CSS modding?

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Yo, buddy. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Degger points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Sound fun?

Already a Bananite? Login

Where should I start?

Alright, me and my friend want's to make a mod to CSS. You know like Gungame and deathmatch. But we don't know how.... Where should I start? What do I need to know? Is there any tutorials out there? /Degger

• 10y
    Obsolete avatar
    Obsolete Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    5,888 points Ranked 766th
    You should learn to code. If you're only making something like deathmatch. But if you want touse custom weapons, you would need a whole dev team (sound artist, modeler, texture artist, etc.).
    brap avatar
    Mantra
    brap
  • 10y
    Enraged avatar
    Enraged Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    2,687 points Ranked 1708th
    First of all, be sure it is CS:S you want to mod. If you want to create a mod that works like Source Forts or Insurgency, that has it's own desktop shortcuts, it is not CS:S you will be modding, but HL2. All CS:S mods work inside the CS:S game, and this can be very limiting on what you are able to accomplish.

The second step is to decide how much content you will be aiming to create, as Obsolete pointed out. If you wish to have brand new skins and models, you will require someone/ a group of people with the ability to create this content. The more you aim to achieve the longer the mod will take to finish, and the more members you will require to help in the creation of the project. Be aware that everyone you recruit has their own lives aswell, so there are another 2 factors that come into the mod creation community. Firstly, you must make sure that all members of the dev team are able to communicate well together and must actually like each other. If you have even 2 members that dissparove of one another, you could be looking at a complete split through the middle of your team as slowly members start to take sides. Secondly, you can also loose members at any stage in production after they realise that their are sometimes more important things to do, especially when they are married, have kids or even a demanding job.

Thirdly and lastly, you will want to make sure that you, yourself are going to be proffesional about the work you are undertaking. If you are doing this for something to do when you are bored, you should stop immediately, because this will waste the time of all the people you hire, and the outcome will not be very nice.

As for where to actually start programming and mapping, you will need to learn C++ if you wish to intergrate new features, but if you only wish to skin and map, go to google and search for the Valve Developer Community. This is the greatest resource on earth for modding and the undertaking of creation of any project as it gives great advice to project leaders, as well as being very specific on how to become an incredible mapper/skinner.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us avatar
    Mantra
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us
  • 10y
    Degger avatar
    Degger Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    157 points Ranked 20979th
    Posted by EaglesSpite

First of all, be sure it is CS:S you want to mod. If you want to create a mod that works like Source Forts or Insurgency, that has it's own desktop shortcuts, it is not CS:S you will be modding, but HL2. All CS:S mods work inside the CS:S game, and this can be very limiting on what you are able to accomplish.

The second step is to decide how much content you will be aiming to create, as Obsolete pointed out. If you wish to have brand new skins and models, you will require someone/ a group of people with the ability to create this content. The more you aim to achieve the longer the mod will take to finish, and the more members you will require to help in the creation of the project. Be aware that everyone you recruit has their own lives aswell, so there are another 2 factors that come into the mod creation community. Firstly, you must make sure that all members of the dev team are able to communicate well together and must actually like each other. If you have even 2 members that dissparove of one another, you could be looking at a complete split through the middle of your team as slowly members start to take sides. Secondly, you can also loose members at any stage in production after they realise that their are sometimes more important things to do, especially when they are married, have kids or even a demanding job.

Thirdly and lastly, you will want to make sure that you, yourself are going to be proffesional about the work you are undertaking. If you are doing this for something to do when you are bored, you should stop immediately, because this will waste the time of all the people you hire, and the outcome will not be very nice.

As for where to actually start programming and mapping, you will need to learn C++ if you wish to intergrate new features, but if you only wish to skin and map, go to google and search for the Valve Developer Community. This is the greatest resource on earth for modding and the undertaking of creation of any project as it gives great advice to project leaders, as well as being very specific on how to become an incredible mapper/skinner.

Thank you very much.

But let's say that I just want to do some easy thing like, every round one player have 200 hp and can only use knife.

What should I do then? Or it's not that easy?
    The man with few words avatar
    Mantra
    The man with few words
  • 10y
    SwatMat avatar
    SwatMat Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    If you need modeler or mapper... You can use me :)
    OMFG = Old Men Flashing Genita avatar
    Mantra
    OMFG = Old Men Flashing Genita
  • 10y
    Degger avatar
    Degger Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by SwatMat

If you need modeler or mapper... You can use me :)

Hehe, thanks :) But wait me and my friend are not sure if we should do a mod.

""
    But let's say that I just want to do some easy thing like, every round one player have 200 hp and can only use knife.

Somebody?

EDIT: Swatmat you know that this is a mod for CSS only?
    Mantra
    The man with few words
  • 10y
    Degger avatar
    Degger Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Is there any tutorials on this?
    Mantra
    The man with few words
  • 10y
    Degger avatar
    Degger Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    *cough* Should I change the description to "Free nude pictures?" :)
    Mantra
    The man with few words
  • 10y
    Suckage avatar
    Suckage Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    149 points Ranked 21766th
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    Posted by Degger

Uh, why not just use Mani Admin? Restrict all weapons and make everyone have 200HP each roundstart. Or just use RPGMod, make the only upgrade Health and the maximum 200. Then just restrict all of the weapons.
    Mantra
  • 10y
    Degger avatar
    Degger Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    But just one person should have knife and 200 hp...
    Mantra
    The man with few words
  • 10y
    Enraged avatar
    Enraged Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    2,687 points Ranked 1708th
    You can make 1 person have it with mani.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us avatar
    Mantra
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us
  • 10y
    Degger avatar
    Degger Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    A random person every round without using admin menu every round?
    Mantra
    The man with few words
  • 10y
    Crazypip666 avatar
    Crazypip666 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    36,268 points Ranked 111st
    15 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    The simplest way is probably Mattie's Eventscripts. Check out the forums here.
    BAD WOLF avatar
    Mantra
    BAD WOLF

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Degger avatar