DISCLAIMER: This is different than the one on Smash 3DS Modding since SaltySD doesn't have Mario Kart 7 support and Citra's lack of LayeredFS.
If you're 3DS is not modded, please follow this guide to install CFW on your 3DS. DO IT PROPERLY!
Come back here once you're done modding your 3DS.
- Modded 3DS with Luma CFW
- Homebrew Launcher (for dumping NAND)
- Mario Kart 7 (Optional: Mario Kart 7 Update)
- Mario Kart 7 Dump
- HackingToolKit3DS v5.7
- A mod that you want to install
- Citra 3DS Emulator
- Installing Hacked 3DS and dump the game and update
- Download the latest Nightly Build or Canary Build on Citra's Website.
3. Dumping things from the 3DS:Before you start playing the emulator, you have to dump these stuff. Sadly, I'm not allowed to share shared_font.bin, NAND, or game's update as it's considered warez and piracy. If I put these here, I might get banned from the site.
To dump shared_font.bin or other files from the 3DS, go to these 2 links.
Here and Here
If you don't know how to dump game and update from the 3DS, here it is:
3.1. Dumping Mario Kart 7 digitally:
- Open GodMode9(requires CFW) by holding the START button while booting
- [A:]SYSNAND SD/title/00040000/00030800/content/
- Select the biggest .tmd
- Look at the bottom screen and select TMD file options and Dump CXI/NDS file
3.2. Dumping Mario Kart 7 physically:
- Open GodMode9 by holding the START button while booting
- [C:] GAMECART
- Select 0004000000030800.trim.3ds
- Select NCSD image options and Decrypt file (0:/gm9/out)
3.3. Dumping game's update:
- Open Godmode9 by holding the START button while booting
- [A:]SYSNAND SD/title/0004000e/00030800/content/
- Select the biggest .tmd
- Look at the bottom screen and select TMD file options and Build CIA (standard) or Build CIA (legit)
Once you're done dumping, insert your SD Card to your computer and you can get them on gm9/out folder. For the update, place it somewhere on your Desktop.
4. HackingToolKit3DS:Now that you got the game and update, use HackingToolKit 3DS to extract the game data. When the tool asked you to decompress code.bin, type y.
Once the extraction is complete, you're good to go! But do keep a backup so that you won't lose some of the files.
Make sure you rename the rom first. No spaces.
5. Installing mods:Since there's no LayeredFS support on Citra, the best way for you to install mods is through drag the file to its exact folder and then rebuild the rom, much like Pokemon Modding.
So for this guide, I will use N64 Rainbow Road by PabloMK7 as an example.
- Download the mod.
- Go to your game dump and go to ExtractedRomFS folder
- Go to Course and drag the mod there and replace it.
- That's it.
6. Rebuilding the Rom:Open HackingToolKit3DS and then rebuild the rom. Name it whatever you want. Make sure not to have spaces in the name. And you're done!
7. Screenshots:Minecraft Steve by The Blue Blur
8. Reminder:I've been using "00030800" on this guide because my 3DS is US Region. If your 3DS isn't US, here are some other IDs:
- Citra Emulator
- Dump shared_font.bin and NAND
- Dump game and game's update
- Move them to their respective folder
- Use HackingToolKit3DS to extract and rebuild roms
- Game ID:
So that's pretty much it. Although, I did try to install the latest version of Mario Kart 7 CTGP-7, I kinda have it but some of the stuff doesn't show up for some reason. Who knows. FAQs will be added soon since I'm new to Mario Kart 7 Modding.