If your Nintendo Switch is not modded, please read this guide first to install CFW on your Switch. DO IT PROPERLY!
Come back here once you're done modding your Switch.
Also, I would like to point out that there is NO video tutorial on modding this game on Yuzu and I don't plan to make one in the future as video guides will be obsolete. Also, don't trust Burlingtone TV. as his entire channel is misleading and clickbait. His video on modding Smash Ultimate on Yuzu is false and fake.
1. DisclaimerMany of the mods here don't actually work on Yuzu. But some might but haven't tested. If you like to test it, go for it. But if you get a compression error, then the mod don't work at all. Please understand that modding Smash Ultimate on Yuzu isn't easy as there are still limitations. You can't install Skyline or ARCropolis or SaltyNX as they don't have full support yet. So don't expect Goku over Terry or any of the mods after ARCropolis' release to work for Ultimate Mod Manager. I think it's better for you to mod your Switch than have these limitations. Thank you.
tl;dr: Modding on an emulator is poor yet. Go mod your Switch. You won't get banned unless you pirate games.
- Modded Switch
- Homebrew Launcher
- Ultimate Mod Manager (Beta)
- Any mod
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Update (Latest version)
- Yuzu Switch Emulator
- Mod the Switch and follow this guide on setting up for Yuzu. This also includes dumping the .keys and your game. (This is where you need the Homebrew Launcher)
- Download the latest mainline build on Yuzu's Website or Yuzu's Early Access Build (Pledge them on Patreon)
- If you are going to install the game's update, go to File and Install File to NAND.
- Make sure you use Docked Mode in the Controls option (Emulation/Configure.../Controls)
Note: DON'T USE CUSTOM WHILE OPENING ULTIMATE MOD MANAGER! (Error)
- Open Yuzu, go to Emulation, go to Configure..., go to System, go to Filesystem, and change the Mod Load Root to sdmc.
By default, it's
C:\Users\<Your User>\AppData\Roaming/yuzu/load/. Change it to
Note: You can access Roaming by search %appdata%. Also, create folders if it not present.
For those who use User folder or those who are using portable, just create yuzu and load folder inside sdmc.
4. Obtaining data.arc/updated data.arcDo note that Yuzu is capable of dumping the data.arc. Although you could do that to your Switch console but I'm certain that what Ultimate Mod Manager does is dump the current update of the game and not a specific update. NOTE: TRYING TO DUMP DATA.ARC USING UMM WON'T WORK ON YUZU!
With the help from incredibleplays, you can use the latest version of Ultimate Mod Manager if you have the update installed. The current version won't work on stock version(1.0.0).
But with the recent discovery from Akira896, you can get the version's data.arc by normally dump it.
- Install the update on Yuzu (mentioned above)
- Open Yuzu Emulator
- Double click Add New Game Directory
- Locate .xci or .nsp
- Right click the game and select Dump RomFS. Select Full or whatever option that includes dumping update (depending on the build) and it's gonna take a while to dump.
- Huzzah! You got the data.arc
Move on to Installing Mods.
5. Installing ModsWith the recent discovery from me, you can use Ultimate Mod Manager to load mods! And with the help from Kalomaze, you can actually load mods within sdmc without transferring data.arc from one folder to another.
- Go to %appdata% and go to Yuzu folder
- Go to sdmc and create a folder UltimateModManager. Also create yuzu\load\01006A800016E000\UMM\romfs\ on sdmc.
- Go to dump\01006A800016E000\romfs and copy data.arc and paste it on sdmc\yuzu\load\01006A800016E000\UMM\romfs
- Go to UltimateModManager\mods and place your decompressed mod folder
UltimateModManager\mods\<mod folder name>\
- Open Yuzu but make sure you disable Multicore. If it's enable, disable it or you'll get a corrupted data.arc while trying to uninstall mods.
- Boot Ultimate Mod Manager, and install mod
After you're done installing the mod,
- Go to Emulation and press Stop
- If you're computer is capable of Multicore, enable it.
- Boot the game.
There you have it! You finally got mods in Smash Ultimate! It's somewhat useful to test your mods before releasing. Here are some screenshots I took on the emulator:
(Super Mario Party Waluigi over Captain Falcon and Homer over Ryu are available on my Discord server. You may distribute it here on Gamebanana but you have to be Redistributor)
7. FAQ:Q: Is this emulator legit?
A: Yes ofc. Yuzu Switch Emulator is made by the same team that made Citra 3DS Emulator.
Q: Can I run mods on RyujiNX Switch Emulator?
A: Yes but method might be different and will be on a separate tutorial to not make any confusion.
Q: So I don't have a Switch and I downloaded it online/got it from a friend, can I still get data.arc?
A: I don't support anyone who admittedly pirate games by downloading them on the internet. But if you got it from a friend who OWNS a modded Switch, then yes. You can dump.arc. Just follow the guide.
Q: Will SaltyNX be compatible with this emulator?
A: Sadly no since SaltyNX requires it to run in the background while playing Smash.
Q: Will the upcoming Skyline be able to run on the emulator?
A: Unfortunately, it will not, just like SaltyNX because it also requires it to run in the background while playing Smash. The sad truth is that Yuzu Team's high priority is not modding games but optimizing the emulator so that it can play games. Unless someone is capable of making a Skyline code.ips for the emulator, then it's feasible. For now, it's impossible to have moveset modding montage on 4K Resolution.
Q: What about Arcropolis? Will it work?
A: Arcropolis is a plugin for Skyline. If Skyline don't work on Yuzu, then Arcropolis don't work on Yuzu.
Q: The emulator freezes when I press X in Ultimate Mod Manager after installing.
A: The emulator doesn't have support to open another app from an app. Please follow the guide and don't launch the game via UMM.
Q: Can I use the emulator to test my mods?
A: Yes you can! Some of my screenshots in my mods were taken from the emulator. But however, no moveset modding or mods that requires SaltyNX/Skyline.
Q: Will there be a Switch Emulator for mobile devices?
A: NO! Phones aren't really powerful to play Citra 3DS Emulator and now you're asking for an Android port of the Switch? I prefer buying the console while it's hot than throwing your money for a really expensive gaming phone.
Q: I change the Mod Load Root path and it's not working. Help?
A: Make sure you double check your path if it's correct or not. Sometimes, transferring user folder from one build will cause the Mod Load Root path to reset. So you have to change the path frequently.
Q: When I install a mod, I got a compression error.
A: That's because the mod that you probably installed is for ARCropolis. I'm sorry but current mods don't support Ultimate Mod Manager.
Q: Can I use ARCadia to load mods?
A: No. Since there's no Skyline/ARCropolis support, ARCadia will not work. However, it will open normally but will not function properly.
Q: Can I use Smash Minecraft Skins to load a custom skin for Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman?
A: No because this is a Skyline plugin.
Q: When are we going to have Skyline/ARCropolis support on Yuzu?
A: When they feel like it. I think to them, Smash community on Yuzu is small and not really a high priority. I mean, there are plenty of Pokemon LGPE/SwSh players who play on emulators.
So yeah. That's all. Maybe come back once Yuzu is fully playable to everyone.