*****game and video tweaks!!!!!*****

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

SEX! Ok, we got your attention. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending shadysye-emff- points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

ok id like to start this thread letting everyone who knows a video or game tweak that will halp us video laggers get better fps and have a better game all together, so if you know of any good tweaks for cs:source, please post them here so the whole forum may see and share them. 1.opengl tweak: if you look in your counter-strike folder you will find another folder marked gldrv. this is the open gl driver folder for counter strike. cs comes with a 3dfx driver , but not with an opengl32.dll. i went to windows/system32 folder and found my opengl32.dll and my nvidia opengll and copied and pasted in the gldrv folder to give cs newer drivers in the game and now can play source and cs 1.6 better . in 1.6 it made a 25 fps difference!!! 2.video card tweaks: right click on your desktop , go to properties tab, then settings tab, then advanced tab at bottom right. in there you will find your video card information and settings. i turned all seetings down on my geforce fx5500 and found that with all the filtering and vertical sync off i got 10-15 more fps. while the game may not look as good, i get to play and have good scoring . 3. speeding up your computer. click on the start button, right click on my computer,go to the advanced tab . in here you will find 2 things that you will need to tweak to make yopur comp run etter as a whole. Under the performance tab i selected " adjust for best performance " instead of letting computer decide whats best for me. Now in the advanced tab setting of performance you will see a thing called page swapping at the bottom. this is where your computer allows a part of the hard drive to process things like video right on the hard drive rather than relying solely on your ram . i put my page swapping to the maximum 4096 MB and got astonishing results in game. 4. in game tweaks: lets look at the game itself . in game there is a video option . if you are not running cs:source to your satisfaction, then i suggest you do as i did and turn down all graphics to their minimmum. If you have a 17" monitor i recommend you run the game in 600X800 vid mode for better fps.i have a 19 inch monitor and run the game in 1024X768 mode. well i hope my personal tweaks will help someone , and i ask all who read this to please post any other in game or computer tweaks that you might have to share with the forums. thx again!!!!

• 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    12 medals 3 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    thanks for the info guys
    Bot Account
  • 13y
    ShOrtyOC714 avatar
    Member Joined 13y
    You said to go to your windows/system32 folder, i cant find it, where is it located? Will this matter if i already have a videocard?
    Bananite
  • 13y
    shadysye-emff- avatar
    Member Joined 13y
    please refer to this folder where gldrivers are kept in cs. 3dfx driver is the only driver in the folder and i definitely have the newest drivers.

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youremail\counter-strike\gldrv

believe me all of these work....
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Kornven avatar
    Kornven Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    266 points Ranked 14392nd
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Installation Guide Submitter Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    it goes to your cs folder, the files are in bmp format. If you have XP (or any windows newer than win98) select one of the files with this format and the preview should be shown on the lower left hand corner of the screen.
    SexyResults avatar
    Mantra
    SexyResults
  • 13y
    VaNiSh avatar
    VaNiSh Offline
    Member Joined 14y
    342 points Ranked 11848th
    eiether way this is good stuff, there are so many variences in how pcs handle the new source engine. It never hurts to have a bunch of ways to speed things up. Oh by the way when you take a in game screen shot where does it go to?
    www.buddahtribe.net
  • 13y
    Smurfty avatar
    Smurfty Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    140 points Ranked 22663rd
    Posted by xcon>
    3. speeding up your computer.
    click on the start button, right click on my computer,go to the advanced tab .
    in here you will find 2 things that you will need to tweak to make yopur comp run etter as a whole. Under the performance tab i selected " adjust for best performance " instead of letting computer decide whats best for me. Now in the advanced tab setting of performance you will see a thing called page swapping at the bottom. this is where your computer allows a part of the hard drive to process things like video right on the hard drive rather than relying solely on your ram . i put my page swapping to the maximum 4096 MB and got astonishing results in game.

neither cs nor css requires a lot of ram

and you don't need to do that thing with opengl if you've upgraded your graphic drivers
    Bananite
  • 13y
    omnirage avatar
    omnirage Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    9,923 points Ranked 445th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    Of course if you turn down settings it will reduce quality...
    The Illest. avatar
    Mantra
    The Illest.
  • 13y
    wow i tried #3 but when i right-clicked my computer there is no advanced tab im running on a windows xp(emachines) if that will help. and also for #4, if u turn all the settings down will the game look like the crappy graphics in 1.6 or will it kinda not make a difference?
    Bananite
  • 13y
    nice stuff maybe the best thing out of your tweak guide was probably #1 anyways the rest is not really that good to help performance wise unless you have a real slow computer but if you have a mid-range to high end than you wont see a difference but all in all good info for the average person!
    Bananite

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Category

Stats

Views