Things Required; -Game Dump
Alternatively you can use Wexos’ Toolbox or KillzXGaming's Switch Toolbox for extracting & injecting the szs & bfres files
1. Go into the driver folder in your game dump & grab the szs file of the racer you want to edit.
Note: Refer to this tutorial on the names of all the characters!
2. Place the szs file in the Yaz0dec folder & drag it over the .exe. The result will be that you’ll get a 0.rarc file.
3. Rename your (InsertNameHere).szs0.rarc to (InsertNameHere).bfres.
4. Place the bfres file into the Bfres Tool Folder & launch up Bfres_Tool. Then click file/open in the program to open up your bfres file. The outcome will be that you’ll get all the files extracted in dds format.
Note: Don’t close out the bfres/command window just yet, it will help us out later! (Steps 6-8)
5. Go to whatever painting program you use (Gimp, Paint.net, Photoshop, etc) to open up the dds files & edit them to your heart’s content!
Note: If the texture files won’t open up for you on the painting software that you are currently using… Then use the DDSConverter to convert the files from DDS to PNGs!
6. Save the DDS files to the corresponding format that go with the file & have mipmaps turned on!
Note: Remember the bfres program that you’ve left open earlier, it will help you know which format the dds file has to be saved as.
7. Once you have finished, stroll down & click on the prompt that matches the name of your edited dds file to replace it with your newly saved one!
8. Afterwards, open up the Bfres_Tool_Inject to inject the freshly modified dds files back into the bfres.
9. Place the bfres file in the Yaz0enc folder & drag it over the .exe. The outcome will be that you’ll get a .yaz0 file.
Note: This may take a few if not a couple of minutes for the exe program to complete that process...
10. Rename your (InsertNameHere).bfres.yaz0 to (InsertNameHere).szs & you should be set!
Congratulations, you have successfully made your very first texture mod!
Hopefully this tutorial helps everyone out in creating new mods for the game, but anyways... I hope you all enjoy!! ^^