Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

FBI Raids Suspect's House

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

As I read Slashdot this evening, I saw a story about Half-Life 2. It seems that last week, the FBI raided the home of a San Fransisco man, Chris Toshok, in connection with the theft of the Half-Life 2 source code from Valve Software. Several other members of a group called "Hungry Programmers"--which Toshok is a member of--reportedly had their computers seized by the Secret Service and FBI on January 14th. To refresh your memory, an unknown hacker planted trojan horses and password loggers on Valve's corporate network, gaining them access to the Half-Life 2 source code. Valve said they would have the FBI investigate the incident, and this is proof. The code theft caused a delay in the game's release, much to the dismay of fans. The FBI had a warrant (pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) to search Toshok's home for "...any IP addresses related to any of the Valve internal or external networks... Valve passwords and/or usernames... any and all items... related to Valve Software, Half-Life, Half-Life 2". They seized a total of 9 computers, as well as some other equipment. Toshok claims no wrong-doing; but regardless of his guilt or innocence, he will not see his computers again. Some of you may be surprised by that, but that's how it works, unfortunately. Once something is labeled "evidence", you do not get it back. We will let you know if and when charges are pressed, or when any new information surfaces. You can read the whole story on Toshok's weblog or get the condensed version at Slashdot. Be patient if you are trying to access his weblog. Once something is posted on Slashdot, it gets flooded with requests. We'll try to get local copies uploaded soon.

Replies

• Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    19 medals 4 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    access_time 16y
    All I have to say is, "Get in line with the rest of America, we voted for him after all! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!" btw little, might i ask where your sources are for that?
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    Now he goes and says the world has been 'safer' while he's been president...
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Garfield avatar
    Garfield Joined 16y ago
    835 points Ranked 41697th
    access_time 16y
    Check this out :) George Bush sums his mandatory: I attacked and took over 2 countries. I spent the entire U.S. surplus. I shattered the record for the biggest annual deficit in history (not easy!). I set an economic record for the most personal bankruptcies filed in any 12 month period. I set all-time record for the biggest drop in the history of the stock market. I am the first president in decades to execute a federal prisoner. In my first year in office I set the all-time record for most days on vacation by any president (tough to beat my dad's, but I did). After taking the entire month of August 2001 off for vacation, I presided over the worst security failure in U.S. history. I set the record for most campaign fund raising trips by any president in U.S. history. In my first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their jobs. I cut unemployment benefits for more out-of-work Americans than any other U.S. president. I set the all-time record for most real estate foreclosures in a 12-month period. I appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any president in U.S. history. I set the record for the fewest press conferences of any president, since the advent of TV. I signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any other U.S. president in history. I cut health care benefits for war veterans. I set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest me (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind. I dissolved more international treaties than any president in U.S. history. I've made my presidency the most secretive of any in U.S. history. Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in U.S. history. (The poorest multimillionaire, Condoleeza Rice, has a Chevron oil tanker named after her.) I am the first president in U.S. history to have all 50 states of the Union simultaneously struggle against bankruptcy. I presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud in the history of the U.S. I am the first president in U.S. history to order a U.S. attack AND military occupation of a sovereign nation, and I did so against the will of the United Nations and the vast majority of the international community. I have created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the United States, called the "Bureau of Homeland Security" (only one letter away from BS). I set the all-time record for biggest tax increases, more than any other president in US history (Ronnie was tough to beat, but I did it!!). I am the first president in U.S. history to compel the United Nations to remove the U.S. from the Human Rights Commission. I am the first president in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the Elections Monitoring Board. I removed more checks and balances, and have the least amount of congressional presidential administration in U.S. history. I rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant. I withdrew from the World Court of Law. I refused to allow inspectors access to U.S. prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions. I am the first president in U.S. history to refuse United Nations election inspectors access during the 2002 U.S. elections. I am the all-time U.S. (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign donations. The biggest lifetime contributor to my campaign, who is also one of my best friends, presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron Corporation). I spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in U.S. history. I am the first president to run and hide when the U.S. came under attack (and then lied, saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1) I am the first U.S. president to establish a secret shadow government. I took the world's sympathy for the U.S. after 9/11, and in less than a year made the U.S. the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in U.S. and world history). I am the first US president in history to have a majority of the people of Europe (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stability. I changed U.S. policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts. I set the all-time record for the number of administration Appointees who violated U.S. law by not selling their huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts. I have removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other president in U.S. history. I entered office with the strongest economy in U.S. history and in less than two years turned every single economic category down. RECORDS AND REFERENCES: I have at least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving record has been erased and is not available). I was AWOL from the National Guard and deserted the military during time of war. I refuse to take a drug test or even answer any questions about drug use. (wink, wink) All records of my time as Texas governor have been spirited away to my fathers library, sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view. All records of any SEC investigations into my insider trading or bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view. All minutes of meetings of any public corporation for which I served on the board are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view. With Love, GEORGE W. BUSH The White House, Washington, DC
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Garfield avatar
    Garfield Joined 16y ago
    access_time 16y
    Posted by CLuver?>If they can't find you on the map they'll just bomb the whole region :p
    Well they might, or they will just bomb entire Europe to be safe :rofl:
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Shadow Hunter avatar
    Shadow Hunter Joined 16y ago
    1,443 points Ranked 21924th
    access_time 16y
    i dled the cz player models and never tried them. do they still work?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    yes i downloaded cs-cz rituals and turd rocks and i know your the RIAA your gonna get stop it stop i knkow it stop yelling at me sthhop :crazy:
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    i don't want my computer taken !!! that is bs
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • tom avatar
    tom username pic Joined 18y ago
    TBS2 Manager Super Admin
    41,081 points Ranked 100th
    65 medals 12 legendary 10 rare
    • Achieved Super Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Thanked 500 submitters Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Blogs Medal icon
    • Submitted 60 Polls Medal icon
    tom avatar
    tom
    test 1 2 3
    access_time 16y
    Posted by little>Well they might me the same problem. As I say to my friends, **** USA, they won`t and can`t do anything to us .. they cannot find us on the map :P
    If they can't find you on the map they'll just bomb the whole region :p
    testing 1234 222
    URL to post:
  • E[X]i$t avatar
    E[X]i$t Joined 16y ago
    687 points Ranked 42921st
    access_time 16y
    That's a hilarious story.
    URL to post:
  • Garfield avatar
    Garfield Joined 16y ago
    access_time 16y
    Posted by CLuver?>You mean they accidently went to Slovakia instead of Slovenia? I suppose if Australia was nextdoor to Austria you'd get a similiar problem :p
    Well they might me the same problem. As I say to my friends, **** USA, they won`t and can`t do anything to us .. they cannot find us on the map :P
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Grumpy Troll avatar
    Grumpy Troll Joined 17y ago
    234 points Ranked 53548th
    access_time 16y
    I think Toshok is innocent of this charge, as he has pleaded so and he knows his computers are going to be searched by the FBI. If he were guilty, and he were to plead innocent, when the relevant evidence of the hack would be found the punishment he would be to receive would be even worse, and I’m sure Toshok is aware of this type of situation. I find it would be really unfair for the government to keep the computers they have raided if he is found innocent. And by the way, the leader of the “über-*******” clan myg0t knows who hacked VALVe, why don’t they raid his house and search in his conversation logs?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • tom avatar
    TBS2 Manager Super Admin
    tom avatar
    tom
    test 1 2 3
    access_time 16y
    Posted by little>muh ... has anyone seen "The story of Kevin Mitnick" or "The Enemy of the State"?! Anyway i saw a thing about you Americans some 2 days ago when the American delegation was going to Slovenia (a state besides us) and instead they went to Slovakia ... i love that we are a 3rd nation country :)
    You mean they accidently went to Slovakia instead of Slovenia? I suppose if Australia was nextdoor to Austria you'd get a similiar problem :p
    testing 1234 222
    URL to post:
  • Garfield avatar
    Garfield Joined 16y ago
    access_time 16y
    muh ... has anyone seen "The story of Kevin Mitnick" or "The Enemy of the State"?! Anyway i saw a thing about you Americans some 2 days ago when the American delegation was going to Slovenia (a state besides us) and instead they went to Slovakia ... i love that we are a 3rd nation country :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    Huh? Ulyaoth what you saying.. You d/led CZ?
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Shadow Hunter avatar
    access_time 16y
    Posted by sheardjr>Does anyone know what the law is like in the UK as to stealing people's comps?
    no i don't. so are you going to tell us?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Shadow Hunter avatar
    access_time 16y
    yah the government sucks sometimes, but that's just how it works.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The_Family_God avatar
    The_Family_God Joined 17y ago
    195 points Ranked 56095th
    access_time 16y
    That's pretty damn scary.
    #gwfilms
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 16y
    ok thats it this is tromtizing me i just downloaded cs-cz turtles and umm somthing else i forgot anyways this is romtizing me no more downloading games anymore no more ever :cheesy: if anyone tryes to get me and sue me for what i did along time ago hmmm not good im a crazy girl :crazy: i might to somthing naought
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • tom avatar
    TBS2 Manager Super Admin
    tom avatar
    tom
    test 1 2 3
    access_time 16y
    Posted by InspectorG>I doubt it, 90 percent of the items taken in Federal Raids end up stolen by our government even if he is found innocent. My father had a Firearm collection that was licensed and perfectly legal, his house was raided by ATF due to someones tip that they were illegal. But after the courts found that they were indeed legal and he had rights to them, the government issued my father an appology and stated the guns were 'accidently' sold in government auctions. Real nice, especially since when he tried to sue them, it was thrown out because the judge said they had acted lawfully. Hate to see unlawful actions... :)
    Gosh, that just sucks. They probably landed in the hands of Al Queda operatives... Woops. :p
    testing 1234 222
    URL to post:
  • InspectorG avatar
    InspectorG Joined 17y ago
    7 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    access_time 16y
    I doubt it, 90 percent of the items taken in Federal Raids end up stolen by our government even if he is found innocent. My father had a Firearm collection that was licensed and perfectly legal, his house was raided by ATF due to someones tip that they were illegal. But after the courts found that they were indeed legal and he had rights to them, the government issued my father an appology and stated the guns were 'accidently' sold in government auctions. Real nice, especially since when he tried to sue them, it was thrown out because the judge said they had acted lawfully. Hate to see unlawful actions... :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • tom avatar
    TBS2 Manager Super Admin
    tom avatar
    tom
    test 1 2 3
    access_time 16y
    This guys won ID is going to be banned until 2320. :p 9 computers is alot of money, and they likely contain alot of intellectual property. Will he be compensated if proven innocent?
    testing 1234 222
    URL to post:
  • QuickDraw avatar
    QuickDraw Joined 16y ago
    212 points Ranked 54898th
    access_time 16y
    the guys not even proven guilty. Dont be so fast to blame. he was only was related because he knew the people who did take the code. read closely. i Think he's innocent. On a lighter note -> news of my own: (maybe i can start a little 'thing') STEELPAD, the company that a lot of the CPL ppl use like 3d (of course), has made a new accesory called the GG. no not Good game. or "gg you pug scrub". gg as in 'Gaming Glove'. The purpose of it is to improve your aim by reducing the friction from ur wrist/palm and the table top/mousepad. Read more here. :p (yea the guy has chubby fingers)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • monkonaut avatar
    monkonaut Joined 17y ago
    access_time 16y
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH! ****ING PWNT! Next stop, everyone who downloaded it.
    SELL SELL FOOKING SELL
    URL to post:
  • epilogue^ avatar
    epilogue^ Joined 16y ago
    815 points Ranked 41839th
    access_time 16y
    its good to see that they are taking action to take these people down
    used to be shawn
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner