AWP Discussion (Large Thread)

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Hello world. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending CrazyforRE points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Sound fun?

Already a Bananite? Login

Alright, i know theres a huge majority of people out there that think the AWP is the greatest gun ever, and they love using it all the time and getting tons of kills with it, and I also know theres a lot of people out there that think the AWP is a cheap gun, and not fun to play with. I happen to be one of those people. Im starting to get really tired of the AWP. I dont mind people using the scout but the AWP just appeals to me as a very annoying gun. I would just like to see how other people feel about the AWP issue cause, to me, it feels as if it's slowly starting to take over and becoming the most dominate gun. Now i dont show any threat to people who use AWPS, i just dont prefer playing with people who use them. I use to feel that everyone should be able to use whatever gun they'd like, wether it was AWP or Auto-shotgun, or whatever, but now its gotten to the point where playing counter-strike just isnt the same anymore. I've been playing counter-strike for sometime around four years; and i can remember the good old days (1.5 days) when the awp was hardly ever used. Actually, no sniper was really used back then that i can recall. I mean, maybe sometimes people would scout here and there, but back then, it seemed as if AK and COLT ruled the gun-list. I think i started noticing a major sniping enhancment around the 1.6 update. It wasn't bad, but i did notice a lot of people starting using the snipers more and more often. When Source was first released, it felt as if the sniping had ceased once again, but only for a short-period of time. I think after people realized how realistic Source was with it's kill-boxes and increase in damage; people figured using the AWP (which is a 50 cal) would be a great way to get easy kills. For a while it really didn't bother me because a lot of sniping maps, specially designed for sniping, started being produced. Knowing there were maps out there where sniper-lovers could compete against one another in a fair challenge made me feel a-lot better about counter-strike's future. The production of sniping maps actually boosted my confidence and forced me to give a little more respect to the sniping community. That all changed one gloomy afternoon. I was engaging in a competetive 3v3 at Office with a outstandingly cool group of guys. We were all trying our hardest, using our radios, working as a team, and having a great time. I couldn't recall having a better session on CS. We'd purchase eachother M4's if we couldnt afford them, and used ourselves as meat-shields if a fellow teammate was pinned down. It was just too cool. Then someone else joined the T team, and the first thing he purchased was an AWP. We couldn't even move. He was the only one on the terrorist team getting kills. I was a little upset, so i tried getting him to use a scout. He declined and kept getting kill frenzies. It seemed as no matter where we went, we'd all three die in less than 15 seconds, and i dont mean to brag, but im not that bad at CS. Neither were my teammates. I dont recall a single of us having more than 2 deaths and less than 20-25 kills. As soon as i heard the sound of an AWP go off, i knew one of my teammates had died. I figured it was just one AWPER, not a big deal despite the fact we were losing by 100 points. (Slight exaggeration) But then more and more people started joining and soon enough, everyone was using AWPs. I along with my two other teammates ended up leaving but it just didn't feel right that we were the ones who had to leave. Thats when i said enough is enough, something has to be down about this AWPing issue. I dont understand why people have to come into maps such as Office or Assault and start sniping. I thought thats why they made sniping maps; so people who wanted to play with real guns could play at their maps and people with snipers could play at their maps and everyone could be happy. Plus, i feel that the only reason people snipe, is cause they lack skill with any other weapon. Just cause your not getting a lot of kills using an assault rifle, doesnt mean you should switch to the AWP so you can start improving your score. Thats how you get better at a weapon, by using it a lot and learning from it. It's called practice. Also, the AWP obscures real talent. If everyones using and AWP, I can't tell who's got real CS talent. Someone who's unbelievably good using the M3 PUMP, (who doesnt cheat) could enter a server with a bunch of AWPERS and not get a single kill, and that leaves the impression, oh, look this noob trying to use a pump-shotgun. Look at his noobish score of 0 kills and 12 deaths, when really, if people werent AWPing every five seconds, he might actually be pretty good. And if your trying to show you have sniping talent, and that you can use a sniper-rifle in even the closest of environments, then why not use a scout? Or an AUG/SIG552. An AWP doesn't show me anything. Believe it or not, i can actually pick up an AWP (even though i hardly ever use one) and get five or six kills in a row fairly easily. It's not that hard of a weapon to master, furthermore, handle in general. I know this is a long thread, but i have strong feelings towards this issue and feel that others should get a good dose of what im feeling. I'd like to hear your views about this issue as well. Wether your for AWPING or against it. Please help me get a better perspective on this whole situation.

• 11y
    CrazyforRE avatar
    CrazyforRE Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    115 points Ranked 25637th
    Thats just the thing though. OLD THREADS. No one browses through to find old threads on an issue they're concerned about. At least i don't. It's like, your going to post on a thread thats months old trying to let out your opinion on an issue that no one cares about anymore. If you want something done, you gotta keep bringing it back up and keeping it up to date. I could go post this in the old thread, but no one would see it, nor probably care about it or reply back to it. Cause i sure don't go back to month-old threads i once started and keep conversing with the latest poster.
    Never Hesitate avatar
    Mantra
    Never Hesitate
  • 11y
    Porcelain avatar
    Porcelain Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    10,115 points Ranked 429th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Yea and then u get flamed for bumping and no one replies nicely

before we do anything about more of the same threads maybe find a way to improve the feedback we get from other bumped threads.
    I'm screaming, this life is a  avatar
    Mantra
    I'm screaming, this life is a
  • 11y
    CrazyforRE avatar
    CrazyforRE Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Sorry couldnt understand a word you said.
    Never Hesitate avatar
    Mantra
    Never Hesitate
  • 11y
    ReptileZoo avatar
    ReptileZoo Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    He simply said people just get flamed for bumping threads and still get flamed if that make a new thread, I agree with you they say awp takes skill, with skill an awper is unkillable without skill an awper is good.
    Banned
  • 11y
    CrazyforRE avatar
    CrazyforRE Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Why can't people just read the thread. If your interested reply in a nice manner, and if not then just frikin leave. You dont need to take the time to be a loser and bash someone elses thread with your insulting words. All you have to do is simply read the first paragraph, then you sort of know what its about. If you dont like it, then leave. Why is that so hard to do. You dont need to flame anyone, just leave and move on with your forum-posting lives. And why do you HAVE to be flamed for bumping a thread? Woopdey doo, i reposted an old thread, holy crap! the worlds coming to an end! Quick lets bash his thread!!
    Never Hesitate avatar
    Mantra
    Never Hesitate
  • 11y
    MooseWithAGun avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    974 points Ranked 4805th
    YOU FOOLS NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE PERIODS. you and your godlike run-on sentance.

anyways. i agree. i too had great games like you did. amazing cs sessions wit cool guys, where it was the game actualy WAS teamwork. like. someguy would be like. COVER ME. so we all provide cover fire. it was sick.

awps are good guns. if you're good with them, you basically rule CS

i dont like it.
    I play hide-and-seek with Sam  avatar
    Mantra
    I play hide-and-seek with Sam
  • 11y
    koely avatar
    koely Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Well, if every shot was a kill, he do got skills :D
    or you were noobs..

anyway, don't whine, A lot of servers have restriction to nothing, or 1 or 2.

Anyway, I think, if you co-operate, u can easely take a single awp'er down..
    Stuck On Yesterday Once Again. avatar
    Mantra
    Stuck On Yesterday Once Again.
  • 11y
    redkulaT avatar
    redkulaT Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    83,813 points Ranked 43rd
    13 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    This has been discussed dozens of times, but a game is a game.
    It's like Red Koolaid, but not avatar
    Mantra
    It's like Red Koolaid, but not
  • 11y
    KoreanPrincess avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    192 points Ranked 18261st
    I agree with every word you have said. The AWP has geniunly made me WEEP with anger. The way I see it is as followed..

Counter Strike is an online shooting game where people are supposed to have fun killing eachother. In a game like this you quite simply can not have a BFG* Dice realised this with Battlefield, and not one handheld weapon other than the rocket launcher can kill in one shot. In games like DOOM and console games, it's ok. BFGs are cool to use against stupid bots in single player. But it is just not sensible to have a weapon of such ownage in Counter Strike, especially when there is nothing to counter balance it such as double armor or powerups such as invincibility. So here is what I propose;

Valve completly remove the AWP from the game and make up for the lost gun by giving the terrorists there own Machine gun, instead of carrying an American one.

OR

Make the AWP a powefull weapon still, but decrease the damage so the bullet reciver still has some chance of survival.

HOWEVER

I doubt this will happen. The game has been out for 6 years or something, and in these 6 years Valve have not heed the players call.

ALL HOPE IS LOST.

*Big Fucking Gun
    I just sniped you. avatar
    Mantra
    I just sniped you.
  • 11y
    }{YPHY.PiN0Y avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Crazyfire, Dude if u have a Auto Rifle Or SMG Just go run up to the snipers and shoot them, Snipers need ALOT of time to aim for the enemy. So u just go up to them (Dont use knife) From like 10 feet from them kill them. Simple as that.
    WHAT iT D000!!!
  • 11y
    vun avatar
    vun Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    2,361 points Ranked 1983rd
    Posted by KoreanPrincess

Dice realised this with Battlefield, and not one handheld weapon other than the rocket launcher can kill in one shot.

Actually, the M95 can kill with one shot and the L96A1 and M24 can kill with one shot to the head.

Ontopic: The AWP's sucks, but they're part of the game, but I still hate AWP'ers, they dont do anything but lame with their coward-guns. I often play DD2, and there's always a retard with an AWP shooting people through middle. I use the AWP and scout rarely, and I never buy AWP, I just pick it up. But its a part of the game and valve gives a f*** in how the AWP victims feel.

Artfag
  • 11y
    CrazyforRE avatar
    CrazyforRE Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I agree with you KoreanPrincess, i think they should take out the AWP and replace it with an machine gun for the terrorist. That'd be a good idea. But i doubt that'd would ever happen. It's good to know theres someone on the same page as i am, though. Thanks for posting.
    Never Hesitate avatar
    Mantra
    Never Hesitate
  • 11y
    jacksprat1990 avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    140 points Ranked 22646th
    The AWP is a shit weapon and shit heads use them because they are obviously not good enough at using anything else. PRACTICE WITH SOMETHING ELSE! Its like Ghost Recon: AW. I heard the multiplayer is fab, had a go on the 360 online and there was this proper bastard using a ROCKET LAUNCHER........I thought this game was supposed to be tactical. My point being is that you could probably play any game online and you think, OH THAT WEOPON IS SHIT AND YOUR SHIT!. I certainly feel that way.
    AKA: lame gag or lame gag1990
  • 11y
    Dewbler avatar
    Dewbler Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I personally am horrible with the AWP but yet I can still take on out with a M4 or a Ak. I guess it would be better if there weren't so many people crazed about the gun and have the whole team using the AWP. But then again its just a game no need to get so angry about it.
  • 11y
    Dewbler avatar
    Dewbler Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Blunted Greco

Posted by pinoyboy707

Crazyfire, Dude if u have a Auto Rifle Or SMG Just go run up to the snipers and shoot them, Snipers need ALOT of time to aim for the enemy. So u just go up to them (Dont use knife) From like 10 feet from them kill them. Simple as that.

if there good with snipeing they can can quick scope its been done many times :O

Or no scope if there really good
  • 11y
    Mon0xide avatar
    Mon0xide Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Well, I have to disagree completely in half the things that you've stated... The AWP does take a lot of skill to use. And yes, I do use the AWP to a great amount. It is fun to use, in my opinion, and it isn't just to raise your score. The AWPers biggest threat would probably be an SMG rusher with an MP5 or P90 (or even the TMP or MAC.) Well that was just my opinion.
    Cry much??
  • 11y
    Spectro avatar
    Spectro Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    AWP takes a lot of skill to use. I don't know where people get off saying it doesn't. I am really tired of people bitching about the AWP. If you don't like it then fuck off and go play another game. It is in the game, just like the auto-shotty. Both have advantages and disadvantages, as all guns do.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Mr. Jello avatar
    Mr. Jello Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    It's true that the awp takes skill... when you're not camping that is... It's easy to just sit there the whole time, but it's not easy to control your fire when going back and forth, left and right, blah blah... I've gotten REAL good with the scout, and find it's one of the easiest guns on CS:S.
    I can use it better than I can an m4. :O
  • 11y
    Slorg avatar
    Slorg Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    279 points Ranked 13874th
    That guy seems to be a great AWPer!
    Mantra
  • 11y
    KoreanPrincess avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    Not to mention everyone uses the strafing script.
    Mantra
    I just sniped you.
  • 11y
    YellowJello avatar
    YellowJello avatar Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    101,058 points Ranked 31st
    29 medals 2 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Gamefiles Medal icon
    AWPs take no skill, I'm not explaining myself again.
    Jiggle Jiggle avatar
    Mantra
    Jiggle Jiggle
  • 11y
    StringsOfSeven avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    4,561 points Ranked 1003rd
    9 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    Awper's are easy to kill, just act like Solid Snake, just toss a lot of flashes and snakes and go in for the kill, I killed an awper with my knife yesterday, that, was a great moment of my life.
    Mantra
  • 11y
    Dr.Love avatar
    Dr.Love Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    611 points Ranked 7262nd
    Awps are part of the game.. period

Ps.. If u were good at awping you wouldnt Have made this thread
    :50CaL: avatar
    Mantra
    :50CaL:
  • 11y
    Golgo_13 avatar
    Golgo_13 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I feel your pain. my clan server doesnt allow awp!! :D come to 24\7 dust 2 Return Of The Mack Sometime lol. i love no awp servers!!
    I heard you like Mudkips! avatar
    Mantra
    I heard you like Mudkips!
  • 11y
    KoreanPrincess avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    The perfect server..

NO AWP
    NO FLASHBANGS
    LATENCY: 4
    Consistancy 0

*godlike voice plays*
    Mantra
    I just sniped you.
  • 11y
    Mr. Jello avatar
    Mr. Jello Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    No flashbangs?
    Wtf?
  • 11y
    A.Tree avatar
    A.Tree Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    358 points Ranked 11428th
    Its a part of the game. all u need to do is learn how to use it or just kill the guy using it. blind him hows he gonna shoot u if there is smoke or hes flashed. get up in his face hes only got one shot then he has to reload and if he kills u with a sidearm are u gonna complain that the deagle is noob and that all that use it are power whores ? learn to use it or learn to kill it is all im saying or u can find a server that restricts it.
    lol @ other guy >.>
  • 11y
    ZeroOrDie avatar
    ZeroOrDie Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    125 points Ranked 24349th
    Posted by KoreanPrincess

I agree with every word you have said. The AWP has geniunly made me WEEP with anger. The way I see it is as followed..

Counter Strike is an online shooting game where people are supposed to have fun killing eachother. In a game like this you quite simply can not have a BFG* Dice realised this with Battlefield, and not one handheld weapon other than the rocket launcher can kill in one shot. In games like DOOM and console games, it's ok. BFGs are cool to use against stupid bots in single player. But it is just not sensible to have a weapon of such ownage in Counter Strike, especially when there is nothing to counter balance it such as double armor or powerups such as invincibility. So here is what I propose;

Valve completly remove the AWP from the game and make up for the lost gun by giving the terrorists there own Machine gun, instead of carrying an American one.

OR

Make the AWP a powefull weapon still, but decrease the damage so the bullet reciver still has some chance of survival.

HOWEVER

I doubt this will happen. The game has been out for 6 years or something, and in these 6 years Valve have not heed the players call.

ALL HOPE IS LOST.

*Big Fucking Gun

If Valve removed the AWP. There would be no hope for CAL
    Ashley Titsdale is my hero avatar
    Mantra
    Ashley Titsdale is my hero
  • 11y
    ElemeNt` avatar
    ElemeNt` Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    1,466 points Ranked 3207th
    The Main Problem of the Source Awp is the non-existing delay while switchting to the zoom.
    It's like the 1.5 Quickzoom. Maybe they should induct the old Price of 6000$.
    My graphic and texture skills  avatar
    Mantra
    My graphic and texture skills
  • 11y
    strangemodul3 avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    1,556 points Ranked 3017th
    On the server I fequent, they limit the AWP to one per team when it is abused.

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

CrazyforRE avatar
CrazyforRE Offline
Member Joined 11y