Sv_pure, how long o lord how long

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending richardnixon points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

They finally released sv_pure, havent tested if it's defaulted to 1 or not but I really don't care to me it's a bummer since I can't use my beloved custom models/skins/sounds What is the general consensus among the community? (theres a old thread about this but its obsolete since sv_pure is releeased) I didnt even bother posting/looking on steampowered.com because I'm sure they can care less I'm so bummed out (I haven't played css yet today so someone tell me if we can still use custom weapon/player models)

• 10y
    PurplG avatar
    PurplG Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,699 points Ranked 2759th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    What's sv_pure? I read on google for other games (Quake 3) that it doesn't allow any PK3 files. Is that for CS:S where you can't have any custom models or something?
    inorite avatar
    Mantra
    inorite
  • 10y
    Rent-a-Retard avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    575 points Ranked 7668th
    Posted by PurplG

What's sv_pure? I read on google for other games (Quake 3) that it doesn't allow any PK3 files. Is that for CS:S where you can't have any custom models or something?

Exactly. Instead of having to uninstall all of your skins, it just loads out your default files, so you can have custom skins, but when you play on servers with sv_pure on, you use defaults. That way, scrimming and league is a lot easier.
    One more round. avatar
    Mantra
    One more round.
  • 10y
    SGT_kick_ur_ass avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    4,992 points Ranked 929th
    Sv_pure won't cause many real problems. If a server has it enabled, you won't be able to use custom content but instead, it will load that default content from the gcfs. It's not as bad as sv_consistency.
    Turbosmooth dat shit. avatar
    Mantra
    Turbosmooth dat shit.
  • 10y
    PurplG avatar
    PurplG Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,699 points Ranked 2759th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    Eh, doesn't bother me too much. I don't use custom skins too often. Except the Poke Finger Knife. <3 I love it.

Actually I kind of like it. I'm sick of hackers.
    inorite avatar
    Mantra
    inorite
  • 10y
    It stops mathackers im all for it ty valve!
    well im me what else?
  • 10y
    richardnixon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    It stop hackers, but I just went into a bunch of pubs that had it turned off. (i only pub when i play css, i blow)

it's good I don't have to uninstall them but it's still a bummer. it doesn't affect playability, it really improves it with the deterrence of vmt/vtf/whatever hackers

I can live without my skins, but some of my skins/sounds make me actually want to use the gun..eh there's nothing i can do about it just wanted the communitys response
    I am not a crook.
  • 10y
    jacko87 avatar
    jacko87 Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    252 points Ranked 15014th
    I love my skins and all, but I'm willing to give them up to play on a server with less cheaters.
    Bananite
  • 10y
    Posted by richardnixon

It stop hackers, but I just went into a bunch of pubs that had it turned off. (i only pub when i play css, i blow)

it's good I don't have to uninstall them but it's still a bummer. it doesn't affect playability, it really improves it with the deterrence of vmt/vtf/whatever hackers

I can live without my skins, but some of my skins/sounds make me actually want to use the gun..eh there's nothing i can do about it just wanted the communitys response

You probably wont find many pub servers running it, but its is brilliant for war servers so 10/10 to vavle for this one also like how it replaces the skins back to default not stops you joinning.
    well im me what else?
  • 10y
    ch0wd3n avatar
    ch0wd3n Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,813 points Ranked 2589th
    It pointless and most servers will not be using it. I really don't know why they released it.

People will just find a way around it.
    bad sweet avatar
    Mantra
    bad sweet
  • 10y
    So i wont be able to use skins i dl from FPS banana? wtf?
    Mantra
  • 10y
    No it means if you connect to the server it changes all youre skins to the default ones also youre map files. But basically 0 pubs will run this its mainly for war servers to stop mat hackers so its good ^^.
    well im me what else?
  • 10y
    Uber-Zeo avatar
    Uber-Zeo Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    It doesn't change all materials. I just tested it out and my custom l33t skin was still custom.
  • 10y
    Yay!!!

why cant they fix real issues?

like in the map cs_assault.

ppl can see other guys' feet in the vents when they look from under and then they shoot you dead. its a real pain in the arse.
    Mantra
  • 10y
    Uber-Zeo avatar
    Uber-Zeo Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    That's not really fixable without re-doing animations or updating the map, which would take a few minutes to download. And I wouldn't consider that as big as a problem as mathackers.
  • 10y
    richardnixon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    You guys are right, sort of like sv_consistency. Since I pub I shouldn't have made a big deal about it. SV_Pure is awesome for scrims/matches and whatnot..which custom skins would be the least of my worries in those situations (I've only been in scrims around 10 times, not good enough for that kinda competition).

I shouldn't have gave my opinion without playing some servers first, but oh well. At least Valve is doing something about the vmt/vtf hack trick...even though they did it the easy ass way. Ah Well I'm not Valve am I? Who am I to criticize.
    I am not a crook.
  • 10y
    richardnixon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    I just found this, kinda late but just recently had the chance to look at it :
    "
    By default, the server will kick clients that are using content that is different from the content the server wants to enforce. If a server only wants to give clients a warning or see which clients are using "impure" content, it can set sv_pure_kick_clients to 0.
    "
    so if the server doesnt change the default value you will get kicked using blacklisted (items that arent on the whitelist) models/textures/sounds/what have you.

heres my source: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pure_Servers
    I am not a crook.
  • 10y
    LuntiX avatar
    LuntiX avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    2,459 points Ranked 1902nd
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Installation Guide Submitter Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    Sv_pure should replace sv_consistancy.
    The Last Man Standing
  • 10y
    StringsOfSeven avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    4,561 points Ranked 1002nd
    9 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    It is default set to 1, so I couldn't use custom skins in any servers without HL2 crashing for me. Way to kill a game Valve.
    Mantra
  • 10y
    richardnixon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    Yeah it's a big bummer, so far all the servers on my favorites let me use custom skins, maybe they havent updated though? I dunno...

and I agree about sv_pure replacing sv_consistency but that would be a bummer for modellers who want to see if their shit has consistency errors (bad clipping, sizes, etc)
    I am not a crook.
  • 10y
    ramen_noodle avatar
    ramen_noodle avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,496 points Ranked 3145th
    Maybe Valve should just get a clue and stop crying about hackers...
    Mantra
  • 10y
    sssnake avatar
    sssnake Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    35,048 points Ranked 118th
    Can you not edit the defaults then?
    I TURN MAH PC TO DA SIDE avatar
    Mantra
    I TURN MAH PC TO DA SIDE
  • 10y
    richardnixon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    What they should do is take away the vmt transparency trick on critical files such as wall textures and stuff that arent supposed to be see through

they put it in there for a reason i know that, but not every texture needs it..theres a better more user friendly way to get around those hacks....rather than just punishing everybody for a bunch of hacking assholes. I know it would be some work, but hell....
    I am not a crook.
  • 10y
    Ludacr1s avatar
    Ludacr1s Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    From what I see, skinwise, recolors of the default that aren't "custom models" still work with sv_pure on, but the really custom stuff doesn't work.
    Ones make everything cooler.
  • 10y
    foxbmxer0 avatar
    foxbmxer0 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I've seen it like 4 months ago. It wouldn't let me use my "Realistic" scope. Sucks, but gets rid of the noobs using material hacks.
    Banned
  • 10y
    l0cke avatar
    l0cke Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    218 points Ranked 16706th
    This isn't too bad but I'm now missing sounds for a couple of weapons, how do I get the defaults back? And my AK has no hands on pure servers :P
    The E is silent avatar
    Mantra
    The E is silent
  • 10y
    YellowJello avatar
    YellowJello avatar Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    101,136 points Ranked 31st
    29 medals 2 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Gamefiles Medal icon
    I don't know anything about it. If it actually deletes your custom content and resets everything to default, it's bullshit, if it just overrides your custom content, then I don't really care too much.
    Jiggle Jiggle avatar
    Mantra
    Jiggle Jiggle
  • 10y
    richardnixon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    I haven't had a problem with my custom skins/models/sounds lately. I haven't played much but I played a little tonight and haven't had a problem..

so I dunno, seems like a wise move so far.
    I am not a crook.
  • 10y
    Sheeprider avatar
    Sheeprider Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    7,024 points Ranked 633rd
    Had no problems with it so far, and I absolutely love the concept of it.
    Durby Durb durb... avatar
    Mantra
    Durby Durb durb...
  • 10y
    Supa Scoopa avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    4,263 points Ranked 1072nd
    I actually love this new feature as it is perfect for competitive play. Clan servers can restrict the use of modifications easily that way, without the owner having to delete his skins. If it actually becomes default for match servers, even League active players can finally use custom material without worrying to violate league rules...

It's the first time I recall that Valve has updated something to the benefit of "Professional gaming".
  • 10y
    richardnixon avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    I don't think their focus was "Professional Gaming", I think it's just a solution to get rid of the VMT texture wall hackers.

And I'm pretty sure league/scrimming servers will probably turn it on
    I am not a crook.
  • 10y
    koely avatar
    koely Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    This is good, I hate people having red and blue player models and spot me when I'm hiding. Takes a part of zblock away. They had filecheck, but that made you delete the files.
    Stuck On Yesterday Once Again. avatar
    Mantra
    Stuck On Yesterday Once Again.
  • 10y
    NightStalker avatar
    NightStalker avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    94,712 points Ranked 35th
    15 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    I played in a "n00b heaven" server today that had sv_pure on, there really wasn't a difference in my gameplay except that my sexy gloves were gone. I still went my usual bad score (15-23). Skins don't effect my gameplay, anyways.
    Pretty Much Amazing

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

richardnixon avatar
Member Joined 10y

richardnixon