1. IntroductionThe wait is finally over! No longer will you have to manually merge conflicting bin files found in different mods. This is the latest and greatest
2. How to Use
- For preappfile to unpack for Persona 4 Golden, you'll need .NET Core 3.1 Desktop Runtime x64.
- For YACPKTool to unpack/pack cpk's for Persona 5, you'll need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
- For Persona 4 Golden on PC, make sure you've set up Reloaded-II and the P4G mod loader first and foremost.
- For Persona 3 FES, setup HostFS for mod loading.
- For Persona 5, setup the proper patches for mod loading from mod.cpk. Just ignore the Setting Up Mod Compendium section since you'll be using Aemulus instead.
- For Persona 5 Strikers, nothing is need other than Aemulus!
2.2. Pointing to the Correct Output DirectoryAfter unzipping the download, just double-click AemulusPackageManager.exe to launch the program.
The first thing you'll want to do is click the Config (Cog Icon) button on the top left. From there click the Select Output Folder button on top. Select the mods folder found in your Persona 4 Golden Steam game directory. This is where your merged mod loadout will be output.
- For Persona 4 Golden, select the mods folder found in your Persona 4 Golden Steam game directory. This is where your merged mod loadout will be output.
- For Persona 3 FES, select the same folder that SLUS_216.21.ELF is located.
- For Persona 5, select \PS3_GAME\USRDIR found by right clicking the game in RPCS3 and selecting Open Install Folder.
- For Persona 5 Strikers, select ...\P5S\data\motor_rsc.
2.3. Unpacking Base FilesIn order to merge files, Aemulus needs to unpack your game's base files first. You only need to do this once. If you download another update for Aemulus Package Manager, you can just move the contents of the Original folder to the new update's one without having to unpack again.
Open the Config menu and fill out all the paths, then click Unpack Base Files. A prompt to select the necessary path will come up if you click the button without filling out the paths. You'll find the unpacked files for Aemulus in your Original/
Keep in mind that Persona 3 FES and Persona 5 take a much longer time than Persona 4 Golden to unpack.
Persona 5 Strikers doesn't need to unpack any base files but instead makes copies of the original files and rdbs that will be patched and replaced on the first run through.
2.4. Adding PackagesOnce you've set up Aemulus, drop your extracted mods into the Packages/
After clicking refresh, you'll see all of your packages appear in the middle of the Aemulus window.
You can now click the New button on the top right to create a directory along with metadata and a preview. The directory will pop up when you click confirm and you can drop the contents of the mod inside.
2.5. Setting Up Your Loadout/Package PriorityNext, you'll need to set up your package loadout. Packages are disabled by default, so enable the ones you want by checking the box to the left of each package.
You can drag and drop mods to move them up and down in order of priority. A higher priority mod has its files merged later, meaning it will overwrite more packages and fewer packages will overwrite it.
If you'd like Higher Priority to be shown on the bottom, you can easily swap them using the Up and Down Arrow button on the top right.
Remember, any mod will work with Aemulus, but the mod creator has to either use loose files or provide a mods.aem file for bin merging to be supported. Without either, a package with a bin file will overwrite the file completely, so it's recommended that you put non-Aemulus mods at the bottom of the grid.
2.6. Final Step - Merging and Building Your LoadoutPlease note that Aemulus will completely erase the previous contents of your output folder when creating a loadout with the exception of the .elf for Persona 3 and everything else in USRDIR for Persona 5. Back up your current folder if you aren't sure about the changes you're making, and make sure not to use a location like Desktop for your output.
Finally, to merge all supported bin files and build your loadout , just click the Build button (Hammer icon) at the top. The console at the bottom will print what Aemulus manager is currently doing.
Don't worry if it seems like the console is stuck on "unpacking" something. Some files take longer than others to unpack.
A window will pop up once everything is complete. Congratulations, you're all done!
Now when you run P4G through Reloaded-II, the game will utilize your brand new loadout.
3. Downloading Mods
4. Extracting/ZippingYou can drag folders/zips over the New Package button (Folder with +) to extract/move them into the proper directories. This is a QoL feature implemented due to many end users messing up the specific directory structure many mods should have. For modders, there's also the right click option to zip the package as a .7z to the file location of choice.
5. Compatibility with P4G Music ManagerSince Aemulus Package Manager deletes the entire mods directory everytime you rebuild, it also deletes the mods/SND folder which P4G Music Manager utilizes. To add compatibility I added a checkbox in the Config menu to Empty SND Folder. By default, it leaves the SND folder in tact. Enabling it will delete the SND Folder.
6. Launching the Game from the ManagerA new QoL feature added in v1.2 is the Launch button (now looks like a rocket ship). This is used to be able to launch your modded game straight from the package manager after building your loadout. You can setup the paths for this to work in the config menu. Under P4G Launch Shortcut click browse to select P4G.exe and Reloaded-II.exe in their proper spots. Once you picked valid exe's, the Launch button on the main window will now start the game for you.
7. For Mod CreatorsFor more information how to create/convert mods to be made mergeable by Aemulus, see the GitHub's README.md
8.1. What makes a mod Aemulus Compatible?All mods are compatible with Aemulus, some just might need a simple directory change. The contents of the directory should be in the root folder of the Package alongside the Package.xml and optional Preview.png
8.2. What about mods that are made for Mod Compendium?These mods just need to have a simple directory change to make them work in Aemulus. Just drop these mods in the Packages folder and hit refresh. Aemulus will automatically convert these mods for you thanks to ShrineFox.
8.3. Why is my antivirus acting up?For some reason the latest update triggered some of my testers' antivirus programs. Also make sure your antivirus didn't block any of the Dependencies. Simply make AemulusPackageManager.exe an exception in order to use it. The code base is now open source so feel free to look through it and even build it yourself if you're still worried about the antivirus notification.
8.4. An error occurred saying that access is denied. What do I do?If this happens, run AemulusPackageManager.exe as an administrator. This happened because the exe didn't have the proper permissions to clear out what's currently in the output folder.
9. Future PlansI have a lot of ideas in mind to keep on improving Aemulus. These include the following:
- Improve my code and algorithms to optimize the merging process
- Add separators between mods (requested by Pixelguin to use for his modpack)
- Merging bmd files
If you have any suggestions/issues for Aemulus please make a Github Issue. For simple troubleshooting help feel free to ask in #troubleshooting in my Discord Server. I'm also very active on the Discord found on the Gamebanana page for Persona 4 Golden if you wish to talk to me there.