1. The bScoreThe bScore is GameBanana's weighted rating system designed to produce a more meaningful scoring system, ultimately to improve our ability to rank the best mods and provide a more accurate feedback mechanism for modders.
2. Why weight ratings?We decided that our rating system should not be entirely democratic, but also somewhat meritocratic. We decided that a rater who also posted feedback, and is also themselves a modder of the type content they're rating, entails their rating is more meaningful and their opinion on the subject of the mods strengths and weaknesses more reputable.
3. How weights are determinedA rating's weight is influenced by several factors, such as whether the rater posted, whether they got exemplary feedback for their post, whether they're an actual modder of the type of mod they're rating, etc.
If you're a modder and provide a great comment that gets EF, you're going to have the most significant individual impact on the bScore at a rating weight of 8.
4. Weight Modifiers
- 1 - Base weight
- +1 - Rater posted
- +2 - Rater is a modder of the same content they're rating
- +4 - Rater received exemplary feedback for one of their posts in the submission (making them a critic)
5. Calculating the bScoreFirst, we start adding the weights and the weighted rating of every rating:
TOTAL_WEIGHTED_RATINGS += RATING * WEIGHT²
TOTAL_WEIGHTS += WEIGHT²Next, we divide the cumulatives, to produce a weighted rating:
WEIGHTED_RATING = TOTAL_WEIGHTED_RATINGS / TOTAL_WEIGHTSNext, we subtract 1 from the weighted rating, to account for high rating bias:
WEIGHTED_RATING = WEIGHTED_RATING - 1Then, we create a popularity modifier by dividing the submission's vote count by the highest vote count in the entire section:
MODIFIER = SUBMISSION_VOTES / MAX_VOTES_IN_SECTIONFinally, we add the popularity modifier to the weighed rating, and multiply by 10 to get a score out of 100:
BSCORE = (WEIGHTED_RATING + MODIFIER) * 10