The Game Modding Community - Since 2001

Damn phong...

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

I hate phong so much

Is there ANY possible way to remove phong from skins.... it ruins the whole game for me... mostly because i play zombie servers ALOT and i HATE seeing.. say.. my gun shining ugly gray when im in the dark.. all i can see is a 2D looking gun (because i see no detail and its just gray shinyness) in the pitch black room.. so if theres a way to remove it from all the skins i have, that would be great.. Thanks

• 10y
    Go to C:\path\to\your\cstrike\folder\materials\models\weapons\v_models\ (replace C:\path\to\your\cstrike\folder with path to your cstrike folder, eg. C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\cstrike), and then go to each folder, which name begins with knife_, pist_, smg_, rif_, mach_, snip_, or eq_ and open .VMT file, which has the same name as the folder, in notepad. Then find line containing "$phong" "1" and change it to "$phong" "0". Maybe it's too complicated, maybe there's some varible in the game, but this is the only way I know.
    dragon slayer
  • 10y
    X-tr3m3r avatar
    X-tr3m3r Joined 11y ago
    49,542 points Ranked 78th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • High Altitude Mapping Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    They are not glowing because of phong. It's because of the reflection map (cubemaps). Generally, zm maps do not have env_cubemaps built in so reflections are crappy, especially in the dark spots. There is no practical solution to this since in order to disable cubemaps you need to tweak every single .vmt.
  • 10y
    wins avatar
    wins Joined 12y ago
    3,919 points Ranked 1225th
    Play on direct level 7.. then there wont be any cubemaps, bumpmaps and phong
  • 10y
    KiLL[a]S_ avatar
    KiLL[a]S_ Joined 10y ago
    1,044 points Ranked 4763rd
    Under Console type mat_specular 0 That will disable every specular map(shiny stuff)! **edit* ..posted 1 year ago? :| srsly?

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

jibston avatar
jibston Joined 12y ago
119 points Ranked 26457th

• Share on Reddit
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Google+

• 4 Posts
  • 11y Submitted

Yo, buddy. Mascot

GameBanana is one of the oldest mod sites on the net. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation - send modders points.
  • Vote: Help your favorite modders win monthly awards.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of problems with mods.
  • Watch: Get notified when mods are updated.

Stop Lurking! Sign up now!

Already a Bananite? Login tracking pixel