This tutorial will tell you how to extract the Genesis ROMs from a PS2 disc of Sega Genesis Collection. This way, you can play the games on a device powerful enough to run Genesis games, even if it isn't powerful enough to run PlayStation 2 games. Additionally, this method does not require a PlayStation 2 console, you for some reason have the game but not the console, you can still get some use out of it, as PlayStation 2 emulators typically require a BIOS from the console.
What you need:
- a PS2 copy of Sega Genesis Collection
- a computer + disk drive
- PowerISO (You don't need to buy it; just download the free version.)
- First, you need to convert your disc into an ISO file. Do this by putting the disk in your disk drive and opening up ImgBurn. Select "Create image file from disk". Click the button near the bottom left (the disk and arrow). Wait for the image file to be created; when it's done, you will hear a jingle. Then, find the ISO file created by ImgBurn; I think the location of the file can vary between computers but for me it was in the root of my D drive.
- Open the ISO file with PowerISO, and select the 0CLASSIC folder. Then click "Extract". Extract the folder to an empty folder.
- At this point you should have a "0CLASSIC" folder inside an empty folder on your hard drive. Extract offzip.zip to be with the 0CLASSIC folder. Make a folder called "ROMs" and give it this folder structure:
- This folder structure is necessary because offzip only writes to existing folders and does not create new ones. Next, create a text file, and put this in it:
- Rename this text file to a batch file by changing the extension from .txt to .bat (You will have to check "File name extensions" in Windows file exprorer if you've never done this before.).
- At this point, you should have a folder that looks like this: Run the .bat file, and offzip will put several files into each folder in the AE, FR, and SZ folders within "ROMs". The extraction process takes some time, and many errors will appear, because much of the .SR files are not extracted, even though the ROMs are. When the extraction process is done, you can open the ROMs folder and find several .dat files. Some of these are Genesis ROMs; some of them are not, but generally the biggest file in a folder is the ROM. Note that there are six folders that do not contain a Genesis ROM; this is because they are arcade games, not Genesis games.
- So now you have the ROMs extracted. You can move them into one folder and name them correctly if you wish, and you may want to at least change the file extension from .dat to .gen so they are recognized by emulators.
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\ABEAST16.SR ROMs\AE\ABEAST16 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\ALEXKIDD.SR ROMs\AE\ALEXKIDD 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\ALTEREDB.SR ROMs\AE\ALTEREDB 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\BONANZAB.SR ROMs\AE\BONANZAB 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\COLUMNS.SR ROMs\AE\COLUMNS 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\COMIXZON.SR ROMs\AE\COMIXZON 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\DECAP.SR ROMs\AE\DECAP 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\ECCO.SR ROMs\AE\ECCO 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\ECCO2.SR ROMs\AE\ECCO2 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\AE\ECCOJR.SR ROMs\AE\ECCOJR 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\FLICKY.SR ROMs\FR\FLICKY 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\FUTURESP.SR ROMs\FR\FUTURESP 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\GAING.SR ROMs\FR\GAING 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\GAXE.SR ROMs\FR\GAXE 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\GAXE2.SR ROMs\FR\GAXE2 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\GAXE3.SR ROMs\FR\GAXE3 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\KIDCHAM.SR ROMs\FR\KIDCHAM 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\PSTAR2.SR ROMs\FR\PSTAR2 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\PSTAR3.SR ROMs\FR\PSTAR3 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\PSTAR4.SR ROMs\FR\PSTAR4 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\FR\RISTAR.SR ROMs\FR\RISTAR 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\SHINOBI2.SR ROMs\SZ\SHINOBI2 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\SHINOBI3.SR ROMs\SZ\SHINOBI3 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\SONIC.SR ROMs\SZ\SONIC 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\SONIC2.SR ROMs\SZ\SONIC2 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\SOV.SR ROMs\SZ\SOV 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\STHUNDER.SR ROMs\SZ\STHUNDER 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\TACSCAN.SR ROMs\SZ\TACSCAN 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\VECTMAN.SR ROMs\SZ\VECTMAN 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\VECTMAN2.SR ROMs\SZ\VECTMAN2 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\VFIGHT2.SR ROMs\SZ\VFIGHT2 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\ZAXXON.SR ROMs\SZ\ZAXXON 0
offzip.exe -a 0CLASSIC\SZ\ZEKTOR.SR ROMs\SZ\ZEKTOR 0
Using this method to extract ROMs also extracts some arcade files. Although I tried using the extracted arcade files with MAME, I was unable to get it to work. I think this method may not extract all of the arcade ROM, since arcade ROMs are typically split across multiple files. I've never used an arcade ROM before, so maybe my error is just in how I am using the ROM.
The PS2 game, "Midway Arcade Treasures", also uses the .SR format, but I have been unable to get anything useful out of it. If you know how to get usable arade ROMs from Midway Arcade Treasures or Sega Genesis Collection, please message me; I'd love to hear how you did it.