Live 8 2005

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Me and Sam were discussing this a while back and I'm extremely suprised and fuckin outraged that noone's posted this yet. Alright, this is gonna be the most detailed motherfuckin post ever. LIVE 8 WILL BE HELD ON JULY 2ND 2005 Bob Geldof - the rocker turned activist is organizing a Live 8 concert. No it is not Live Aid 2 as it is not for AIDS treatment in Africa. It is to reduce debt in Africa. Here's a news article from a while back. LONDON (Reuters) - Madonna, U2 and Coldplay will be among the star acts at the Live 8 concert in London to raise awareness about global poverty, organiser Bob Geldof said on Tuesday. Elton John, Robbie Williams, Scissor Sisters and Joss Stone were also named in the line up for the July 2nd concert. Geldof announced plans for Live 8, a global concert, to repeat the success of the 1985 Live Aid event which raised millions of pounds for African famine relief. Live 8 will be held in Hyde Park to coincide with a summit in Scotland of the Group of Eight leading industrial nations as a way of pressuring world leaders to act on global poverty. Four other concerts will be held in Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin and Rome on the same day. The first Live Aid concert was held at Wembley Stadium with a line-up including U2, Queen, Paul McCartney and David Bowie. The event was organised by former Boomtown Rats singer Geldof, who has become a leading advocate for global poverty relief and is behind the plans for a second concert. A spokesman for the charity organisers have said they are speaking to Oasis and Irish rockers U2 about appearing at the concert. Organisers are also in talks with the Spice Girls, who could perform together for the first time since Geri Halliwell walked out of the group in 1998. ---------------------------------------------- This article is way outdated but Live 8 news isn't very updated in general. -------------------------------- "This is not Live Aid 2. These concerts are the start point for The Long Walk To Justice, the one way we can all make our voices heard in unison. This is without doubt a moment in history where ordinary people can grasp the chance to achieve something truly monumental and demand from the 8 world leaders at G8 an end to poverty. The G8 leaders have it within their power to alter history. They will only have the will to do so if tens of thousands of people show them that enough is enough. By doubling aid, fully cancelling debt, and delivering trade justice for Africa, the G8 could change the future for millions of men, women and children." -------------------------------- THERE IS GOING TO BE A PINK FLOYD REUNION WITH THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF PINK FLOYD - YES INCLUDING ROGER WATERS HIMSELF. Although it is lowly mentioned and not on the website, The Who (with Richard Starkey as drummer, and I forget the bassist) and the Sex Pistols (with Glen Matlock on bass) are also billed for the Hyde Park show! Here are the lineups for each location: Hyde Park, London - 1400-1930 BST (1300-2030 GMT) * Annie Lennox * Bob Geldof * Coldplay * Dido * Elton John * Joss Stone * Keane * Killers, The * Madonna * Mariah Carey * Ms. Dynamite * Paul McCartney * Pink Floyd * Razorlight * REM * Robbie Williams * Scissor Sisters * Snoop Dogg * Snow Patrol * Stereophonics * Sting * Travis * U2 * UB40 * Velvet Revolver --------------------------- Palais de Versailles, Paris * Andrea Bocelli with the Philarmonie der Nationen * Amel Bent * Axelle Red * Calogero * Cerrone / Nile Rogers * Craig David * Cure, The * David Hallyday * Diam's * Dido * Disiz La Peste * Faudel * Florent Pagny * Kool Shen * Kyo * Louis Bertignac * Matt copora * Muse * Placebo * Raphael * Shakira * Sheryl Crow * Tina Arena * Yannick Noah * Youssou N'Dour --------------------------- Siegessäule, Berlin - 1400-2000 local time (1200-1800 GMT) This is a free concert * A-ha * Audioslave * Bap * Brian Wilson * Chris de Burgh * Crosby Stills & Nash * Die Toten Hosen * Faithless * Green Day * Herbert Groenemeyer * Joana Zimmer * Juan Diego Florez * Juli * Katherine Jenkins * Reamonn * Renee Olstead * Roxy Music * Sasha * Silbermond * Soehne Mannheims * Wir Sind Helden --------------------------- Circus Maximus, Rome No tickets, free admission. * Antonello Venditti * Articolo 31 * Biagio Antonacci * Claudio Baglioni * Duran Duran * Elisa * Faith Hill * Francesco De Gregori * Gemelli Diversi * Irene Grandi * Jovanotti * Laura Pausini * Le Vibrazioni * Ligabue * Max Pezzali * Negramaro * Negrita * Nek * Noa * Piero Pelu * Pino Daniele * Povia * Renato Zero * Tim McGraw * Tiromancino * Velvet --------------------------- Museum of Art, Philadelphia - 1200-1800 local time (1600-2200 GMT) presenters: * Will Smith * Salma Hayek * Natalie Portman * Chris Tucker * Jennifer Connolly * Jimmy Smits * Kami artists: * Alicia Keys * Black Eyed Peas * Bon Jovi * Dave Matthews Band * Def Leppard * Destiny's Child * Jay-Z * Josh Groban * Kaiser Chiefs * Keith Urban * Linkin Park * Maroon 5 * P Diddy * Rob Thomas * Sarah McLachlan * Stevie Wonder * Toby Keith --------------------------- Park Place, Barrie - 1100-2000 BST (1200-0000 GMT) Presenters: Dan Aykroyd and Tom Green Artists performing include: * African Guitar Summit * Barenaked Ladies * Blue Rodeo * Bruce Cockburn * Bryan Adams * The Bachman Cummings Band * Deep Purple * DMC * DobaCaracol featuring Kna'an * Gordon Lightfoot * Great Big Sea * Jann Arden * Jet * Les Trois Accords * Motley Crue * Our Lady Peace * Sam Roberts * Simple Plan * Tegan & Sara * The Tragically Hip * Tom Cochrane --------------------------- Makuhari Messe, Tokyo - 1400-2200 local time (0500-1300 GMT) Artists performing include: * Bjork * Def Tech * Dreams Come True * Good Charlotte * McFly * Rize --------------------------- Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, Johannesburg - 1200-1730 local time (1045-1730 GMT) Artists performing include: * 4Peace Ensemble * Jabu Khanyile and Bayete * Lindiwe * Lucky Dube * Mahotella Queens * Malaika * Orchestre Baobab * Oumou Sengare * Vusi Mahlasela * Zola --------------------------- Red Square, Moscow - 1900-2230 Local Time (1600-1930 GMT) Artists performing include: * Agatha Christie * Aliona Sviridova * B-2 * Delphin - TBC * Garik Sukachev - TBC * Jungo * Linda * Moral Code X * Pet Shop Boys * Red Elvises --------------------------- Edinburgh 50,000 The Final Push This is the final moment; this is the eve of the biggest meeting ever in the fight against poverty. As the leaders fly into Gleneagles on the evening of Wednesday 6th July, a very special event at Edinburgh’s Murrayfield Stadium will signal the end of the Long Walk To Justice and the beginning of the G8 Summit. Hosted by Lenny Henry and Peter Kay, the event will include some of music’s biggest names such as Annie Lennox, Snow Patrol, Travis, The Sugababes, Ronan Keating, Beverly Knight, The Corrs, Natasha Bedingfield, Proclaimers, Texas, Youssou N’Dour, McFly, Bob Geldof, Midge Ure and African artists from Peter Gabriel’s WOMAD plus a line up of very special speakers. Tickets for this special event have already been allocated via a free text lottery. If you were lucky enough to get one, you can take advantage of some great transport offers. --------------------------- Eden Project The concert will be held on the stage in the Eden arena with the world’s biggest greenhouses. The event will be programmed and presented in association with WOMAD and its co-founder Peter Gabriel, together with Senegalese superstar Youssou N’Dour. Tickets competition Other artists performing include: * Angelique Kidjo * Maryam Mursal * Salif Keita * Thomas Mapfumo * Tinariwen * Daara J * Shikisha * Ayub Ogada * Modou Diouf & O Fogum ---------------------------------------- Tickets for London and Philadelphia shows have not yet gone on sale. Tickets for Barrie, Eden Project, and London WERE available through ticket drawing. Tickets for Tokyo and London are still available for more ticket drawing. -------------------------------------- Broadcasting: Fellow Canadians will be able to catch the Barrie and possibly London show on CTV (channel 8 cable). Other channels I'm not sure about. Many radio stations will broadcast all the concerts. BBC Radio stations and partner radio stations will broadcast the Hyde Park show. BBC ONE TWO AND TRHEE will have full coverage on the Hyde Park event. All concerts will be covered FOR FREE by AOL: www.aolmusic.com www.aol.co.uk www.aol.co.uk www.aol.fr www.aol.fr www.aol.de www.aol.de -------------------------------- DVD rights went to EMI ---------------------- How you can help: - Watch/listen to live 8 - Buy/wear wristbands - Walk/bike to Edinburgh - Go to the concerts - Sail to Edinburgh ----------------------- REMEMBER THE WHO AND THE SEX PISTOLS ARE NOT LISTED BUT ARE PERFORMING. ---------------------------- For more information: http://www.live8live.com http://www.makepovertyhistory.com http://www.google.com --------------------------- Let this be the official Live 8 thread.
  • redkulaT avatar
    redkulaT Joined 15y ago
    83,840 points Ranked 47th
    13 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    access_time 14y
    I've been seeing a lot of advertisements for this, and I will probably watch it.
    It's like Red Koolaid, but not avatar
    Mantra
    It's like Red Koolaid, but not
    URL to post:
  • Devil Tiger avatar
    Devil Tiger Joined 16y ago
    7,873 points Ranked 761st
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 14y
    I posted something about Pink Floyd playing there.
    There is no Devil Tiger, only  avatar
    Mantra
    There is no Devil Tiger, only
    URL to post:
  • Kornven avatar
    Kornven Joined 15y ago
    316 points Ranked 49783rd
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Installation Guide Submitter Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 14y
    Education is the only way to improve living conditions; it's an economic certainty. The deal is, who do you use to teach those in need if their culture will oppose you as an oppresor, a conquistador? People would instead fight for jobs under the excuse that "education does not put food on the table" and revolt, making a chaotic conslusion to an otherwise well intentioned idea. The G8, while full of corrupt government officials, can only do so much if they were to be good politicians. People need to know how and when to help themselves.
    SexyResults avatar
    Mantra
    SexyResults
    URL to post:
  • Dopefish avatar
    Dopefish Joined 17y ago
    7 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    access_time 14y
    I'm going to the one in Philly...anyone else goin' ? I would pay up to 250 dollars to see floyd, no joke, but i couldnt fly there :(
    URL to post:
  • nemes1s avatar
    nemes1s Joined 17y ago
    364 points Ranked 48248th
    access_time 14y
    Probably won't watch it.
    Just keepin' it fresh.
    URL to post:
  • hens not funny avatar
    hens not funny Joined 17y ago
    856 points Ranked 41542nd
    access_time 14y
    Hmm...I actually don't think the philly one is that great. The Barrie show does have a suprisingly good line up though. Deep Purple, Motley Crue, Tragically Hip, Bachman Cummings Band, Bryan Adams...plus other big names like Jet and Run DMC. They should've gotten Rush and Neil Young, but Neil Young is dying...but Rush is perfectly fine. They should really move CSN to Hyde Park though. Also some may or may not be wondering why the stones and bowie aren't playing. Well the stones are on rehearsing for a tour, although that's a horrible excuse. What I think really happened was that they wanted to play in Toronto, but as we all know the stones belong in London, so it was out of the question, so they decided not to play at all. As for Bowie, he does not have a band right now and is going to be in New York on that day (tomorrow actually) but sends his regards.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • hens not funny avatar
    access_time 14y
    Sorry to double post but: UNOFFICIAL LIVE 8 RUNNING ORDER This is roughly what the Hyde Park show is going to be: # Sir Paul McCartney and U2: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band # U2: One # Coldplay: In My Place, Fix You # Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft: Bitter Sweet Symphony # Sir Elton John (introduced by Little Britain's Matt Lucas and David Walliams): Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, The Bitch is Back # Sir Elton John and Pete Doherty: Children of the Revolution # Dido: Life for Rent, White Flag, Thank You # Stereophonics: Songs to be confirmed # REM: The One I Love, Losing My Religion, Imitation of Life, Everybody Hurts # Ms Dynamite: Dy-na-mi-tee, Judgement Day, Redemption Song # Keane: Everybody's Changing, Somewhere Only We Know # Travis: Sing, Turn, Why Does It Always Rain On Me? # Annie Lennox: Walking on Broken Glass, Sisters are Doin' It for Themselves, Sweet Dreams # UB40: Food for Thought, Red Red Wine # Snoop Dogg: Songs to be confirmed # Razorlight: Somewhere Else, Golden Touch, Vice # Madonna: Like a Prayer, Music, Ray of Light # Snow Patrol: Chocolate, Run # Joss Stone: I Had a Dream, Super Duper Love # Scissor Sisters: Laura, Take Your Mama # Velvet Revolver: Songs to be confirmed # The Killers: Songs to be confirmed # Sting: Every Breath You Take, Message in a Bottle, Desert Rose # Mariah Carey: Make It Happen, Vision of Love # Robbie Williams: Let Me Entertain You, Rock DJ, Feel, We Will Rock You # The Who: Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Riley # Pink Floyd: Money, Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here # Sir Paul McCartney: The Long and Winding Road # Finale: Sir Paul McCartney joined on stage by George Michael and Sir Mick Jagger I'm quite fond of the collaborations. Also it seems that there is going to be some form of the stones there. Paul and U2 doin Sgt. Peppers should be really cool. Also it seems that the Sex Pistols aren't on here...but I was pretty sure they were actually somewhere. EDIT!!! Neil Young is going to be in BARRIE with QUOTE "A FEW MEMBERS OF AEROSMITH" CLOSING THE CANADIAN SHOW! WOW, I would NEVER expect Barrie to get that good of a show!
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • nemes1s avatar
    nemes1s Joined 17y ago
    364 points Ranked 48248th
    access_time 14y
    Posted by blaXX i will watch it, got to admit, there are some great performers why wont you watch it nem?
    I'll probably be out that day lol, I may catch a glimpse. The one in Canada is a biggie too, I think they already had it. Run DMC, Coldplay, Pink F. and Dido sounds pretty good.
    Just keepin' it fresh.
    URL to post:
  • Eraser avatar
    Eraser Joined 15y ago
    4,410 points Ranked 1497th
    access_time 14y
    IT STARTS IN ONE HOUR
    MY AVATAR IS IRRELEVANT AGAIN!
    URL to post:
  • redkulaT avatar
    redkulaT Joined 15y ago
    access_time 14y
    I don't even know the times it's on.
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Botch avatar
    Botch Joined 16y ago
    397 points Ranked 47354th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    access_time 14y
    woohoo, this is purty cool
    I used to ban folks
    URL to post:
  • hens not funny avatar
    access_time 14y
    BTO JUST TOOK CARE OF BUSINESS! But no Cummings though... the crowd sucked dick. It was like Bachman: EVERYONE SING ALONG!!! Crowd: Wooo...takin care of business.... Bachman: EVERYDAY YOU ARE Crowd: Takin care of business... Bachman: YOU'RE SO FINE Crowd: Takin care of business...
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • High Roller avatar
    High Roller Joined 17y ago
    1,871 points Ranked 20893rd
    access_time 14y
    While I think Live 8 has good intentions. It is not going to stop poverty in africa. Africa will always be in shambles as long as the nations there are lead by the epitome of corrupttedness. There will always be poverty in the world, poverty is a natural part of any economy, even on a world scale.
    Go Heels! avatar
    Mantra
    Go Heels!
    URL to post:
  • redkulaT avatar
    redkulaT Joined 15y ago
    access_time 14y
    The countries in Africa and other nations were all powerful at one point in time. It all stopped until they were conquored by other countries. Resources stolen, economy corrupt and now people are trying to help any way any how. I feel that these countries will climb up again and prove the nations they are capable of doing what other first world nations are cable of doing.
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • hens not funny avatar
    access_time 14y
    Oh my god this is amazing. Paul Mccartney is doing Get Back right now. PINK FLOYD just played Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here, AND Comfortably Numb. Roger and David even hugged! The Who wen on just before Floyd and did Who Are You and Won't Get Fooled Again. PETE TOWNSHEND WAS AMAZING. Don't even get me started about Roger Daltrey's scream, EVERYONE IN LONDON COULDVE HEARD THAT SCREAM! Sting did a whole bunch of numbers, including the Police's Every Breath You Take. Back in Barrie, DEEP PURPLE put on an absolutely AMAZING SET. There was MUCH MUCH MORE. To top it all off, Paul is going to be doing more with Mick Jagger. And in Barrie, Run DMC with members of AEROSMITH, and NEIL YOUNG CLOSING THE SHOW! AMAZING!
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Eraser avatar
    Eraser Joined 15y ago
    4,410 points Ranked 1497th
    access_time 14y
    Yeah that was fucking amazing.
    MY AVATAR IS IRRELEVANT AGAIN!
    URL to post:
  • redkulaT avatar
    redkulaT Joined 15y ago
    access_time 14y
    Just finished watching the one in Barrie. They put together the greatest hits from today and that's allow pretty good. That's what Live8 was about. To try to get the G8 leaders to help in any way to fight against the deaths of thousands of childern. I agree with a statement I heard on TV which was, "The G8 leaders should of at least had the tickets for $2 or $5." I would of paid to help out, and I think it would make a small difference, but every year by doing it, it would come to a break even level. The lady who came on stage got help 2 decades before because of Live 8. She went from having no food or money, to graduating university.
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Dopefish avatar
    Dopefish Joined 17y ago
    7 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    access_time 14y
    As my last post on CSB :p I went to philly, and i must say it was phenomenal. The rappers surprised me and everyone was actually GREAT. Stevie Wonder FTW. It was great being there, it felt like you were part of something BIG, (and you were). Pinkk Floyd owns your fucking bones...best band ever. (read up on Syd's reaction to it all) BTW, Neil Young is not dying at all...I saw him last year and he played NONSTOP for 4 hours...and he was fucking awesome...NEIL YOUNG FTW. It was gooooooood shit.
    URL to post:
  • Kornven avatar
    Kornven Joined 15y ago
    316 points Ranked 49783rd
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Installation Guide Submitter Medal icon
    access_time 14y
    I juts got Pink Floyd's performance off the net. I had never seen such a great musical moment in my life. I would've given my left nut just to be there in person. It was so great to see them together once again. The music was so exhilarating, such a great demonstration of their talent... It gave me goosebumps just to see it. It just inspired me to go back and study music once again. I'm off to get some sleep and later buy an acoustic guitar.
    SexyResults avatar
    Mantra
    SexyResults
    URL to post:
  • hens not funny avatar
    access_time 14y
    Posted by Dopefish BTW, Neil Young is not dying at all...I saw him last year and he played NONSTOP for 4 hours...and he was fucking awesome...NEIL YOUNG FTW.
    He was three months ago when he was diagnosed with brain aneurysm. He's much better now. The best part of the Pink Floyd performance was Roger's speech dealy during Wish You Were Here. It was something like "It's very emotional to be here on stage with these three guys for the first time in 24 years. But there's someone missing tonight, this song's for Syd." Man I nearly cried when I heard that. The grand finale was also stunning. Paul Mccartney doing The Long and Winding Road, and you think it's done, BUT THEN HE DOES HEY JUDE! And EVERYONE gets up on stage and sings for ages. It was so spectacular. Barrie ended last with Neil Young doing Keep On Rockin' In the Free World with everyone. I must say that was something. And then at the end Oh Canada, that was kinda funny though...with Jet and all... My favourite part next to the Pink Floyd performance was definately the Who. Won't Get Fooled Again was amazing. Pete Townshend was RIPPIN it! I mean look at him, he's pretty old lookin, but he rocks harder than ever! And on Roger Daltrey's scream, I've said it once and I'll say it again, EVERYONE IN LONDON HEARD THAT SCREAM! Man what a show. Edit: By the way, Green Day's cover of Queen's We Are the Champions was an absolute disgrace. Talk about bad covers and bad images.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Devil Tiger avatar
    access_time 14y
    Posted by Dopefish (read up on Syd's reaction to it all)
    What was his reaction? I can't find it anywhere...
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • redkulaT avatar
    redkulaT Joined 15y ago
    access_time 14y
    URL to post:
  • Devil Tiger avatar
    access_time 14y
    I took some pictures of Pink Floyd's performance. Take a look here. They're all during Comfortably Numb.
    Mantra
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author