Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have
paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills
and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3
- A Work In Progress for GameBanana.
This is my entry for the [GameBanana Winter Wonderland mapping contest.](http://gamebanana.com/contests/31)
I'm currently just at planning / blocking out stage of development, but I'll be sure to update this WiP page like I usually do when some more interesting stuff comes about.
I also tried out using a mood board to try and get some ideas flowing, I think it worked rather well.
Update 1 | 21/11/12
- Blocked out the garages
- Added detail under the balcony
- Messed around with point\_devshot\_camera for way too long. They just don't bloody work properly.
Update 2 | 25/11/12
- Added stairs inside house
- Textured a load of stuff
- Continued to block out house
- Added some doors to main house
- Added snow to roof
- Added fireplace + temp lighting indoors
- Tidied up the displacements a bit more
Mini Update | 26/11/12
Oh blimey, a frontpage feature, I feel so special :D
Update 3 | 28/11/12
- Added some rims around the windows
- Fixed up the down stairs doors (they were clipping into the wall)
- Added some snow precipitation
I can some more of the updates being done like this, tiny things being added every few days when I find a window a time to get some work done. I should hopefully be able to pick up the workflow after the 12th (extended work deadline).
Update 4 | 29/11/12
- Tided up blending on some of the displacements and added modulated blending to the rooves for a much better transition between textures (thanks to [Planub](http://gamebanana.com/members/1232395) for the suggestion)
- Added sofas, xmas tree and gifts to living space
- Added logs, fire and lighting to fireplace
- Tided up a bunch of textures
- Changed placeholder car props in garage to better ones
I should really get to a playable state before anything else...
Update 5 | 3/12/12
- Still haven't got to a playable state, I'm a a terrible person
- Added smoke to chimney (I'll polish it up at some point)
- Textured ceiling
- Added ceiling wood beams
- Properly textured side of roof
- Added some new windows
- Slightly edited placeholder lighting
- Logs + fire added to other fireplace
Update 6 | 4/12/12
- GOT TO A PLAYABLE STATE. 'bout damn time.
- Made the bedrooms on either side of the building
- Moved the Christmas tree and sofas to adjacent room, also added some other details in there
- Added dinner table and chairs to the room where the tree used to be
- Made some stairs for the bedrooms
- Remade the windows for the bedrooms
- Added ceiling beams
- Added proper lighting sources to wood beams
- Added some mounds of snow outside to use as cover
- DID SOME DARN PLAYTESTIN'
I also found out that so far (using [RescueTime](https://www.rescuetime.com)), this project has taken me around 12 hours. Not bad progress I'd say...
ADDITIONALLY, since I've got this sucker into a playable state now I could do with a few playtesters to give it a good look over. Leave a comment below or message me if your interested!
Update 7 | 10/12/12
- Made the garages a bit bigger and added a bunch of details to each of them
- Added some brushes under the displacements so proper visleaves could be drawn
Got bored, decided to make a .gif with some of the dev screenshots I've got so far.
Update 7 | 10/12/12
- LOTS of stuff
- Finished development! Come and get it!
> **Posted by PresidentEvil**
> > **Posted by Giblets of Jesus**
> > > **Posted by PresidentEvil**
> > > would it be possible to get a prefab of this
> > Of which part?
> well im making a survival games (hunger games) map for my server and I'd like to add this as one of the buildings
> the map is only for my server and isn't being made public, ill credit you regardless
I don't know if I still have the .vmf for this, but you can always decompile it, good luck with your map!
> **Posted by Giblets of Jesus**
> > **Posted by PresidentEvil**
> > would it be possible to get a prefab of this
> Of which part?
well im making a survival games (hunger games) map for my server and I'd like to add this as one of the buildings
the map is only for my server and isn't being made public, ill credit you regardless
> **Posted by The Giblets of Jesus**
> > **Posted by fanerddu**
> > it's coming along alright. I've got most of the basic geometry down. i'm sort of doing my own CS:S rendition of a map from an older game that isn't CS:S. it's the most progress i've ever made on a map before and it's been pretty fun. learning as i go.
> Good to hear you're enjoying it, I find contests are usually a pretty good motivator for this sort of thing, keeps you on track. Any chance you could post a WiP at some point?
Perhaps, once I have made some more progress on it.
Although I am kind of fond of the idea of not releasing any real screenshots of it until it's actual release...
> **Posted by Planub**
> I think a blend texture + blend modulate would be better for that roof than a displacement on top.
I was planning on just adding decals around the displacement, like what I did in my log cabin prefab, but I'll certainly look into doing this now, thanks!
> **Posted by GhettoBBunny**
> > **Posted by PeterRook**
> > I would most certainly expect who ever uses this prefab(even if it is a house or w.e for CS_ and DE_ maps) to add some Xmas music into it :D
> It's a full map that is in the process of being made. I dont know if giblets would like someone taking it just to add xmas music.
> **Posted by fanerddu**
> it's coming along alright. I've got most of the basic geometry down. i'm sort of doing my own CS:S rendition of a map from an older game that isn't CS:S. it's the most progress i've ever made on a map before and it's been pretty fun. learning as i go.
Good to hear you're enjoying it, I find contests are usually a pretty good motivator for this sort of thing, keeps you on track. Any chance you could post a WiP at some point?
> **Posted by sg1221**
> Well that's something like what I'm trying to make for the contest. You're just doing it better than me :P
I think most people are gonna end up doing something along the lines of a log cabin / resort surrounded by snow, UNREA1certainly did.