half life 2 cost as well as modifica...

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Members see zero ads. Signup for free
well the title says it all: what will be the average cost to purchase a retail copy of hl2? and another question: since owning halflife basically gave the owner day of defeat, counterstrike, team fortress classic, (etc) for free, will valve be this generous for the different half life 2 mods that will inevitably be released? ...or will they be greedy and charge money for all mods... im poor so i need to see how much money i need to get. = T
  • H3ADHUn73R avatar
    H3ADHUn73R Joined 16y ago
    311 points Ranked 49611th
    15y
    The retail price of Half-life 2 is 49.99 + whatever tax charge the store you bought it at applies. I paid 51.83 for the pre-order.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • tom avatar
    tom username pic Joined 18y ago
    TBS2 Manager Super Admin
    54,399 points Ranked 69th
    60 medals 12 legendary 10 rare
    • Achieved Super Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Thanked 500 submitters Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Blogs Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 60 Polls Medal icon
    tom avatar
    tom
    test 1 2 3
    15y
    Pay2play online games have to offer something absolutely awesome to keep subscribers busy. Unless HL2 Multiplayer offers something absolutely awesome you won't see me paying $10/m to play DM or even CS:S.
    testing 1234 222
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    17 medals 4 legendary 5 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    15y
    Gabe Newell: Here's my current thinking: Some people want to buy Half-Life 2 in a store. Right now we have three SKUs planned at three price points. One will have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market SKU (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world). The second is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer SKU that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX. The third is the collector's edition SKU with lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff. In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. $9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the $9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content.
    Bot Account
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Guest avatar
Guest Joined 14y ago
17 medals 4 legendary 5 rare