This is a guide to help you making better combat surf maps for hl2 based engines.
This guide is meant as instruction-guidelines for this contest: http://gamebanana.com/contests/86
Good ideas to consider
- Players get teleported when hitting the map bottom. Usually to a Jail or a crowded area.
- A top to bottom layered map. It's good to mix the height of the platforms considered of top, jail, spawn and something near the ground (this is not a must). Surf_greatriver_xdre4m is a great example of this.
- Expanded skybox. After your map is done, it’s a good idea to give the players more aerial distance by increasing the skybox slightly more than you had it set to.
- Having a “main ramp” where both CT and T start from.
Not good ideas to consider
- Avoid anything that can potentially stop the flow of surfing ex: set a wall in front of a teleporter, railbugs (model bugs that makes the player get stuck on a ramp), places where people can hide for a longer period of time.
- Avoid see through walls that makes gameplay biased and unfair.
- Avoid game changing easter-eggs, easter-eggs are allowed though!
- You can also get too fast, don’t max those booster values!
- Camping spots. You can’t avoid them, but you can help making campers vulnerable!
ConVars to help you test out your surf maps
// Old known CS:GO surf bug that caused push triggers to reverse.
Plugins to help you test out your surf maps:Movement Unlocker
CSGO Weapon Tweaks
If you by chance use push triggers that makes you fly upwards
How to make surf ramps:
Examples of good Arena type Combat surf maps:
- surf_greatriver, surf_greatriver_xdre4m
- surf_machine2 (CS:S only)
- surf_ski_nova3, surf_ski_2_GO
A guide on how to surf