Note: Installing Smash 3DS Mods is the same for other games with SaltySD support but in a different directory.
Example is Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon:
Just read the PATCHING.md
If you're 3DS is not modded and below firmware 11.4, please follow this guide to install CFW on your 3DS. DO IT PROPERLY! If your 3DS is updated to 11.6, you're screwed unless you own a compatible flashcart for NTRBoot Method or a friend who have CFW so that you could do the Seedminer Method. Follow the guide for Seedminer and follow the guide for NTRBoot(if you already own a compatible flashcart).
Come back here once you're done modding your 3DS.
If you have CFW and on 11.6 onwards, you can proceed to this guide.
- Modded 3DS with Luma CFW
- Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
- SaltySD's code.ips
- A Mod that you want to install
- Smash Selector(Optional)
- Open Luma Configuration by holding Select while pressing the Power button
- Check "Enable game patching" and then hit Start to boot up to the menu screen
- Power off your 3DS and insert your SD Card to your computer
Installing SaltySD(No Smash Selector):
- On your SD Card, open luma folder and create a new folder called "titles" and then create a folder and name it after your game's ID:
- Paste the code.ips to the folder
- Make sure the name should be "code" and not "saltysd-code"
Installing SaltySD(Smash Selector):Just follow this guide(GBATemp) or this guide(Gamebanana) for Smash Selector.
I'm not a Smash Selector user. I did try it out before. It's a nice app though. Highly recommended to those New 3DS(both New 3DS and New 3DS XL) user cause you don't like to unscrew the back cover the whole time you tried to install a mod. :)
- Download a specific mod that you like here on Gamebanana(Wii U sounds would work for 3DS but you have to rename them), GBATemp(mainly this one and this one), or other sites.
- If the mod contains a model folder or other folders, place them inside smash folder and you're done.
- If the mod doesn't contains a model folder or something, create a new folder. Here are the directories for characters:
Low Poly Models:
saltysd\smash\model\fighter\<japanese names of the fighter>\body\c0x <-- change x to 0-7
High Poly Models:
saltysd\smash\model\fighter\<japanese names of the fighter>\body\h0x <-- change x to 0-7
- For musics and sounds, here's the directory:
saltysd\smash\sound\bgm(background music), se(sound effects), vc(voice clips)
- Inject your SD Card and then insert to your 3DS
- Open Smash 3DS and wait for it to load(some modpacks like UsM-eM, Neos, and Turbo'd will load too slow when you first install them, depending on the type of SD card you use)
- Luma Config: select Enable Game Patching
Ignore the rest of the option that I checked. Plus, I haven't updated Luma yet. ONLY check Enable Game Patching
- SaltySD bin or ips should be named code
FAQ:Q: Are these mods Wifi-Safe?
A: Most mods are Wifi-Safe. Modpacks like UsM-eM, Neos, or Turbo'd or custom stages like Sector Z or Metal Cavern are not Wifi-Safe. But if your friend have modded 3DS and installed the same mods as yours, you can play with it as long as it's not For Fun and For Glory.
Q: Does SaltySD supports 1.1.7?
Q: HELP! I'm using Smash Selector and I can't see my mods!
A: Please check your saltysd folder and make sure that the folder should be "smash" folder instead of smash1 or whatever.
Q: The game froze/crash!
A: Try removing the ui folder. Some reported that the cause of the froze could be UI. So deleting them would work. For mods without UI, that's likely unknown. Try deleting everything inside smash folder and install them back.
There are also reports that their SD Card is not good. Make sure your SD Card have FAT32 and Speed Class 10.
Q: There's a weird black outline on the character. How to fix it?
A: These "black outlines" on imported characters is the edge.mbn. To remove it, download this one and place it on c0x or h0x(change x to 0-7) or modify your own.
Q: Hmm? On Team Battle, I can't tell which one is my teammate when I'm using an import. Help.
A: edge.mbn is responsible for the outlines and team colors. It's merely impossible to edit edge.mbn's model for now.
Q: I wanted to add these mods in my modpack!
A: You could as long as you asked permission to the creator of the mod. There are several mods added here without permission to the creators. In the end, these modpacks will get deleted for not asking permission.
Q: Can I post someone's mod from GBATemp to Gamebanana?
A: NO! That's considered stealing. as If you asked permission to the creator or you ARE the creator in a different name, you should(with proof like say something on GBATemp). Also, if you post someone's mod, make sure you set as REDISTRIBUTOR.
Q: Can you link me to nudes for Smash 3DS?
Q: Is it safe for me and my opponent who use the same stage import on For Glory?
A: Not sure. But don't try to use one imported stage with modified collision online. You might get into trouble like banning.
Q: Can we use Neos/UsM-eM's skins and sounds online?
A: Sure! But you have to delete the anim folder or anything that is edited like param and animCMD.
Q: Will this work on older versions like 1.1.4 or 1.0.0?
A: No. SaltySD only support the latest version.
Q: Can I use Wii U's .nud and .nut to the 3DS?
A: No because they're using different format. If you want to play Wii U imports on the 3DS, you should make a request and let someone port it to the 3DS.
Q: When I try to add c08/h08 or more for additional costume, it won't work.
A: You need to modify ui_character_db.bin and extend the costume slot to make it work.
There are plenty of questions about installing mods or whatnot. Anyways, enjoy using them. :)
If you want Model Import or Texture Hack, don't ask here. Go here.