GameBanana has started integrating with some of these mod installers so they can be launched directly out of the web browser when you click to download a mod.
1. GameBanana Integrated Mod InstallersBelow are mod installers with 1-click integration on GameBanana:
1.1. Super Smash Bros for Wii UMeteor by Mowjoh
1.2. Source, Gold Source & moreModboy by Tyrrrz & AoM
1.3. Sonic ManiaSonic Mania Mod Manager by MainMemory
1.4. RWBY: Grimm Eclipsegvk's Mod Installer by gvk (GB profile maintained by Testsubject276)
1.5. Sonic GenerationsHedgeModManager by SuperSonic16
2. Making Compatible ArchivesIf you're a modder and your game has a mod installer, consider making your mod archives compatible with the mod installer. Each mod installer is different in this regard, so please consult the mod installer's documentation or reach out to the developer.
2.1. Sonic Mania Mod ManagerCompatible archives must contain a
2.2. Meteor (SSBU)Compatible archives must contain a
meta/metadata.xmlfile inside correctly numbered parent directories.
2.3. gvk's Mod Manager (RWBY: Grimm Eclipse)No compatibility requirements. Any archive structure should work.
3. Mod Installer Integration DevelopmentAre you a programmer interested in coding a mod installer or adding download integration to an existing one? Below is some information to help.
3.1. Application RequirementsIntegrating a mod installer with a web browser requires three additional functionalities to be built into the installer:
- Custom Schema Association. During installation a Windows registry entry must be added so the operating system associates the custom schema (e.g
smmm:) with the mod installer.
- File Downloading. The mod installer must be able to handle HTTP file downloading.
- Archive Decompression. After downloading the mod, the mod installer must decompress it. GameBanana supports 3 decompression formats: ZIP, RAR and 7z. If the mod installer doesn't support these decompression formats some mods may not have mod installer download links.
3.2. SecurityBecause an integrated mod installer downloads web-based content, it would be prudent to scan the decompressed archive for suspicious files before proceeding with installation. If your mod installer detects unusual files, add a continue prompt so the user is made aware of it.
3.3. Mod Installer Download URL StructureGameBanana's mod installer download URL's have different structures, depending on the requirements of each installer. This is decided upon between GameBanana and the mod installer programmer(s) during integration development. A typical Mod Installer Download URL looks like this:
3.4. Passing Additional ParametersAlong with a direct URL to the archive, the mod installer link may also contain other parameters, such as the mod's type and ID. This allows the mod installer to lookup additional information on the mod being downloaded, and display it to the user. This data can also be saved locally, allowing the mod installer to list a library of installed, activated, deactivated and removed mods.
3.5. Server Side File Compatibility CheckingMost mod installers require a specific file or file structure to exist in the mod archive for the mod to be installed correctly. GameBanana ensures this before showing the mod installer download link.
For example, the Sonic Mania Mod Manager requires the presence of a
mod.inifile, which contains metadata on the mod as well as programmatic installation instructions.
The Meteor mod installer for SSBU requires the presence of a
GameBanana checks for compatibility on a per game and per mod installer level before showing the mod installer download link. If the check fails, the mod installer link will not appear for the mod.