Information: This is a tutorial on how to mod Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.It is a long, hard, and tedious task. Make sure you have over 3GB on your SD card. Note that when I say to make a backup, it is important to do so, because some files you edit could crash the game. If this does happen, replace the edited file with the backup. This will fix the crash. I'm not 100% sure this is needed, but you may need to enable “loading external FIRMs and modules” and “Enable game patching.”
Locations of models, textures, etc. (I did not discover this information)
- Pokemon Models are in a/0/0/8
- Trainer Overworlds are in a/0/2/1
- Trainer Battle Models are in a/1/3/3
- Trainer mugshot images are in a/1/6/0
- Map models are in a/0/3/9
- Map Textures are in a/0/1/4
Things you will need
- The pack I put in the tutorial.
- An SD card with an estimate of 3 GB’s or more.
- Time and patience
Part 1- Dumping the Game
- Dumping the game- First make sure you have Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire in your 3ds. Go to Decrypt and go to game cart dumper options, then go to Dump Cart to cia. This will take some time. Once it is done, go to content decryptor options, then cia file options. Finally go to cia decrypter (deep) Once it is done, take your SD card out of your 3ds and put it into your computer.
- Go to the files9 folder, and find your dumped and decrypted game and make a new folder on your desktop. Name it something like “ORAS hacks.” Make a new folder in that folder and name it “ORAS dump” or something that you will remember. Then put your cia file of ORAS into the folder named something like “ORAS dump.”
- Download this pack
- Open up the Hacking tool setup, follow the instructions, and install the Hacking tool. Then put the hacking tool (not the setup) in the folder with your cia file. Open up the Hacking tool, and enter “CE” into it. Now copy and paste the name of your cia file (without .cia) into the Hacking tool. When it says y/n say y. Now it should be extracting (this may take awhile.)
Part 2- Model Swapping
- After the game is done extracting, there should some files and folders. There will be a folder called “ExtractedRomFS” open that folder. There will be a folder called “a” open it.
- Go to the folder with the files you want to use to model swap. There should be files inside of it with numbers for names. Open pk3ds and go to misc tools, then (de) compress LZ11. Select the number file that has the models you want to swap, and it will decompress them. (depending on how big the file is this may take awhile.)
- Find the two files that you want to model swap, (information on item locations above the guide,) and make backups of them. Make 2 backups of the model you are swapping to replace the old model, and one backup of the model that you are replacing with the new model. On one of the backups for the model that is replacing the old model, rename it the name of the model you are replacing.
- Copy the file of the model you renamed, and paste it into your folder with all the models. When the computer asks to replace the old file, say yes.
- Use Garctool to repack the folder by dragging it in Garctool and clicking process. This may take awhile.
Note: To make things simpler, I showed how to get luma to use the mods at the end of the tutorial.
Part 3- Texture Editing
- Find the folder with the textures you want to edit. There should be files inside of it with numbers for names. Open pk3ds and go to misc tools, then (de) compress LZ11. Select the number file that has the models you want to swap, and it will decompress them. (depending on how big the file is this may take awhile.)
- Now open Ohana3ds Rebirth. Open the file with the textures you want to edit, and export the textures.
- Now open Paint.net and open the textures that were exported. Edit them however you want to (recommended not to change the size of the textures,) and then save.
- Open Ohana3ds (not rebirth) and open the texture file in it. Replace the texture with the new one you edited. Then save.
Part 4- Using the Mods
- Put your SD card into your computer and go into your luma folder.
- Make a folder called “titles” (all of this is case sensitive, ignore the quotation marks.) Inside that make a folder with the title id of your game. Website for title id’s- http://www.3dsdb.com/
- Inside that make a “romfs” folder, and inside of that make an “a” folder. From here, copy the folder structure of where your model swap or texture edit is located. Inside the last folder, put the compressed file with the mods inside of the last folder. The compressed file will be called something like “1_g.garc or whatever number you used. Rename it to just the number without the _g or the .garc (this will not break the file.)
- Put your SD card back into your 3ds and make sure it works.