How to run Crysis on Warheads tweaked engine
Thats right, how to run Crysis on Warheads tweaked version of Cryengine 2.
Now why would you want to do such a thing?
When you run Crysis on Warheads engine you get all the tweaks and extra performance with Crysis that you got with Warhead.
Another benefit is for DX9 users, Crysis locked its highest setting and saved them for DX10 users, Warhead on the other hand made the enthusiast settings available to both DX10 and DX9. And you get that bonus aswel, load Crysis up on Warheads engine in DX9 and you'll notice that 'Very High' is selectable!!!! When you select it you get all the effects that you get when you run Warhead in DX9 with enthusiast!!
Not to mension all the improvments Crytec made to the lighting/Ai/Physics, you get them all!!!
Now you probably thinking whats the catch?? Well the catch is that you have to run Crysis as a MOD though Warhead. And there's a few more :
- Due to how Warhead loads its shaders up, you will get some objects looking yellow until the engine generates the shader for it.
- Some of the audio doesn't work ( I not had this problem yet )
- Sometimes the misions and there objectives wont load properly
Other then that its all good.
Heres how to do it :
1. Make a "Mods" folder in : [.../Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis WARHEAD]
2. Make a "Crysis" folder in the "Mods" folder
3. Go into the Crysis Directory : [.../Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis]
4. Copy the ENTIRE folder called "Game", and put it into the "Crysis" folder you made in the "Mods" folder of your Warhead game.
5. Go into the warhead directory. Find this folder : [...Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis WARHEAD\Game\Localized]
6. Rename "Localized" ( Call it "Warhead_Localized" )
7. Go into your Crysis directory, and find this folder : [...\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Game\Localized]
8. Copy the "Localized" folder, and paste it into the Warhead "game" folder.
( This is the folder that holds all the sounds )
9. Find the Crysis WARHEAD shortcut Icon [MAKE ONE IF YOU DONE HAVE ONE].
10. Right click it, and click "properties".
11. The first line should say "Target" and then the directory. ( The directory should end in "...Bin32\Crysis.exe" )
Add -Mod Crysis to the end of it.
It should now look like: "...Bin32\Crysis.exe" -Mod Crysis
12. Launch the game.
DO NOT CLICK NEW GAME, THIS WILL START THE WARHEAD MISSIONS.
13. Open console with the [~] key, and type in the following : con_restricted = 0
14. In console type : map Island
This will start the SP game, and it will work just like Warhead / Crysis works. It makes Saves, etc.
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY WARHEAD AGAIN
1. Rename "Localized" "Crysis_Localized", and then re-name "Warhead_Localized" "Localized".
2. Remove the -MOD Crysis from the icon, and your back in warhead
I did a quick test with FRAPS to monitor my min/max/average framerates of Crysis running on its own and Warheads engine.
My PC is as follows :
AMD X2 5600+ Overclcocked to 3.2ghz
4gig DDR2 800Mhz RAM
2x 8800GT's in SLI
For this test i loaded up the first level 'Contact' and messured the framerate from the second the first cut-scene starts and ended it the second Nomad hit the water on the beach..
Crysis - Contact - Original Engine - High Settings : Min 17fps Max 116fps Average 53fps
Crysis - Contact - Warhead Engine - High Settings : Min 23 Max 127 Average 67fps
And Warheads version of 'high' ( Gamer ) enables more then effects then Crysis's 'high'
More performance coupled with more eye candy
Results from benchmarks may vary depending on your rig
Thanks to almighty for allowing me to re upload here.