- A 3DS with CFW
- Game patching enabled on Luma3DS menu (Turn on your 3DS while holding Select)
- Super Mario Maker 3DS, whether it is a physical or a digital copy
- A dump of the game (if you don't have one, go here)
- Ohana 3DS Rebirth
- Every File Explorer
- Any image editing software (Photoshop, Paint.NET)
- The sprites you want to use
2. Choosing the files to editInside the romfs folder, open the Model folder, that's where you'll find all the textures you need to make your mod :
- M1_xxx_xxx : Super Mario Bros. Textures
- M3_xxx_xxx : Super Mario Bros. 3 Textures
- MW_xxx_xxx : Super Mario World Textures
- MU_xxx_xxx : New Super Mario Bros. U Textures
- xx_Player_xxx : Mario Textures
- xx_Enemy_xxx : Enemy Textures
- xx_Item_xxx : Power-Up Textures
- xx_Field_xxx : Item and Tile Textures
- xx_Object_xxx : Item Textures
- xx_DV_xxx : Background Textures
For this tutorial, I'll change the jump sprite of SMB3 Super Mario by giving him a scepter.
3. Exporting and editing the texturesNow that you've got the files to edit, on Ohana 3DS Rebirth, open the .szs you want. It contains a .bch file :
Export it and open it back on Ohana 3DS Rebirth, the textures should appear :
You might've noticed there are Tanuki Mario textures inside this file, even though this is for Super Mario : these are unused, so don't worry about having to edit them.
Export all the textures you need and open them on your usual image editing software, I'll be using Aseprite :
Never change the size of the texture, or else your mod won't work.
Once you're done editing the sprites, go back to Ohana 3DS Rebirth, go to "Tools", then "BCH texture replacer". Open the .bch you want to edit :
If you edited all the textures, put them all in the same folder, select "Replace all", and choose the directory of your edited textures. You can now save the .bch and move on to the last part of this tutorial.
4. Making the .szsAfter finishing the .bch, you need to replace the original one in the .szs with the one you edited. Open Every File Explorer, open the .szs, this should appear :
a file named "0xEAF1D000" is inside, it's the .bch. Right-click it, and click on "Replace". select your .bch and save the .szs.
After that, put the file here in your SD Card : luma\titles\
Put your SD Card in your 3DS, load your game and enjoy !