This tool is part of a big guide about ripping Nintendo 64 models to Source Engine, and recreating N64 maps in Source Engine.
I first created it at the end of 2018 with Python, after having worked a lot with N64 models and losing time texturing them manually.
I then recreated it in C# (with the WPF Framework).
And at the start of 2020 I recoded it completly to clean the code, make it faster and make it smoother to use.
I originally only posted it on the forum of a community ( https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/39127-n64-mapping-tool/ ), along with the first version of the N64 guide.
2. What can it do
As you will see in the guide, when ripping from N64 game, you end up with a model file with the WRL format.
- The first thing the tool can do is convert WRL files to OBJ which is far more supported by 3D Modelling softwares.
- As I needed some way to easily delete all the materials from a model, I created an option to delete every materials from an OBJ file. You can also delete the unused materials.
- One other thing I needed was to automatically apply materials on the OBJ with the correct textures. So the tool can do it as long as the texture name is in each objects names (which is the case when working with n64 models).
- The tool can also just modify the obj like scaling, rotating, merging all objects sharing a same texture, sorting alphabetically.
- I added an option to convert from OBJ to SMD.
- You can also copy every texture used by the OBJ in the folder of your choice.
- And I added an option that can merge many OBJ into a single one.
There were other things that I wanted to automatize, which was modifying the n64 textures that get dumped with the model.
- The tool can flip a picture horizontally and/or vertically
- The tool can mirror a picture horizontally and/or vertically
- From 2 given pictures: the texture + the alpha of the texture, the tool will create the transparent texture.
And one last option, which is more obscure and not that much useful is creating a blacklist of textures, and you can then use the tool to automatically remove every objects using textures from that blacklist.
Update: New category called Other Tools. Where I put stuff that is not directly related to N64 mapping.
- Create the Negative of a picture. I encountered cases where the 'alpha' texture was inverted, so by applying the negative, that will fix it.
The tool support drag and drop for most options, so you can easily load a file and convert it/modify it.