9800 pro horrible source fps HELP!!!

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Yo, buddy. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Guest points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Sound fun?

Already a Bananite? Login

Hey all, I hope some one here can help me out. First I will give you my stem specs: Amd Athlon XP 2600+ Barton ECS KM400-M2 MOBO 1 GIG PC2700 333mhx ram Ati All In Wonder 9800 pro I have my mobos latest 4in1 drivers installed, and an updated BIOS. I also have Ati's latest drivers for my card. With 1024 X 768 Hight tectures and detail, everything else bare minimum In a firefight I am dropping as low as 20 fps, standing alone I may get 70 if I am lucky but by average fps is llike 40. I am also running Dx9. I have talked to others with very similiar setups and they say they are getting 50 - 100 fps, meaning 50 in firefightss. Any help would be greatly appreciiated, is there something I am missing in the BIOS or anything at all. I just recently upgraded from a fx5700 and 768 meg of pc2100 to the 9800pro with 1 gig of pc 2700, with zero fps improvements , only plus is i can now play in dx9

• 13y
    omnirage avatar
    omnirage Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    9,923 points Ranked 445th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    2700 is fine, and he has enough of it. Anyway way to revive an old thread.
    The Illest. avatar
    Mantra
    The Illest.
  • 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    12 medals 3 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    should have gotten pc3200 ram!
    Bot Account
  • 13y
    Posted by H3ADHUn73R>Ok, the problem could be is that your settings are up way too high on the card itself. Go to your ATI catalyst control center, and make sure most of those under the 3d tab are set so they are set by the program, not the card. And from you system, getting that low of fps is normal, because the processor is kind of bad. Plus, All in wonder cards don't do as well with video games as the Radeons, since they are more for viedo editing and such. But, that fps looks almost normal for your setup, it could be higher though. You might try getting that cs source optimizer program. You can find the link in the last couple news posts on the main page. Oh and coldfusion = noob idiot since x600 sucks balls.

Ya I don't have a Radeon card so that might help him out I have a nividia geforce FX 5900 Ultra OC to 5950Ultra but ya a X600 does suck it couldn't beat a 6200OC card lol oh well hopefully when i get my new card when i get $200 more ill get my X850XTPE lol than ill be playin like a mother F**ker lol
    Bananite
  • 13y
    H3ADHUn73R avatar
    H3ADHUn73R Offline
    Member Joined 14y
    311 points Ranked 12760th
    Ok, the problem could be is that your settings are up way too high on the card itself. Go to your ATI catalyst control center, and make sure most of those under the 3d tab are set so they are set by the program, not the card. And from you system, getting that low of fps is normal, because the processor is kind of bad. Plus, All in wonder cards don't do as well with video games as the Radeons, since they are more for viedo editing and such. But, that fps looks almost normal for your setup, it could be higher though. You might try getting that cs source optimizer program. You can find the link in the last couple news posts on the main page. Oh and coldfusion = noob idiot since x600 sucks balls.
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Posted by Bartizek>Cold fusion is 13, he doesnt work for his computer, his parent's do =)

BTW don't think about calling your machine badass until you have atleast 2gigs of ram, and a nice cooling set-up.

Ohhh Burn lol oh well that was intresting.

The thing about the periods who cares this aint school it's perfectly good you can understand it, now understanding chinese i see the point and anyways it was one sentence and I missed one period so sue me lol
    Bananite
  • 13y
    alwin avatar
    alwin Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    Cold fusion is 13, he doesnt work for his computer, his parent's do =)

BTW don't think about calling your machine badass until you have atleast 2gigs of ram, and a nice cooling set-up.
    Bananite
  • 13y
    U.p.s avatar
    U.p.s Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    Although I agree with you, gateway, there's something I like to call a "period." It goes at the end of a "sentence." Moving on from that, upgrading to your system, Cold, would take him approximately 400 USD. That's a lot. He can't just get up and upgrade, can he?
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Posted by ColdFusioN>*hint*
    time to upgrade to a badass machine..

that is not badass not even close also some ppl don't have the money to upgrade so differnt solutions to there problems are needed not some stupid answer than envoles spending money that should be the last solution
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Sachen avatar
    Sachen Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    444 points Ranked 9630th
    *hint*
    time to upgrade to a badass machine..
    Bananite
  • 13y
    alwin avatar
    alwin Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    m gettin 60-70 fps with these specs with vertical sync on

3.20 ghz p4 processor
    1024 MB RAM
    160GB HD
    radeon x600 PRo 256 MB 16X PCI-X

running css at 1280X1024

How is that relivent?
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Sachen avatar
    Sachen Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    444 points Ranked 9630th
    im gettin 60-70 fps with these specs with vertical sync on

3.20 ghz p4 processor
    1024 MB RAM
    160GB HD
    radeon x600 PRo 256 MB 16X PCI-X

running css at 1280X1024
    Bananite
  • 13y
    alwin avatar
    alwin Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    I also have your setup except i dont know my motherboard and i have a 9600 pro and i get around 70-90 alone and 45-55 in firefights.if youre FPS is going down to 20 then you should probably update your driver for your video card and if you already did reinstall it.

other wise i have no idea.
    Bananite
  • 13y
    When in a firefight when you see your FPS go down do you yourself see a dramatic differnce becuase it may not show up correcly I have herd from some other forums that ppl see the numbers go down but in fact they are actually gettin the same thing as some others with the same exact computer.
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Filler avatar
    Filler Offline
    Member Joined 14y
    1,210 points Ranked 3891st
    Your mobo seems kinda old, you might want to think about upgrading it.
    B=====D avatar
    Mantra
    B=====D
  • 13y
    I doubt its the processer, being as i have a amd xp2500 + with 512 memory and an ati 9800 pro. I run the game at 1024x768 with everything on max except the anti-aliasing and I get about 50 fps in a gunfight. It could possibly be the ram speed. You have a 2600+ with 2700 ram, the 3200+ is supposed to use 2700 so your ram is probably too high of a speed. If you go any higher or any lower than the recommended speed of ram for your processor, performace will be noticably worse. I recommend going to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look up the recommended ram speed for your processor. You should do the motherboard's site because the memory that you use is dependant upon the chipset and the motherboard, not the processor.

WAKA WAKA CHEWBACCA!! GRLLLLL (Chewbacca noise), :-{P (dude with mustache)
    Bananite
  • 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    12 medals 3 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    Thanks are u saying i should go up to a 3000 or higher, or get a new mobo that will support higher fsb?
    Bot Account
  • 13y
    U.p.s avatar
    U.p.s Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    Posted by Quadzuki>Hey all, I hope some one here can help me out. First I will give you my stem specs:

Amd Athlon XP 2600+ Barton
    ECS KM400-M2 MOBO
    1 GIG PC2700 333mhx ram
    Ati All In Wonder 9800 pro

I have my mobos latest 4in1 drivers installed, and an updated BIOS. I also have Ati's latest drivers for my card.

With 1024 X 768
    Hight tectures and detail, everything else bare minimum

In a firefight I am dropping as low as 20 fps, standing alone I may get 70 if I am lucky but by average fps is llike 40. I am also running Dx9. I have talked to others with very similiar setups and they say they are getting 50 - 100 fps, meaning 50 in firefightss.

Any help would be greatly appreciiated, is there something I am missing in the BIOS or anything at all.

I just recently upgraded from a fx5700 and 768 meg of pc2100 to the 9800pro with 1 gig of pc 2700, with zero fps improvements , only plus is i can now play in dx9

Your problem is probably the processor. The Source engine can be VERY processor limited. I think it's time for an upgrade on that front, unless you like running in 800 by 600.
    Bananite

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Guest avatar
Guest Offline
Member Joined 12y