Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have
paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills
and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3
Alternate SMD-to-CSV File Conversion Script
- A Modding Tool for Mario Kart 8
This is an alternate version of smd2csv.py used in the creation of model mods. I created this because there was some sort of bug in the smd2csv script that was sometimes converting models incorrectly and causing them to become a polygonal mess in game, so if you were having glitchy issues with model mods, try using this script instead.
This script is coded using Java instead of Python so using it is a little different:
1. In Windows Explorer, while in the folder containing the downloaded script, type "cmd" (without quotes) in the folder location bar and press enter to bring up the command line.
2. Type "java -jar csvconv.jar" (without quotes), and press enter.
3. From Windows Explorer, click and drag the SMD file into the command prompt and press enter.
4. If everything worked correctly, the script should make a CSV file called "dope" (or, dope_2, if it already exists). You can then use BFRES_Vertex.py with the CSV file.
This script automatically rigs vertex weights to 2 vertices maximu to prevent the vertex-stretching-across-the-race-course glitch. The script should also work with other Wii U and Switch games, but I designed it primarily for Mario Kart 8 for Wii U, so I cannot guarantee it will work for other games.
The fully-commented source code is also available.