Lighting Problems

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Members see zero ads. Membership is 100% free

Too Many Light styles on a Face

Okay, so, here's my problem this time... I've been working with lights that if you shoot them they die. Lights in the map are linked together in what I call circuits to simulate that if you shoot one and short it out it'll probably take out the others that are connected with it, right? Well, the problem I'm having shows up when you have multiple light circuits near each other... Light Problem Pic Since the light entities of one circuit are named differently from the ones of all other circuits VRAD counts them as different light styles, even if they're the same colour. Well, because of that you'll get some brushes where they're being hit by light from 4 or more different light styles, and the above happens... Shadows in incorrect places that make the map look like "wtf mate?" The solutions to this problem (and for my map I've worked on this problem for months) are rather simple... -Don't use Breakable Lights and make them all the same colour -Make there be fewer light circuits by making circuits bigger -Put light circuits in different rooms and such so they don't overlap more than 3 times -Limit the distance the light is allowed to cast Now, I've been doing all but solution 1 but I've come to a point where I have 5 problem areas that due to their nature I can't: -Combine light circuits (because it'd make the map lamer...) -Use different rooms (because they're all near doorways and windows) -Limit light casting distance (because it for some reason didn't work?) So, I'd like to know if there's a way you can modify Hammer to allow 4 or 5 light styles per face, or if there's something that I'm missing about light distance limiting that could increase that method's effectiveness since that's the most recent measure I've employed and I think I might be a little confused about part of it.
  • Crazypip666 avatar
    Crazypip666 username pic Joined 13y ago
    39,310 points Ranked 105th
    16 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 12y
    I thought you were allowed 6 styles per face. Can you post the compile log. If you are talking about those black spots on the wall, are they props? If so, what type of props and have you added and built cubemaps?
    BAD WOLF avatar
    Mantra
    BAD WOLF
    URL to post:
  • Natalya avatar
    Natalya Joined 12y ago
    29,144 points Ranked 164th
    21 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • GameBanana/CEVO CSGO Mapping Contest 2014 Entrant Medal icon
    • Winter Warfare Entrant Medal icon
    • 4th Place - Marble Tracks Redux Contest Medal icon
    access_time 12y
    The two black areas on the wall are 2 of the inspirational poster props from cs_office. But I'm more concerned with the screwed up lighting on the ceiling and the wall over by the "I Want You" poster. I don't have that compile log, but the compile before it I do have. Here's the signature error... WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (-655,584,17) WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (-206,442,17) WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (-201,435,17) WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (-566,456,17) WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (-432,360,21) And that's repeated hundreds of times with different coordinates... You said Hammer can support 6 light styles on a face? I earlier had read that it was 3... Perhaps there's been an update or something then? (But this update could have been months ago and I missed it or whatever.) But, point is, the random out of place shadows are the in game manifestations of the "WARNING: Too many light styles on a face" error. Oh, and cubemaps had already been built when I took that picture.
    Trololo avatar
    Mantra
    Trololo
    URL to post:
  • Crazypip666 avatar
    Crazypip666 username pic Joined 13y ago
    39,310 points Ranked 105th
    16 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 12y
    You can definitely have six lighting styles on a face. Source with other info on the error. What type of light entities are you using and what sort of settings are you using which you haven't left as default?
    BAD WOLF avatar
    Mantra
    BAD WOLF
    URL to post:
  • Gone avatar
    Gone Joined 13y ago
    access_time 12y
    Nice poster on the wall, haha.
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner