WARNING: Please DO NOT expect that you will be able to play brutalized version of ANY mods! The steps showed here ONLY WORKS with simple mods, that consists mostly of custom maps. Or, in other words, it doesn't have any new weapons/enemies/etc.
If you want to follow the guide, but don't have any mods to convert, you can try this mod: MINIMICUS (by SlayerA). This is the mod that I've tried myself, and most importantly, it works. Alright, let's get started.
Install Brutal Half-LifeI'm pretty sure you have already done this before. ;)
Install The ModDo a fresh install on a mod that you want to convert. You know the drill.
Check FeasibilityNext, we need to check whether the mod is convertible at all.
Open the mod folder. If the mod folder contains cl_dlls or dlls folder (and they are not empty/contain some DLL files), then the mod is NOT convertible. Tough luck.
Also, if the mod folder has models or sound or sprites folder, or it has a PAK file (typically named pak0.pak), then the conversion is still possible, but with a downside: some of the custom contents of the mod may be replaced.
For instance, all of the custom NPCs will be replaced by standard Half-Life NPCs. Unfortunately, unless someone makes a "brutal" version of the custom NPCs, there's no way around this fact. One has to use the standard NPCs.
Copy Brutal Half-Life FilesAfter we found out that the mod is convertible, we start to copy contents from Brutal Half-Life to the mod folder:
- Copy these folders from Brutal Half-Life mod folder (named bhl in Half-Life main directory). Paste and replace to the mod folder:
- Copy config.cfg and decals.wad from BHL folder; paste and replace them to the mod folder.
- Open any text editor (for example, Notepad)
- Using the editor, open liblist.gam file located in the mod folder.
- Replace this line:
- Save the file.
- Playtest the mod! Hopefully you will get a bug-free, brutalized version of the mod.
gamedll "..\valve\dlls\hl.dll"with this:
Good luck and have fun!
UPDATE: List of Compatible ModsDue to rarity of (well-made) convertible mods, I've decided to compile a list of compatible mods that I've playtested myself. I will update the list from time to time.
- Black Mesa Sideline
- Brave Brain
- Challenger Deep 2, The
- Edge of Darkness
- ETC: Dave Johnston's classic (creator of de_dust series). Some very minor custom content got replaced (standard scientists and barneys with moustache). Other than that, works perfectly.
- Gut Reaction
- Radix: Some static models in the level get glitchy (frozen aliens), but it doesn't disrupt gameplay in any way.
- Smart Decoy: There are some "zombie grunts" in the intro. XD The good news is, although it has a PAK file, no custom contents are replaced.
- Someplace Else