff to make this happen. Don’t you worry ;)
3. Canvas area is too small, can I zoom in?
- Unfortunately, no. The mouse movement gets clunky whenever I implement a zoom function so better leave it as it is for now. You can use the built-in magnifier tool in windows as a workaround.
4. Control is not visible, what do I do?
- Click its name in Control Explorer Panel. Set its visible property to 1. If it’s still not visible, maybe other controls with higher z-index is obscuring it. You can try long-pressing the Left Bracket Key ‘[‘ until it shows up. If it is still not visible, check its xpos and/or ypos property. If it is too high or too low, adjust its position so that it is still seen inside the viewport. Set both to 0 if nothing else works.
5. How to fix control not selectable or is not moving?
- See first if the control’s enabled property is set to 0. Set it to 1 to enable editing. Other possible cause is the small lock key located in the top-right side in Properties Panel. Click on it to enable editing again.
6. Can I make my own resource file using this?
- Not really. This tool is created to edit existing resource files. You can try to open an existing file first then saving it to another filename. I’ve done this on purpose so that the application can fetch the game resources in the right folder.
7. Why are some of the control’s position in the editor differs when in-game?
- My guess is that CS 1.6 uses layout rounding when displaying elements (Fractioned positions are rounded to the nearest whole). Best practice is testing the layout on different screen resolutions and adjust offset controls accordingly.
8. My game crashes when I added an image to the layout, what is the reason for this?
- Check your imported image size. TGA file supports up to 256x256 image size. Although some sizes can still be allowed like 276x96 and 512x32 but they are rarely used.
9. Why are some control attributes missing? Like pinCorner, autoResize, etc.
- Believe me, I've tried. I tested those but it seems that it doesn't do anything much to the controls so I just included the essentials.
10. Do you need a rest?
- Yes, a lot. If you’re reading this, I’m sleeping. Just whisper goodnight.
You can read more information about this application by opening CSRUITManual.pdf located inside the app's install location.
This video shows basic editor functions (navigation, control resizing, etc.)
Note: This is from the early build so the footage here and the release build differs.
BEFORE YOU GO:
You can try the "BlueTheme" theme I made to make sure you're following my advice. Backup your CLASSES, GFX, AND RESOURCES! folders first before overwriting in any of them.
This theme affects:
- Buy Menu
- Team/Class Menu
You can download it here: Link
Thanks for stopping by, if you created some customization using this tool, you can share a screenshot in the comments section. I would be happy if this deems useful to someone :)