half life 2 cost as well as modifica...

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Guest points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

well the title says it all: what will be the average cost to purchase a retail copy of hl2? and another question: since owning halflife basically gave the owner day of defeat, counterstrike, team fortress classic, (etc) for free, will valve be this generous for the different half life 2 mods that will inevitably be released? ...or will they be greedy and charge money for all mods... im poor so i need to see how much money i need to get. = T

• 13y
    H3ADHUn73R avatar
    H3ADHUn73R Offline
    Member Joined 14y
    311 points Ranked 12779th
    The retail price of Half-life 2 is 49.99 + whatever tax charge the store you bought it at applies. I paid 51.83 for the pre-order.
    Bananite
  • 13y
    tom avatar
    tom avatar Offline
    Super Admin Joined 16y
    4,588 points Ranked 998th
    47 medals 10 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Super Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Thanked 500 submitters Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Blogs Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 60 Polls Medal icon
    tom avatar
    tom
    test
    Pay2play online games have to offer something absolutely awesome to keep subscribers busy. Unless HL2 Multiplayer offers something absolutely awesome you won't see me paying $10/m to play DM or even CS:S.
    testing 1234 222
  • 13y
    Guest avatar
    Guest Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    12 medals 3 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    Gabe Newell: Here's my current thinking: Some people want to buy Half-Life 2 in a store. Right now we have three SKUs planned at three price points. One will have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market SKU (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world). The second is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer SKU that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX. The third is the collector's edition SKU with lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff.

In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. $9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the $9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content.
    Bot Account

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Guest avatar
Guest Offline
Member Joined 12y