Bioshock Hardware Performance

SEX! Ok, we got your attention. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending cWanja points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Become a Bananite

Already a Bananite? Login

A run down of a quick run of bioshock from GameSpot

Could not figure if I should send this to the Tech Forum or here, but I slapped it here. GameSpot recently did a run on BioShock, the recently release PC game. Here are their results and comments on each aspect of the performance breakdown.
From the moment you touch land in BioShock, you get the feeling that you've stepped into a scientifically and philosophically misguided world where Leave It to Beaver never drifted out of the psyche. The game takes place in underwater city that's about to crack open from numerous internal and external forces. Water, understandably, plays an enormous role in the game as you'll spend lots of time splashing through it, running around it, and sometimes using it to electrocute your enemies. The developer spared no expense in making it utterly drinkable for the eyes. You're going to need a decent rig to get everything looking just right in BioShock, but even more modest systems can provide a fantastic experience once you knock down a few settings. We used the third-party FRAPs video program to benchmark BioShock because the game doesn't have a built-in test. We created a 30-second run through Rapture's medical facilities for our test. The tour passes through wide-open spaces (or, at least, as wide as they get in BioShock), small corridors, and dark, shadow-ridden rooms. Between these varied environments the test run should be a fair representation of the game. We've divided our guide into four main sections that have the biggest impact on game performance: game settings, video cards, processors, and system memory.
Game Settings
There are definitely a few settings you should tweak if you don't have an up-to-date computer. You can reclaim a lot of performance if you're willing to make a few compromises. Fortunately, the game still looks fantastic at even the lowest-quality settings. We enabled and disabled each setting to see how they affected frame rates, and we've also taken graphics-comparison shots to show you what they do.
Graphics
There's no getting around it: BioShock demands a good video card. The minimum specs require at least a GeForce 6600 GT, but we'd recommend going few notches higher. Find out how the game performs across a variety of video cards, and in Windows Vista with DirectX 10.
CPU
We've found that BioShock benefits from multicore processors. If you're on an aging Pentium 4 or a slower Athlon 64, you might have something to worry about.
Memory
BioShock requires 1GB of memory according to the developer, but we tested the game with 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB of RAM to see how much memory the game really needs to function. The game does load with 512MB of system memory, but the resultant chugging makes the game almost unplayable.
To see a graph with the full system specs, please take a stroll here.

• 10y
    DanOfAction avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    2,783 points Ranked 1650th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    PLayed the demo via Steam... it is awesome however, I don't think my 8600gts is compatible with Vista and maybe thats why I'm having problems with the game...
    !powerrangers avatar
    Mantra
    !powerrangers
  • 10y
    markslo1 avatar
    markslo1 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,787 points Ranked 2627th
    Posted by DanOfAction

PLayed the demo via Steam... it is awesome however, I don't think my 8600gts is compatible with Vista and maybe thats why I'm having problems with the game...

Why do you need vista? Install it on XP . I have it on XP, works just fine.
    OPEN UP YOUR HEARTS PEOPLE! avatar
    Mantra
    OPEN UP YOUR HEARTS PEOPLE!
  • 10y
    Hoffles avatar
    Hoffles Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    10,086 points Ranked 429th
    Posted by DanOfAction

Did you get the Bioshock drivers for your card?
    om nom nom avatar
    Mantra
    om nom nom
  • 10y
    lygris avatar
    lygris Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    212 points Ranked 16897th
    I played it on xp fine with no problems didnt get the drivers either sweet game i have a nvidia geforce 6800 and it worked perfect the only time i got ne lag or choppiness was in a part with like 12 splicers trying to kill me
    MAIM, KILL, BURN!!!!
  • 10y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    3,743 points Ranked 1216th
    I played the demo today(actually right before this post) and the game looks awesome!

I had it medium and other "extra" stuff turned off, my game lagged every time i met an enemy.....
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 10y
    NeoShroomish avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    7 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    Although I guess I'm not the one to be saying this as I have an 8800GTS 640MB, the engine is well optimized and makes good use of the RAM, especially considering the amount of textures used (ie normal, diffuse and spec for nearly every surface).
    Banned
  • 10y
    ircmaster avatar
    ircmaster avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    609 points Ranked 7229th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    That's all BS. I just played the bioshock demo and I had almost an equivalent to what the xbox 360's graphics were on all full settings (besides vsync). If you need my specs, check my profile.
    Not the master of IRC

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

cWanja avatar
cWanja Offline
Member Joined 12y