Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Steam game resolutions - A Forum Thread for Steam.

Monitor not supporting typical resolutions.

First things first: I need to change my resolution so that the screen of any steam game is centered. At the moment I can only see the last 2 letters of some menu options and there is a black space where the screen has been pushed to the left. I'm thinking that a resolution change will cease this. I go to change my resolution to my usual and my screen refuses it, going blue saying "mode not supported". My typical screen resolution is 1360x768 at an aspect ratio of 16:9. I need to find the file in which the video settings are placed, otherwise I need to keep re-installing the games, like I am at the moment. Help would be appreciated.
  • Majin_DiggZ avatar
    Majin_DiggZ Joined 17y ago
    4,007 points Ranked 3,030th
    15y
    To set a resolution on start up, simply go to your steam games window, right click the game and click properties and then; launch options Now in that start up line, just add the following: -w 1360 -h 768 Now press ok. That should force that res upon boot up, but no promises; chances are if it doesnt support it, it wont run regardless of what you do, hope that helps. EDIT: By the way, is there always a black gap with your monitor?
    To see light - learn the exten avatar
    Mantra
    To see light - learn the exten
    URL to post:
  • Supa Scoopa avatar
    Supa Scoopa Joined 17y ago
    4,263 points Ranked 2,781st
    15y
    The startup commands that Diggz mentioned should work fine, you can just hope that the resolution is supported. On a side note I have a similar problem with having a high resolution (1680x1050, 16:10) as it drains a lot of speed from the game play and if I switch to "normal" 4:3 ration resolutions everything will appear stretched and my mouse movement will act strange one the y-axis. I would really appreciate if someone knows a way to center the resolution with 2 black spaces on each side of the screen (the only alternative right now is playing in Windowed Mode which I despise). I know that Sony Vaio Laptops do that on default, but is there any way to make the above work on a common wide screen?
    URL to post:
  • Majin_DiggZ avatar
    15y
    Posted by Gez The startup commands that Diggz mentioned should work fine, you can just hope that the resolution is supported. On a side note I have a similar problem with having a high resolution (1680x1050, 16:10) as it drains a lot of speed from the game play and if I switch to "normal" 4:3 ration resolutions everything will appear stretched and my mouse movement will act strange one the y-axis. I would really appreciate if someone knows a way to center the resolution with 2 black spaces on each side of the screen (the only alternative right now is playing in Windowed Mode which I despise). I know that Sony Vaio Laptops do that on default, but is there any way to make the above work on a common wide screen?
    I take it your playing on a widescreen with that aspect ratio mate? I imagine 4:3 wont look particularly good on widescreen, dont know about the mouse movement though.. that sounds a little odd. But anyway try lowering your res, 1680x1050 is pretty intensive for a Laptop GPU, you dont really need to fiddle with aspect ratio. EDIT: I imagine if you switch to 4:3 you will have to manually adjust the screen positioning on the LCD, I wouldnt know how to do it on a vaio though, good luck
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Supa Scoopa avatar
    15y
    I know and that's why I want to play on lower resolutions, but as I (and now also you) said, the screen is distorted. The problem is 1680x1050 is the lowest resolution supported by Steam games in 16:10 ratio... Any other suggestions? Edit following your edit: I don't have a Vaio, I've got a Toshiba Satellite M60 and that's the problem, as the Vaio has the function I'm trying to get with my laptop built in by default... So I'm looking for a way to get a similar effect on mine. I'll try and fiddle around with screen positioning and see how it turns out... The same should work for you as well, Shifty, because if some parts of the screen are cut off just try another resolution and try changing the positioning a bit.
    URL to post:
  • Sh1fty avatar
    Sh1fty Joined 17y ago
    6,667 points Ranked 1,617th
    9 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    15y
    On the game I have a black space to the left hand side. Stupid pc crashed, need to re-install it again.
    Spam. avatar
    Mantra
    Spam.
    URL to post:
  • Majin_DiggZ avatar
    15y
    Posted by Gez I know and that's why I want to play on lower resolutions, but as I (and now also you) said, the screen is distorted. The problem is 1680x1050 is the lowest resolution supported by Steam games in 16:10 ratio... Any other suggestions? Edit following your edit: I don't have a Vaio, I've got a Toshiba Satellite M60 and that's the problem, as the Vaio has the function I'm trying to get with my laptop built in by default... So I'm looking for a way to get a similar effect on mine. I'll try and fiddle around with screen positioning and see how it turns out...
    Well, heres a daft stab in the dark (But what the hell eh?), but change your aspect ratio first, and then your res, that way aspects are resized first and then translated into a different res EDIT: and then perhaps have a fiddle with the screen positioning
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Majin_DiggZ avatar
    15y
    Posted by Sh1fty On the game I have a black space to the left hand side. Stupid pc crashed, need to re-install it again.
    Try a different res mate, 1024 by 768 is a commonly supported one
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Sh1fty avatar
    Sh1fty Joined 17y ago
    15y
    CSS is just updating now, waiting for it to be playable :D
    Spam. avatar
    Mantra
    Spam.
    URL to post:
  • Sh1fty avatar
    Sh1fty Joined 17y ago
    15y
    Got it running, still not working :/ All I need to do is find the file that stores the resolution information and fix it.
    Spam. avatar
    Mantra
    Spam.
    URL to post:
  • Supa Scoopa avatar
    15y
    I found a way to get around my problem, maybe it will work for you as well (or at least in a similar way). I changed my desktop resolution to 1280x1024 and unticked "Scale Image" in my advanced ATI control panel. In case you don't have a ATI card, I'm sure you'll find a similar option on your PC. Good luck.
    URL to post:
  • Sh1fty avatar
    Sh1fty Joined 17y ago
    15y
    Thanks, i will try that. ---------------------- I have just realised that if the screen is a resolution of 1280x768 then it cuts off the end by about 1/5, the same way css does.
    Spam. avatar
    Mantra
    Spam.
    URL to post:
  • nayt avatar
    nayt Joined 17y ago
    15y
    Alredy tried to change it in the "regedit"?
    :C avatar
    Mantra
    :C
    URL to post:
  • Sh1fty avatar
    Sh1fty Joined 17y ago
    15y
    Posted by Gez I found a way to get around my problem, maybe it will work for you as well (or at least in a similar way). I changed my desktop resolution to 1280x1024 and unticked "Scale Image" in my advanced ATI control panel. In case you don't have a ATI card, I'm sure you'll find a similar option on your PC. Good luck.
    I don't really know what i'm looking for and where.
    Posted by naYt Alredy tried to change it in the "regedit"?
    What?
    Spam. avatar
    Mantra
    Spam.
    URL to post:
  • Sh1fty avatar
    Sh1fty Joined 17y ago
    15y
    I just ran a valve hardware test and it showed me that css ran in a wierd resolution of 848xsomething. I then realised I entered a bad code in (the thing that Diggz told me to enter). Once I fixed that, I was able to go onto my proper resolutions! Problem Solved
    Spam. avatar
    Mantra
    Spam.
    URL to post: