Nvidia vs ati

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending ChaseFu points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card. I read an article that put the two brands head to head playing counter strike source and the ATI out-performed the nvidia, however that was in like 2004. Does anyone know if one brand is better than the other when it comes to playing counter strike source?

• 11y
    ascentyx avatar
    ascentyx Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    19,844 points Ranked 219th
    It really depends, rather than ask a question like that, just tell everyone how much money you have in what currency and they will give you advice on the best graphics card to buy. Also do you have an AGP or a PCI express slot?
    Suspended By The Throat.
  • 11y
    Toxic3 avatar
    Toxic3 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    5,928 points Ranked 760th
    Well, the source engine is optimized for ati cards (damn you!) so ati will almost always perform better on source based games

but there a lot of games out there wich give nvidia that small edge ahead
    When you thought you met the d avatar
    Mantra
    When you thought you met the d
  • 11y
    Suckage avatar
    Suckage Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    149 points Ranked 21790th
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    My choice would be nVidia. You can run the Valve games with it smoothly. Or that's what I've been told :)
    Mantra
  • 11y
    KingP avatar
    KingP Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    261 points Ranked 14612th
    Yes,ATi is more optimized for source games but it has a tendency of screwing up real-time shadows in some cases,I say go for nVidia.Rather have 5 FPS less than crappy shadows.
  • 11y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    3,743 points Ranked 1229th
    NVidia is actually build for games, while Ati has just good cards.......cause now we have nVidia geForce 8800 GTX wich is the best gfx card out yet, but in february Ati will releas theyr answer to 8800 wich i think will have the same amount mb but will be gddr4(as so ive read on other sites).
    And it will be clocked up so it will be better then 8800, but still 8800 is build for games only so if u want a gamer card go for nVidia
    or the card with bests specs go for Ati!!
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 11y
    ChaseFu avatar
    ChaseFu Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I'm looking at top of the line cards (lots to spend on a graphics card) and I've got a PCI express slot. Basically I'd like to have the game run as smoothly as possible. I'm on a P4 3.6ghz with 1g ram and an nVidia 6800GT. The current setup just isn't cutting the mustard. A new graphics card seems to be the logical upgrade, right? Hence my wondering.. nVidia or ATI..
    Bananite
  • 11y
    Rootbeerz avatar
    Rootbeerz avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I have dual ATI X1900XTXs, and they run fine. Before I bought my new computer, I had a NVIDIA 6800GT setup on my old computer. I can tell you from past experience that ATI cards experience better performance, but NVIDIA cards lack performance to bring out the extra detailing in the 3D environments. I would go with a NVIDIA if you are a hard core graphics gamer that loves to see his enemy very clearly across the battlefield, or I would go with ATI to gain some FPS and be ahead of the gang.
    Constructive Map Assesor avatar
    Mantra
    Constructive Map Assesor
  • 11y
    Toxic3 avatar
    Toxic3 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by rootbeerz

I have dual ATI X1900XTXs, and they run fine. Before I bought my new computer, I had a NVIDIA 6800GT setup on my old computer. I can tell you from past experience that ATI cards experience better performance, but NVIDIA cards lack performance to bring out the extra detailing in the 3D environments. I would go with a NVIDIA if you are a hard core graphics gamer that loves to see his enemy very clearly across the battlefield, or I would go with ATI to gain some FPS and be ahead of the gang.

You can always tweak the performance over image quality! I've got a 6800GS (agp, not unlocked because it started giving me weird red dots everywhere :P, i have OCed it tho) and i'm getting a steady 40-50 fps in source at all settings max (AF*16 no AA, HDR enabled at 10*7) except in crowded fights it might go down to 25-30
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Rootbeerz avatar
    Rootbeerz avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    If you don't over-clock the GPUs, then it turns out how I said. Some people don't know how to clock so they leave it the regular BIOS settings.
    Constructive Map Assesor avatar
    Mantra
    Constructive Map Assesor
  • 11y
    Hitman407 avatar
    Hitman407 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    28,594 points Ranked 149th
    Nvidea is very good imo ^^
    Lick my Leaf avatar
    Mantra
    Lick my Leaf
  • 11y
    Toxic3 avatar
    Toxic3 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Imho it's a waste if you buy a 200+€ (or $) GFX card but don't know anything about it
    The least you should know is how to overclock them!
    Mantra
  • 11y
    .thursdae avatar
    .thursdae Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    187 points Ranked 18615th
    6 medals 1 rare
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    • 4 years a member Medal icon
    Basically if you have an AMD i would suggest an ATI. If you dont, get Nvidia
    3D Modeler
  • 11y
    VictorRinaldi avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    1,109 points Ranked 4234th
    ATI ftw
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Falcon avatar
    Falcon avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    74,841 points Ranked 52nd
    Both are equally as good to be honest. Every time one company releases a new card that is better than the other company's, the other company just releases a new and better one right back.

In terms of software and support, many people would say that Nvidia has the best drivers, but to be honest it doesn't matter too much.

Both cards are made for gaming and as long as you aren't trying to be on the bleeding edge, it's really just preference that will determine which card you should buy.

With the AMD-ATi merger that happened recently, I'm sure that the backing of AMD can only further enhance the quality and support towards ATi.

I've always used ATi, and I feel that they are the best, but like I said, it's not a huge difference, so it's up to you.

HURR avatar
    Mantra
    HURR
  • 11y
    TNT7890 avatar
    TNT7890 Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    7,872 points Ranked 556th
    I find you don't need AA on with an ati card. And You can get huge FPS In CSS with an X800pro. From my experiences ATI is a little better for FPS while having max or almost max gfx.

Just my experience from the 5500. So much for that card being an upgrade from an X800...

Stupid box said it was(I had it before my X800 but then the X800 raised my fps by 50-110 fps... so X800 is MUCH better.
    Back from Jamaca and it FREAKI avatar
    Mantra
    Back from Jamaca and it FREAKI
  • 11y
    h4mx0r avatar
    h4mx0r avatar Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    31,754 points Ranked 133rd
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Time Traveler Mapping Contest Submitter Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    Every game seems to be different. You know, Doom 3 was recommended with Nvidia and HL2 was recommended with ATI.

Im going to take a guess, but I think aside from partnerships, it might also mean that the games are slightly more optimized for one brand over the other, so it varies by game.
    it's pronounced "ham-saur avatar
    Mantra
    it's pronounced "ham-saur
  • 11y
    AngryMooCow avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    306 points Ranked 12953rd
    Im waiting for ATI Boi to come in here... nVidea ftw imo
    AngryMooCow '08! avatar
    Mantra
    AngryMooCow '08!
  • 11y
    ATI boi avatar
    ATI boi Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    189 points Ranked 18481st
    ATI FTW!
    [Kinda obvious from my name]
    the boi is gone from FPSB
  • 11y
    ZeroOrDie avatar
    ZeroOrDie Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    125 points Ranked 24383rd
    I don't like how you guys compare cards. You say you had a crap card like a Nvidia 6800 then you say you upgrade to one of ATIs best cards and say it is better than Nividia. Nvidia has the best card our right now. ATI will come with a card to answer that and nvidia will answer to that, and it will go on and on.
    Ashley Titsdale is my hero avatar
    Mantra
    Ashley Titsdale is my hero
  • 11y
    Mr Blue avatar
    Mr Blue Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Same as the CPU wars, first off intel weren't fast enough now they have rediculously pricey "Quad Core" processors.... Wankers.
  • 11y
    DeadPixel avatar
    DeadPixel Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    16,935 points Ranked 254th
    9 medals 1 rare
    Intel made their quad core processors pricey because they can. There is no other desktop quad core processor available, so no competition = high price.
  • 11y
    Gone avatar
    Gone Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Toxic3

Posted by rootbeerz

You can always tweak the performance over image quality! I've got a 6800GS (agp, not unlocked because it started giving me weird red dots everywhere :P, i have OCed it tho) and i'm getting a steady 40-50 fps in source at all settings max (AF*16 no AA, HDR enabled at 10*7) except in crowded fights it might go down to 25-30

O_o I have a 6600 GO and I get about 75 fps with AF16 HDR and x8 AA... My card, since its GO, is incredibly shittier then your's...
  • 11y
    Mr Blue avatar
    Mr Blue Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Yeah, shame they're useless. No programs need them.

Name one. I dare you.

Oh well, in the end it's all about preference, AMD or Intel, ATI or Nvidia...

Get this - DOESN'T MATTER.

If you wanted to know who has the faster card at the moment - Nvidia, or Intel for Processors (honestly, who the fuck neeeds Quad Core?)

Why not get a 7950gt or something?

Or a Radeon X1300?

It won't make a difference if the specs are the same, as has been said in many-a-thread many-a-time, they're both quality manufacturers and there really really really really really is no noticable difference if the specs of the card are the same.
  • 11y
    DeadPixel avatar
    DeadPixel Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    A 7950gt is 10x better than an x1300.
  • 11y
    Falcon avatar
    Falcon avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    74,841 points Ranked 52nd
    Actually, which processor you use does matter a bit, as Intel and AMD processors are a bit different in the way they handle and pipe the data through the chip.
    HURR avatar
    Mantra
    HURR
  • 11y
    fps_al avatar
    fps_al Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    375 points Ranked 11032nd
    Posted by ChaseFu

I'm looking at top of the line cards (lots to spend on a graphics card) and I've got a PCI express slot. Basically I'd like to have the game run as smoothly as possible. I'm on a P4 3.6ghz with 1g ram and an nVidia 6800GT. The current setup just isn't cutting the mustard. A new graphics card seems to be the logical upgrade, right? Hence my wondering.. nVidia or ATI..

well with a p4 and only a gig of ram even with the best gfx card our not going to have amazing performance i recomend another gig of ram and the 7900gt or 7950gtx

• 11y
    DeadPixel avatar
    DeadPixel Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    Having one really good component is a bad idea, it will just be bottlenecked by the slower parts. Each component works together to present the image you see on-screen, so when one part is underperforming, the top end part has to wait for the slower parts to finish their operation. This just wastes the full potential of a good video card.
  • 11y
    ZeroOrDie avatar
    ZeroOrDie Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    125 points Ranked 24383rd
    Posted by iGrenade

Posted by fps_al

Posted by ChaseFu

well with a p4 and only a gig of ram even with the best gfx card our not going to have amazing performance i recomend another gig of ram and the 7900gt or 7950gtx

You don't really need 2gb of ram unless you wanna play some next-gen games like r6v.
    By the way it's recommend, get firefox 2.0, it has a built-in spell checker.

Funny. I always thought the proper word was recommended. (well at least the way you are using the word)
    Ashley Titsdale is my hero avatar
    Mantra
    Ashley Titsdale is my hero
  • 11y
    fps_al avatar
    fps_al Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by iGrenade

Posted by fps_al

Posted by ChaseFu

You don't really need 2gb of ram unless you wanna play some next-gen games like r6v.
    By the way it's recommend, get firefox 2.0, it has a built-in spell checker.

Edit: I think a flame war's gonna start, since people are saying stuffs like NVIDIA FTW!/ATI FTW!.

wow can you say asshole?
    this thread is about vid cards not spelling
    i barelly spelt it wrong get off my ass

• 11y
    XeroXeD avatar
    XeroXeD Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    149 points Ranked 21790th
    I had an old ati card but just recently got a GeForce 7950GT. I like nivida more that ati since theres less hassle with the drivers and since i havent had any problems with this yet. And the price is also good.
    MetalHead avatar
    Mantra
    MetalHead
  • 11y
    ATI boi avatar
    ATI boi Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    189 points Ranked 18481st
    Posted by iGrenade
    "people are saying stuffs like NVIDIA FTW!/ATI FTW!."

ATI FTW!
    the boi is gone from FPSB
  • 11y
    Ascendancy avatar
    Ascendancy Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    5,261 points Ranked 869th
    For £130 you can get the ATI X1950 pro, it beats a 7950gt hands down alone, but coupled in crossfire it blows it away. I dont believe this is a DX10 card but for £130 who can complain bout it too much.
    Do i need a cvl up nomination? avatar
    Mantra
    Do i need a cvl up nomination?
  • 11y
    fps_al avatar
    fps_al Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by iGrenade

Posted by fps_al
    wow can you say asshole?
    this thread is about vid cards not spelling
    i barelly spelt it wrong get off my ass

Then do something about it. What can you do? Nothing, except for complaining. And spelling is somehow important, sometimes when you totally spelled something wrong, no one can understand what you are talking about.
    You told me to say asshole right? Ok, asshole, I just did.

your a jack ass i barely spelt one word wrong and you fucking rape me?
    fuck you
    i understand grammar is important but i spelt a word with one m instead of two it was obviously still the same word so please stfu

• 11y
    DeadPixel avatar
    DeadPixel Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    9 medals 1 rare
    Well, your grammar is very poor al.
  • 11y
    Ascendancy avatar
    Ascendancy Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Will you two little kids argue somewhere else!!
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Spectro avatar
    Spectro Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    In terms of support, I'd pick ATi.

Oh, and did AMD merge with ATi?
    Mantra
  • 11y
    VictorRinaldi avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    1,109 points Ranked 4234th
    Yes!
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Ascendancy avatar
    Ascendancy Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Well your acting like kids, i dont find any mistakes in his writing except for grammer but thats bout it. Now can we please get back on topic.

It depends on haw much you have to spend for your graphics card. If you want to buy a budget priced card then like i said go for the X1950 Pro, as the GPU in it is near enough the same one as in the X1950XT
    Mantra
  • 11y
    fps_al avatar
    fps_al Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by iGrenade

Posted by VictorRinaldi

Yes!

I'd be funny if Intel merge with Nvidia, lol.
    Posted by Ascendancy

Will you two little kids argue somewhere else!!

Who are you calling a kid? We have the rights to talk to each other, you can't stop us.

@fps_al- Do you even know what rape means? I guess not, you're not using the word "rape" in the correct way at least.

im going to end this now
    ok i fucked up spelling a word
    thats the end stop being immature about this
    thanks

• 11y
    Ascendancy avatar
    Ascendancy Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    So, its not like we cant read what he is trying to get across. Well im not the one with 4 post about his spell and grammer being awful.

How can a 7900GTX be the same in performance as the X1950 Pro, as the X1950 can beat a 7950GT easily, unless the 7900GTX is the bargain of the century.

Yes the ATI card is a slightly down in terms of spec to the card it got its GPU from, but thats what you expect for £130 card thats based on a higher end one
    Mantra
  • 11y
    -Mack- avatar
    -Mack- Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    AMD>Intel
    Nvidia>ATI

Period.

Sorry for bump, but I just had to say it!
    Maybe i'm back for a little wh avatar
    Mantra
    Maybe i'm back for a little wh
  • 11y
    $carface avatar
    $carface avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    6,741 points Ranked 653rd
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Posted by -Mack-

AMD>Intel!

not right now. but when k8l comes out...
    Supah Mawdaratah! avatar
    Mantra
    Supah Mawdaratah!
  • 11y
    Mike avatar
    Mike Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    477 points Ranked 9103rd
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    Ati is not good if you want dual gfx cards running were as nvidias sli is way better then ati's crossfire
    so for nextgen buy nvidia until ati offers something new

May i recommend dual nvidia 8800 GTx If you want true power
    Only One avatar
    Mantra
    Only One
  • 11y
    XSS3 avatar
    XSS3 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    83,756 points Ranked 44th
    It completely depends on the card in question, some of the Ati cards beat their nVidia counterparts and vice-versa. You should compare based on the amount of money you have and what cards each company has in that category and also those cards specifications.
    I know security inside and out avatar
    Mantra
    I know security inside and out
  • 11y
    Grimm_Methods avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    2,703 points Ranked 1700th
    Posted by MosesTheRipper

Posted by Toxic3

Posted by rootbeerz

O_o I have a 6600 GO and I get about 75 fps with AF16 HDR and x8 AA... My card, since its GO, is incredibly shittier then your's...

i got a 7600 and 2 CPU that run somwhere in the 3.0's are you over clocking bcus i get like 45-50 fps norm maps 0-0
    I do vids 4 free avatar
    Mantra
    I do vids 4 free

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

ChaseFu avatar