Decisions, Decisions

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending saDDer points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Already a Bananite? Login

If this should go in the tech forum sorry but I figured that there would be more people with source here (duh) and they might have a better idea of which of these would be best for CS:S. My comp is due for an update in order to stop my abysmal sub 20 fps on CS:S :bawl: . My 2.8 GHz Celeron is holding up fine so that can wait a bit, but now I'm torn on what to do about my graphics card. I currently have an ATi 9200 (no fancy SE or pro) and I want to get another Radeon card. However my budget is limited and I need to decide whether to get a higher end X700 Pro or a basic X800. I know the X800 is superior on paper but will the slightly cheaper X700 be more cost effecient? The second dilemma regards the processor. I could rip out my celeron and put in a nice £200 P4 3.4 (or whatever P4 is around £200 at the time) when I get the money around mid-summer. The other option is to rip out my main board as well and get an AMD 64. This however would have to wait till autumn by which time Intel may have something easier to install on offer. To quote the Architect (Matrix moment): "The problem is choice" BTW: If anyone can give me a good reason to switch to GeForce despite the massive prices I'd like to hear it (eeeep I sense flame but oh well :p )

• 13y
    saDDer avatar
    saDDer Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    I'm going with the X800 XT now thanks.

drewd: and the reasons I should chose an nvidia card when CSS is optimised for ATi is?
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    12 medals 3 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    6800 gt
    Bot Account
  • 13y
    nemes1s avatar
    nemes1s Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    364 points Ranked 11269th
    Ah yes, I forgot to include the PE (Platinum Edition) those are 256MB :P

It'll cost you a bit more but hell you can get it ;) As for the AMD bit, in my opinion I really don't see a difference between an AMD and an Intel, they both run great.

It's just that an AMD FX costs well over $1000 (In Canada) and they won't be going down anytime soon. Both proccessors run your games great.
    Just keepin' it fresh.
  • 13y
    saDDer avatar
    saDDer Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    wow most of my threads on other forums only get 2 replies. I make one here and get 6 before I have a chance to look at it again lol.

After careful consideration (i.e. asking for advice on every forum I know and borrowing a load of computer mags) I'm going to get an X800. Unfortunatly that means I will probably have to buy a new motherboard as well cause I dont know what my current one has. It's got at least 1 AGP (for the 9200) and 1 PCI (for my soundcard). I don't know what else its got in there. At least it means that I may be able to get the AMD that I wanted after all.

I2o[G>uE^TacT-X: the X800 is 256mb. I don't know what card your looking at.
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by .nemes1s.>He said X700, I recomended it, and compared it with a 7000 series. :)

Sorry, I guess I read through your post a little too quickly, but there really is one mistake :rolleyes: (I promise). The x800 is only 128mb's.
    Bot Account
  • 13y
    nemes1s avatar
    nemes1s Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    He said X700, I recomended it, and compared it with a 7000 series. :)
    Just keepin' it fresh.
  • 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by .nemes1s.>X700 would be just fine if you're looking to play Source games, but if you're interested in other games such as Doom 3 or Far Cry, then I'd switch up to an X800. (Just in case)

An ATI 7000 (64MB) would get you an FPS of 30 - 40 in CS:S, so imagine what an X800 (256MB) would get ya.

He said "x700" and not "7000." If you're going to get a new graphics card, get the x800 over the x700. Also, with the GeForce 6600GT out, there's no reason to buy a x700 (both cards are ~$200 and the 6600GT thoroughly trounces the card in terms of performance).

If I were you, I would just wait 'til summer and buy a new system completely.
    Bot Account
  • 13y
    nemes1s avatar
    nemes1s Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    X700 would be just fine if you're looking to play Source games, but if you're interested in other games such as Doom 3 or Far Cry, then I'd switch up to an X800. (Just in case)

An ATI 7000 (64MB) would get you an FPS of 30 - 40 in CS:S, so imagine what an X800 (256MB) would get ya.
    Just keepin' it fresh.
  • 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    For use in the source engine the X700 would probably be fine. From what I have read in articles the source engine relies heavily on your processor. That's the route I took for starters (running an ati 9600 and will remain with ati for the immediate future, no gforce for me :) ).
    Bot Account

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

saDDer avatar
saDDer Offline
Member Joined 13y