I would like to introduce you to Larry. He's a crane. However, he's not a very happy crane. You see, his brother, Farry, is a rigged .mdl file with textures that can be used in the GoldSrc engine. Here he is moving around and enjoying life:
Larry however, is simple a Milkshape .ms3d file with no textures and no hook! He cannot be used in CS :(
In this tutorial, we will take Larry the crane and turn him from a plain, life-less being, into a fully animating, textured success!
Download the tutorial and example files here: [DOWNLOAD TUTORIAL (692 Kb)](http://files.gamebanana.com/bitpit/gbtutorial.zip "DL")
In the tutorial, I will go through 4 main steps to teach you how to make textured models in Milkshape, and then animate and compile them for use in the GoldSrc engine. I've marked the tutorial as Intermediate, as you should have a basic understanding of how _Milkshape_, _JHLMV_ and models in the _GoldSrc_ engine work.
- Part 1 is all about making complex shapes in Milkshape
- Part 2 goes through adding texture to your Milkshape model
- Part 3 talks about everything to do with skeletons and animation
- Part 4 is about compiling your _.ms3d_ model into a _.mdl_ file.
If you haven't got these programmes already, please download them:
1. [Milkshape v1.8 +](http://www.milkshape3d.com/ "Milkshape")
2. [Jed's Half-Life Model viewer](http://www.wunderboy.org/apps/jhlmv.php "JHLMV")
3. [IrfanView](http://www.irfanview.com/ "IrfanView")
They are important in the process of this tutorial, and Milkshape is a must.
You will find all the files I used to make and compile Larry in the download. Start from scratch and follow through the instructions. Can you save Larry from a static life with no texture?
**P.S. The above text was NOT the tutorial. Please download my .zip file with the link above named "DOWNLOAD TUTORIAL". Thankyou :)**