GameBanana shows no ads to members. Sign up now!
Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Help Wanted - Chaotix Mania

A Forum Thread for Sonic Mania

We need some help with fixing the level design, as we have gotten feedback that the levels were not very good. You would need to know how Maniac Editor (the stage editor), works and know how to make good and fun level design (tiles are already done, so you would not have to work on them)

If you would like to help, you can message me on GameBanana or on Discord (Xanman#9925)
  • Nuclear_Disco avatar
    Nuclear_Disco Joined 2y ago
    520 points Ranked 46,359th
    1mo 1mo
    My opinion, having been playing the mod a couple of times, is that the level design is either really linear (Isolation Island) or non-linear to the point of not knowing how to finish the stage that it feels boring and uneventful (Botanic Base). Despite the bugs each level has, the level design feels lacking in the sense of engagement and innovation (improperly placed baniks, lack of platforming, lack of spikes, poorly placed springs, distinct level mechanics, etc.)

II is very 1 dimensional. Not to sound harsh or anything but it's just a straight line that has ill placed baniks to make you lose your rings without you even knowing what's coming. The boss (which I hope is a placeholder) is extremely easy. What I suggest is inspiring from S3's Angel Island with it not needing to be short. AI was intricate with it's level design and had walls to stop the player so that they could get a witness of what's ahead of them, it also had an exploration side which complements its well thought of level design. Speed AND platforming were equally balanced, unlike how Isolation Island was favoring speed and horizontal gameplay over platforming

BB is non-linear, which is good, but it went too far with it it wasn't incorporated right. The beginning portion was well done, it's a step in the right direction but it also suffers with poor obstacle placement. It feels empty; there doesn't seem to be any extra platforming like mania's Chemical Plant for alternative paths and rewards like rings, speed shoes, invincibility, shields, etc.. Not to mention that there are dead ends to the stage which forces you to go back where you once were and go to the correct path. Botanic Base is the best level in this mod in my opinion, but it still needs some work.

I'm glad you are open to taking criticism. I always dreamed of a Chaotix fan game/mod and this one takes the cake. However this is my opinion and others may have more distinct thoughts from mine. If you want me to elaborate more on the levels that I went over or the other levels, then message me on discord. Until then, good luck Xanman, this mod has good potential!
    • Helpful x 1
    • Thanks x 1
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Nuclear_Disco avatar
    Nuclear_Disco Joined 2y ago
    520 points Ranked 46,359th
    1mo 1mo
    Since nobody else is going to take their time to elaborate on why they don't like the mod's level design, I guess I'll have to do everything myself :/

AA is somewhat alright. It has multiple paths and has variety but it also feels boring. There are some paths that I think are either unused or just unnecessary to the map flow, like the 3 paths and one is better than the other because of how much time you save by sacrificing nothing. And like always, Amazing Arena suffers from poor obstacle placement you have no chance of reacting to and scares shield/ring boxes and little reward for platforming. Not to nitpick, but the level doesn't use the right track for the theme it's on, that music is supposed to happen before you light the level up

SS is good, has some platforming aspects along with speed sections, I just wish there was more reward with platforming. The thing that I find really flawed about Speed Slider is how once you fail a speed/platform section, you are still met with the same pathway you came from, inflicting confusion. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it took me 15 seconds to realize that where I was going was backwards from where I wanted to go. Also, I seen some unused sections of the map that you can easily go back upon, creating more confusion. I don't know if that was left out because of a change in plans, but I think that should be addressed.

Also, I lied about BB, because MM has the best level design in the whole mod. It has a great level design with fair obstacle placement (needs a tiny bit of work) and rewarding exploration, I just wished speed was improved to be a bit more equal to the platforming. But yeah, I don't know what else to say about Mariana Madness, but it was well made

Oh, TT. This stage kind of conflicts me. On one end you have a linear section of the map and on the other end you have many paths to choose from. I don't know what to disclose on when it comes to speed and platforming. It feels fast? But at the same time it doesn't while it also has some platforming that rewards you? I don't know. The only thing that I know for certain, like always, is that the obstacle design (like that pot banik that shoots bombs) needs a rework on Techno Tower. Not to nitpick on this either, but the final part of the music is Techno Tower's theme, and the rest is from World Entrance 

But yeah, that's all of my opinions of the stages on your fantastic mod. I hope you take my critiques into consideration to make it the best it could possibly can, god speed Xan!
    • Helpful x 1
    • Thanks x 1
    • Informative x 1
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author