Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Problems with Half-Life 2, rendering...

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Hey, I just wanted to know if anyone else was having problems with the rendering in Half-Life 2. Everytime I load into the Route Canal map, the screen suddenly starts screwing up and everything starts to go transparent, flickering and flashing walls, seeing through walls, models, etc. I don't know this suddenly started happening on that map but it didn't happen until after I entered that map in particular. Every map before that point rendered fine. I thought that it may have just been a one time thing, but I restarted the game and rebotted several times and everytime I enter that map in particular, the screen gets all screwed up. Is there anyone else out there who has experienced this problem and if so, do you know why it is happening or how to correct it? And yes, I have all updated drivers, thats not an issue. Ok, I have narrowed the problem down to occuring only AFTER I use the flash light. Once the flash light is used, the entire screen/game is completely FUBAR. The screen starts to flicker, flash, I can see through walls, everything is completely screwed. Whats the deal?

Replies

• CyACE avatar
    CyACE Joined 18y ago
    1,740 points Ranked 21211th
    access_time 15y
    Nah it wouldn't fit with the setting and plot of HL. City 17 is a very different place from Black Mesa. Some models would fit but there are alot of weapons and enemies not present in HL2 from HL. Peace! :afro:
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Johnny Woo avatar
    Johnny Woo Joined 15y ago
    137 points Ranked 62104th
    access_time 15y
    why not extract HL2 hostages and stuff and put them into HL:S ? that should fix your problems..
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • CyACE avatar
    CyACE Joined 18y ago
    access_time 15y
    Posted by SureShot>HL:S, to be honest, sucks donkeys. It looks almost identical to the original, albeit with a few texture tweaks, ragdoll and blood splatter.:
    Of Course it looks the same, they didn't change any of the textures or maps! Only the models (from Blue Shift) and the lighting are really affected. Maybe after those HL:E uys get there hands on it they'll really do somethingn with it.
    Posted by SureShot>CS:S is bloody fun, but some maps are serious fps killas :roll:
    Sounds awesome... ... ...thats it I got nothing... :bawl: Peace! :afro:
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • SureShot avatar
    SureShot Joined 16y ago
    16,367 points Ranked 330th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 15y
    Posted by CyACE>Addendum: Got the collectors edition but haven't tried HL:S or CS:S yet. Wonder if they work ok...?
    HL:S, to be honest, sucks donkeys. It looks almost identical to the original, albeit with a few texture tweaks, ragdoll and blood splatter. CS:S is bloody fun, but some maps are serious fps killas :roll:
    Do you hear me now?
    URL to post:
  • CyACE avatar
    CyACE Joined 18y ago
    access_time 15y
    Could be that S7. Are you running the game above DirectX 7 pipes? (i.e. in the advanced video menu you can change this setting, but it should default to your card's category automatically). I got it too release day and Im up to "Anticitizen One" without any problems. Theres a little slowdown at the beginning of levels (which I assume is the autosave) and sometimes I lag a bit during intense combat, but otherwise I haven't seen any problems at all. Get it working ASAP S7! HL2 not only blows Doom 3 away, its quite possibly the best shooter Ive ever played... O stats for those wondering: Athlon XP 2100+ (1.733GHZ) 1024MB DDR Ram 128MB Geforce 4 Ti 4600 80GB 7500 RPM HD VIA KT333 Ultra Mobo Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 Speakers from Creative Labs (HL2 is really awesome in surround sound) Latest drivers 'n all and no problems yet... except with my lackluster aiming... :bawl: Peace! :afro: Addendum: Got the collectors edition but haven't tried HL:S or CS:S yet. Wonder if they work ok...?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • darkblade avatar
    darkblade Joined 17y ago
    226 points Ranked 54323rd
    access_time 15y
    It could be your graphics card, the reason it has it is because it isn't compatible with directx 9 shaders.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • hund_ avatar
    hund_ Joined 15y ago
    access_time 15y
    and thats whats nice about steam faster patches[some frooked up though> ;)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • SyntaxxSeven avatar
    SyntaxxSeven Joined 16y ago
    877 points Ranked 41554th
    access_time 15y
    Posted by hund_>usually running new drivers for a old cards doesnt help much[no new support in them>.this is a testiment to how good valve is that it runs on a dx7[maybe dx6> card.i know you have dx9 installed but that card doesnt support dx9.my machine [blushes> p4 3 gig ht,1024 ddr,gf 6800nu.i have had 2 hard locks and one part of a level where it felt like i was playing on the net[lag warping>.
    Well, I'll be soon to upgrade to a far superior machine, I have no doubts. When I upgrade, I'll go all the way. After all, I am a developer and I should have the very latest and greatest hardware at my disposal. As for the game, for what you have described - I know HL2 is brand new and it WILL, like every other game on the market, have plenty of kinks to work out. That is after all what patches are for and I am quite sure you'll see ALOT of HL2 patches released by Valve in order to correct many of the awkward crashes, visual glitches and sound errors that may ( high probabability ) occur over the next few months.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • hund_ avatar
    hund_ Joined 15y ago
    access_time 15y
    usually running new drivers for a old cards doesnt help much[no new support in them>.this is a testiment to how good valve is that it runs on a dx7[maybe dx6> card.i know you have dx9 installed but that card doesnt support dx9.my machine [blushes> p4 3 gig ht,1024 ddr,gf 6800nu.i have had 2 hard locks and one part of a level where it felt like i was playing on the net[lag warping>.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • SyntaxxSeven avatar
    SyntaxxSeven Joined 16y ago
    877 points Ranked 41554th
    access_time 15y
    Posted by hund_>what video card and os?
    Don't laugh, it's old but it's enough to run the game with everything on high detail, 2x anti-aliasing. It's a G-Force2, 64mb, AGpP 4x video card. I know that I am more then slightly outdated but that's not the problem. The card and the drivers are fully supported by HL2, hell, they are supported all the way back to the TNT2 32mb cards. The OS is XP Professional. I'm going to upgrade very soon and specifically for this game, but since I can run the game and everything looks good, I can affords to play on this machine until I pick up a brand new one.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • hund_ avatar
    hund_ Joined 15y ago
    access_time 15y
    what video card and os?
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL