AWP & Counter-Strike!

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Yo, buddy. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending J2K points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

On June 19th, 1999, a mod for Half-life was released, known as Counter-Strike. In this original release, came a highly controversial weapon, the Arctic Warfare Magnum (also known as the Arctic Warfare Police). I will refer to this weapon as the AWP for the rest of this article. The main reason for the controversy behind this weapon, is it's ability to kill people in one hit to the chest or head. Even hitting the limbs would deal a hefty 84 damage. It has it's drawbacks though.
  • Slow rate of fire
  • Inaccurate until scoped
  • Slows down your run speed considerably
  • Inaccurate while moving
  • Expensive
Some people ignore all that though and the second they hear an AWP, they start crying and abusing people that use it. Fast forward to 2007, almost 8 years since Counter-Strike and it's AWP arrived on the scene, and people are still crying more than ever. Common phrases such as "AWP requires no skill" "Only pussies AWP" and "OMG WTF BBQ HAX" fill your chat and headphones when you take your first shot at an enemy with the AWP. Okay, so here is the thing. If it indeed did not require skill, how come when you get angry and buy one, you still don't stand a chance against people that use it? Skill. If only pussies use it, how do you explain yourself sitting in the towers of cbble with an AK47 while AWPers rush inside and own you? Skill. But now i am digressing, the main point of this thread is simple. The AWP has been in the game for 8 years. It never left the game and never will. If you don't like it, go play one of the sissy "-AWP" servers online and drink a big cup of STFU!

• 11y
    Darkedge avatar
    Darkedge Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    AWP FTW!!!!!!
    Banned
  • 11y
    HandKeRiC32 avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    1,810 points Ranked 2594th
    Lol. I like to scout, it's more fun to scout people.
    Rest in peace Trev avatar
    Mantra
    Rest in peace Trev
  • 11y
    Uber-Zeo avatar
    Uber-Zeo Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    It's not the problem with the gun. The gun is good. It's the people. They generally camp in one spot behind everyone else dragging the game on for long amounts of time.
  • 11y
    jaketwo_91 avatar
    jaketwo_91 Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    36,173 points Ranked 112th
    Posted by Uber-Zeo

It's not the problem with the gun. The gun is good. It's the people. They generally camp in one spot behind everyone else dragging the game on for long amounts of time.

Thats what i was gonna say, i have nothing against the gun itself, i can beat awpers with m4 most of the time, its just the ones on... Blood_assault for example, that never leave the barriers in the corners and just sit there awping everyone.
    Vectors? oh noes! avatar
    Mantra
    Vectors? oh noes!
  • 11y
    J2K avatar
    J2K Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    14,626 points Ranked 292nd
    9 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    Posted by Uber-Zeo

Yeah some do that, but even still, the game shouldn't drag on if the AWPer's enemy is any good at CS. This usually only happens on cs_assault when a T and a CT both decide to camp it out with AWPs and not rush.
    Scripting & Tutorial Master avatar
    Mantra
    Scripting & Tutorial Master
  • 11y
    J2K avatar
    J2K Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    Posted by jaketwo_91

Thats what i was gonna say, i have nothing against the gun itself, i can beat awpers with m4 most of the time, its just the ones on... Blood_assault for example, that never leave the barriers in the corners and just sit there awping everyone.

LOL great minds jaketwo :P

Any assault server attracts mass numbers of n00bs and therefore should be avoided.

PS: I corrected the spelling of your name in my Lottery thread.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    jaketwo_91 avatar
    jaketwo_91 Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    36,173 points Ranked 112th
    Posted by J2K

Posted by jaketwo_91

LOL great minds jaketwo :P

Any assault server attracts mass numbers of n00bs and therefore should be avoided.

PS: I corrected the spelling of your name in my Lottery thread.

I love blood assault too much to avoid it, i just love the way every time i get a good score or multiple headshots i get accused of hacking, its so much fun!

Thanks for fixing my name :).
    Vectors? oh noes! avatar
    Mantra
    Vectors? oh noes!
  • 11y
    JoeDirt123 avatar
    JoeDirt123 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by J2K

Posted by Uber-Zeo

Yeah some do that, but even still, the game shouldn't drag on if the AWPer's enemy is any good at CS. This usually only happens on cs_assault when a T and a CT both decide to camp it out with AWPs and not rush.

This happens a lot when the CT is guarding a bomb and the AWPer just camps in their spawn....
  • 11y
    J2K avatar
    J2K Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    Posted by Darkedge

AWP FTW!!!!!!

Amen to that.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    GuitarHero avatar
    GuitarHero avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    30,176 points Ranked 140th
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    God forbid someone uses an AWP in a DM server. i was playing one of those and i was awping. i got kicked from the server b/c of that bullshit.
    >---(X_X)--->  avatar
    Mantra
    >---(X_X)--->
  • 11y
    MR. PINK16 avatar
    MR. PINK16 Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    4,893 points Ranked 945th
    While everything I have heard I agree with, I must say that awp is alot less skillful then alot of the weapons. While sniping, scout is my choice. Alot harder, takes two or 3 hits if you miss head, and it forces you to aim for the head.

Don't get me wrong, I love the awp... But it is alot less skillful and I don't think anyone can argue that...

And I know what everyone is thinking... yeah I would own you with awp... and you probably would, but that is not the point. You can be very skilled with the awp, but the awp doesn't really NEED that skill to be good... Well I am done for now XD

P.S. just a reminder, I love the AWP! :P
    learn where I get the name, th avatar
    Mantra
    learn where I get the name, th
  • 11y
    Gbuzzy avatar
    Gbuzzy Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    302 points Ranked 13076th
    I usually just say to people who cry " Hey, guess what? They put it in the game for a reason? So people could play with it! If they didn't want it in the game, they wouldn't have put it in, so deal with it."

I've never really tryed using the awp really, just scouting.
    Old Clvl system was better. avatar
    Mantra
    Old Clvl system was better.
  • 11y
    oil is srs business avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    2,312 points Ranked 2015th
    I can usually M4A1 out most of the AWP users because they aren't fully used to the map (even de_dust2, good spots there) or by playing close-quarters areas.

Also, watch some Counter-Strike: Source videos, and you can see some very accurate noscoping and/or quickscoping.
    HAI 2 U FPSB avatar
    Mantra
    HAI 2 U FPSB
  • 11y
    MR. PINK16 avatar
    MR. PINK16 Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    4,893 points Ranked 945th
    No scoping in source is crazy accurate if you are perfectly still. My buddy can no scope headshot from long A in dust2 almost every shot. He hardly ever zooms in because it takes his periferal vision away and people sneak around his back...
    learn where I get the name, th avatar
    Mantra
    learn where I get the name, th
  • 11y
    GuitarHero avatar
    GuitarHero avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    30,176 points Ranked 140th
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    Posted by Gbuzzy

I usually just say to people who cry " Hey, guess what? They put it in the game for a reason? So people could play with it! If they didn't want it in the game, they wouldn't have put it in, so deal with it."

About Damn time someone said that.
    >---(X_X)--->  avatar
    Mantra
    >---(X_X)--->
  • 11y
    Soviet1942 avatar
    Soviet1942 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    23,666 points Ranked 185th
    Haha, love the thread.
    Supa Sexay avatar
    Mantra
    Supa Sexay
  • 11y
    pope192 avatar
    pope192 Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    AWPs make the game fun. :-)
    The one and only avatar
    Mantra
    The one and only
  • 11y
    koely avatar
    koely Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by MR. PINK16

No scoping in source is crazy accurate if you are perfectly still. My buddy can no scope headshot from long A in dust2 almost every shot. He hardly ever zooms in because it takes his periferal vision away and people sneak around his back...

nope, go in a server, get awp, spray your spray, and aim at a certain point, then non scope and shoot, you'll see that 1/6 will go realy close.. others are so damn far away..

and, if you jump with a awp and shoot, almost never hit..

Anyway, most of the people here at FPSB just pub. I think i almost do a pcw every day.. ( when i can play )

The awp takes skill IF the players against him have skill. If the awp'er doesn't have skill, he's screwed.. It's most likely he'll get sprayed or knifed.
    Stuck On Yesterday Once Again. avatar
    Mantra
    Stuck On Yesterday Once Again.
  • 11y
    Ottomus avatar
    Ottomus Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    6,154 points Ranked 725th
    Awp in my opinion, is just too lame. I rather use scout because that gun actually takes skills to shoot with it.

I played on a deathmatch server which had awp allowed in there but I never used it, I used scout. One day I got pissed because of the damn awps and pulled one out too. Next thing I noticed, I had 30-2 stats.

Awp doesn't take skills, you just need to put that dot to a guys chest. Scout you need 2 shots. That takes skills.
    The Flaming Smith Guy avatar
    Mantra
    The Flaming Smith Guy
  • 11y
    J2K avatar
    J2K Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    The scout will NOT hit the same spot every time if you stand perfectly still and scope then shoot. It has retarded offshoot. The awp hits where you aim if you stand still. That is skill. People that can aim suck with scout, people that can scout suck at aiming and just get lucky shots half the time. If the scout had the same accuracy as the AWP, i would use it happily.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Gbuzzy avatar
    Gbuzzy Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by J2K

The scout will NOT hit the same spot every time if you stand perfectly still and scope then shoot. It has retarded offshoot. The awp hits where you aim if you stand still. That is skill. People that can aim suck with scout, people that can scout suck at aiming and just get lucky shots half the time. If the scout had the same accuracy as the AWP, i would use it happily.

Where ever i aim my scout it hits dead on where my cross hairs are? I don't know what the hell your talking about the off shot?

I'm not arguing the superiority of the scout to the awp. Awp > scout
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Weeeeeeee avatar
    Weeeeeeee Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    133 points Ranked 23406th
    I prefer scout, its more challengeing, the awp is a campers gun because the only thing u can do with it is camping
  • 11y
    J2K avatar
    J2K Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    I tested it by scoping once, let go of mouse, fired using the keyboard, 2 seconds between each shot. It has offshoot. The awp does not offshoot when you do the same.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Gbuzzy avatar
    Gbuzzy Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I don't shoot with my keyboard? I shoot with my mouse? Spray a target and retest your "off shot" Theory, I'm still not getting an off shot at all.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Raipe avatar
    Raipe Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by J2K

Posted by Darkedge

AWP FTW!!!!!!

Amen to that.

I second that.

BTW, nice writing.
    Banned
  • 11y
    Gone avatar
    Gone Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I guess it's meant to bring more tactic into the game, meaninig you have to find another way into the enemy spawn. But if people keep using the awp over and over again like in pubs where 3/4s of people there are awping, it gets quite annoying.
  • 11y
    Outcast avatar
    Outcast Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    50,959 points Ranked 73rd
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    I can AWP great, probably better than people here but i just think its really boring.
    I accept its in the game and use it occasionally but faggots who stay at spawn all day with an AWP waiting for ct/t to come to them even when they have the bomb on T , they are the people who annoy me.
    Why so serious? avatar
    Mantra
    Why so serious?
  • 11y
    J2K avatar
    J2K Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    Personally, even on a shit pub server of assault i can rush the back doors or roller and TTD either way with an AWP. Half the time with an AK47 even. But i have played 6 hours a day for 6 years often more than 6 hours... so yeah o_O just as well i can do that lol.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Sebhitch avatar
    Sebhitch Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I feel the same when i use the TMP. I always kill people with it and they call me a nub, i just think they get annoyed because they got killed by the lamest weapon in the game tbh.
    Porridge Monster
  • 11y
    Outcast avatar
    Outcast Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    I play about 1 hour (if that) a day.
    Why so serious? avatar
    Mantra
    Why so serious?
  • 11y
    h4mx0r avatar
    h4mx0r avatar Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    31,754 points Ranked 133rd
    • Time Traveler Mapping Contest Submitter Medal icon
    Lol, I don't bitch.

Also, I believe awping requires skill.

One fucking problem. The "pro" awpers we see are 'usually' guys who use the awp very often. By doing so, they whore the awps and the power it contains. They've practiced with it more than any, which lets them have very good skill with the awp. That's all nice, except for the amount of damage you do with it. Which technically nullifies any other gun except the fact that it's not automatic.
    it's pronounced "ham-saur avatar
    Mantra
    it's pronounced "ham-saur
  • 11y
    Xlixity avatar
    Xlixity Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    2,043 points Ranked 2306th
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    Posted by Twilight Samus

Also, watch some Counter-Strike: Source videos, and you can see some very accurate noscoping and/or quickscoping.

You need 10x more skill with an awp in 1.6 than in Source.

The Awp ain't bad itself, but it seems to be the gun that most n00bs use, which frustrates people. because they know that if that n00b had a rifle, he would've gotten canned long ago in the round.

If people camped with a scout the way they camped with an AWP, I bet people wouldn't be so edgy.

Scout > AWP
    The scout takes skill.....
    The AWP just takes a rabbit's foot.

But I prefer to have close quarter combat than sniping.
    All The Children Are Dead avatar
    Mantra
    All The Children Are Dead
  • 11y
    Messy avatar
    Messy Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    AWP definatly takes skill to use, as when you get up close to another player it forces you to use your pistol or knife. AWP should only be banned on servers than run small maps e.g 1corridor, aim_texture2.
    Elmo Knows Where You Live
  • 11y
    Shaydee avatar
    Shaydee avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    2,689 points Ranked 1706th
    Posted by Cookie Monster

You're completely and utterly wrong. Sitting at the end of a scope in real life requires certain skills, it's true, but sneaking up behind someone with a knife and killing them requires even more skill. Same goes for Counter-Strike.

How many real snipers do you know that run around and whip out a sniper rifle every ten feet? The answer: none.

The reason the AWP annoys good players and noobs alike is that it turns CS into a sniping game. I don't play CS to sit at the end of hallways taking potshots at people, I play for fast paced preferably close quarters combat.

I prefer the CQB, but I love to scout now and again, I don't mind/care about people using awps, only when they whore them for the whole map (or most of it), other than that I don't really have a problem with them.
    Just another day. avatar
    Mantra
    Just another day.
  • 11y
    Hexadecimal avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Imho the awp does take skill to use and avoid, what i don't like is contantly getting pwned on dm servers when ppl camp with the awp, but the gun itself is cool. :)
    HeXaDeCiMaL 4 Life avatar
    Mantra
    HeXaDeCiMaL 4 Life
  • 11y
    Eugene avatar
    Eugene avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    3,738 points Ranked 1229th
    19 medals 2 legendary 2 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • GAMEBANANA Spray Contest Entrant Medal icon
    Awps are gay, end of thread.
    this site is dead avatar
    Mantra
    this site is dead
  • 11y
    JoeDirt123 avatar
    JoeDirt123 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by J2K

I think you just proved your idiocy right there..... Everybody knows that the AWP requires some skill if you are a pro gamer. Otherwise it is usually luck or lag shots. What I don't understand is why you felt the need to make a thread about it....that and why you have a link for your girlfriend's deviantart in your signature >,>
  • 11y
    Outcast avatar
    Outcast Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    The only English weapon on CSS is a much discussed and criticized one, It really is a shame.
    An Sa80 needs to be introduced SOON!
    Why so serious? avatar
    Mantra
    Why so serious?
  • 11y
    JoeDirt123 avatar
    JoeDirt123 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Outcast

The only English weapon on CSS is a much discussed and criticized one, It really is a shame.
    An Sa80 needs to be introduced SOON!

Yeah, I'd love to have an SA80 in CS 8D But I'd rather not have Valve try to add anything more to the game at the moment, probably end up with some huge Steam error and I never really like updates now since Dynamic Pricing >,>
  • 11y
    Outcast avatar
    Outcast Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    DWP is bizzare, $4000 deagle? Thats the same price as an AWP nearly.

Strangely and luckily i have never come across a server with DWP enabled.
    Why so serious? avatar
    Mantra
    Why so serious?
  • 11y
    JoeDirt123 avatar
    JoeDirt123 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I've seen the deagle get up to $7000 before. Then the glock was also at $98 at one point.
  • 11y
    Envision avatar
    Envision Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,739 points Ranked 2691st
    Finally, good thread :P

I love the awp, i use it alot, but i also use all the other guns... mp5,m4a1,ak47,deagle,glock,usp and SCOUT - i can use all of these, that is what seperates good awpers, and the n00b awpers on pub.
    2008 - Year of the Open Source avatar
    Mantra
    2008 - Year of the Open Source
  • 11y
    XSS3 avatar
    XSS3 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    83,756 points Ranked 44th
    Personally I think AWPs are for people who can't hit more than once, or does not have sufficient aim to use a less powerful weapon.
    I know security inside and out avatar
    Mantra
    I know security inside and out
  • 11y
    xCanadiansoldier avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    194 points Ranked 18146th
    Trust me, if you don't like awps, don't buy counter-strike source xD
    It is alot easier to shoot, i tried.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Envision avatar
    Envision Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,739 points Ranked 2691st
    Psyed By _Alvaro_1991_

I prefer scout, its more challengeing, the awp is a campers gun because the only thing u can do with it is camping

You are so wrong its not funny, The 'n00b' awpers can only camp, but the people who can actually use it, and i mean REALLY use it rush in, get the same amount-or more-kills than the campers. But sadly, all the pub randies will either call you hacks, or just a noob, because god forbid your using one of the best weapons in the game.

Seriously though, if you dont like the awp, there are -AWP or -Sniper servers for a reason.
    2008 - Year of the Open Source avatar
    Mantra
    2008 - Year of the Open Source
  • 11y
    xDamien avatar
    xDamien Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    5,428 points Ranked 834th
    I absolutely love the maker of this thread! I used to AWP but stopped. I hated the constant crying and whining by stupid, ignorant, intolerant players. The AWP is the same as any old gun, it is very lethal by someone who can use it properly. I agree with everything you have to say.
    Sidney Crosby is the boss avatar
    Mantra
    Sidney Crosby is the boss
  • 11y
    Giff avatar
    Giff Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Amen even tho i'm the worst awper ever :P it still an important part of the game. The only time i get pissed at it is when im in a pub and the whole other team has 1 but other then that i praise it because some starts and based off the awp.
    who shot ya? avatar
    Mantra
    who shot ya?
  • 11y
    Jorden avatar
    Jorden Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    580 points Ranked 7613rd
    They should make it so you cannot buy an awp in cs assault......use a scout.

scout requires more skill
    i love the awp but i prefer to scout

btw: i hate quickscoping awpers in dm(they make it so gay)
    Veteran Noob Smasher avatar
    Mantra
    Veteran Noob Smasher
  • 11y
    A7H19 avatar
    A7H19 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    2,095 points Ranked 2232nd
    If ppl didnt complain about using awps and "cheap noob guns".. we'd see a bunch of ppl running around with autosnipers....

SCOUT FTW

Awps are ok except when they're used excessivly by one team which makes the server simply gay
    It's an unstoppable fate, chai avatar
    Mantra
    It's an unstoppable fate, chai
  • 11y
    Zabuza avatar
    Zabuza Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    17,947 points Ranked 241st
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    I totally agree with this thread. But that doesn't mean that you just can camp on the same spot for like 5 minutes. Jorden, you don't have quick scope with an AWP. It's called unscoped.
    Mantra
    "The instrument of Doom"

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

J2K avatar
J2K Offline