Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

What makes a good or bad chart, in your opinion? - A Forum Thread for Friday Night Funkin'

rhythm game players give me your wisdom

Hey there. I’m relatively new to charting, and most of my rhythm game knowledge comes from Taiko no Tatsujin, so charting arrow maps is new territory for me and other modders who got into charting because of FNF. 

I’ve notice a lot of experienced rhythm game players complaining about charts for having flaws such as note spam, overusing jacks, etc. etc.— and I’d really be interested in hearing some thoughts from the more experienced community (or even just casual players who are tired of seeing a certain pattern in charts) on what sets a good chart apart from a bad one. I’ve tried looking for tips but a lot of it is for DDR, which mainly focuses on leg movement, so I thought it’d be cool to make a thread for it here.

I also feel like a tutorial/thread for explaining stuff like what qualifies as note spam/what certain terms mean etc. would be cool and help a bunch of new modders! I found a ref for DDR here that explains jacks and stairs and other things for anyone who needs it. 

Thanks in advance if you share your tips, any tips are appreciated. :-)

also i probably dont need to say this but please dont use this as a thread to bash on other peoples charts like “bro i hate the [example] mod’s charting literal trash” 
  • (imo)

personally, I consider myself slightly above average at fnf, this was the first rhythm game I got super into so I'm no veteran at rhythm games or whatever but I have fc'd all of base game and b sides (besides milf) on Kade Engine without mashing, if that's anything to go by at all idk lol.

a good chart (assuming we're on hard) is consistently challenging throughout with at least one "insane" line that can be mastered with proper skill and muscle memory. Dad Battle and MILF both represent this pretty well; when I first perfected them, I personally was super hype. 

you can go the whole "every line is hard" route like ballistic and madness go for (madness being a more fair version of that concept), but in the case of ballistic it can lead to a pretty divided chart that may push some players away (not knocking ballistic though, still a super fun song to me).

as a side note, normal and easy difficulties should try to make the songs easier while still attempting to encapsulate the "hype" lines. madness is the best example I can think of; I love playing it on both normal and hard.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LadMcLad avatar
    LadMcLad username pic Joined 12mo ago
    2,198 points Ranked 21,910th
    9 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • Reached 10 subscribers Medal icon
    • Thanked 5 submitters Medal icon
    • Received thanks 5 times Medal icon
    10mo
    i like any chart, easy or hard, as long as it's synced with the vocals, if it's not synced then it's a bad one
    Random Person Trying His Best
    URL to post:
  • UrJust2Ez4Me avatar
    841 points Ranked 45,814th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • Thanked 5 submitters Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    UrJust2Ez4Me ModdingFunkers Flag
    Affiliation
    ModdingFunkers
    10mo
    Just add notes anywhere. When you find the good one, erase the others and continue.
    I used this method for my KrabBattle mod.
    Everyone hates me except me. avatar
    Mantra
    Everyone hates me except me.
    URL to post:
  • InterGuy584 avatar
    InterGuy584 Joined 11mo ago
    192 points Ranked 72,320th
    10mo
    Personally, I haven't played many rhythm games, so I don't know if what I consider a good chart would be... weird? Though I do know some decent music theory, so hopefully that helps a bit.

First of all, the down arrow tends to be best used for low notes, and the up arrows better for high notes. That's obvious enough, but left and right notes need a bit more of an explanation.

The left notes tends to show the character in a "receding" position, while the right notes have them face the Boyfriend directly. By this logic, right notes tend to have more "oomph" than left notes. This even applies to the Boyfriend, since his left (forward) pose has a mostly neutral expression, while his right pose (backward) has a smug smirk.

Another important thing is that you need to make the BPM (beats per minute) in the editor match the BPM of the song. If you don't know what that is, just remember that GF bops her head once every beat, and arrows come in at the same rhythm as when she bops her head, so whatever number you punch in, she bops her head that many times in a minute. Setting the BPM correctly is VERY important to making a satisfying chart. The best way I've found to find a song's BPM is to use a metronome (or some metronome app that I'm sure exists somewhere) to play the beats based off of a certain BPM, let it run through the whole song and see if it still matches up at the end.

Then there's the actual patterning. You won't be able to match each note with an arrow (four arrows versus twelve potential noes in a musical scale), so you'll have to get creative. Make the characters dance in such a way that matches the music. Try applying these mini-patterns where they fit best:
    • "Roll": arrows are pressed in a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion (example: < v >)
    • "Slide": Arrows appear one after the other on the bar (example: v ^ >)
    • "Zig-zag": Going back and forth between two arrows (example: < v < v)
    • Jackhammer: probably the most divisive pattern. Involves pressing one note multiple times in a row. (example: ^ ^ ^)
    Those aren't official names or anything, I just came up with those terms on the spot. Except for Jackhammer (or Jack). That one's legit.

There might be some other mini-patterns, but I can't think of any right now.

The way to make interesting note patterns is to combine these mini-patterns in such a way that contrast each other, but only in accordance to how the song sounds.

About Jackhammers... it's fine of it's used sparingly, especially with relatively slow parts (like the first part of MILF: v v v<>^). Even the fast variations can be used every now and them to spice things up (like in Blammed: >>V > ^). Just don't spam them. If you have a lot of REALLY fast notes together, I like to use zigzags.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • erasedcards avatar
    erasedcards username pic Joined 5mo ago
    Still Offline
    418 points Ranked 55,199th
    15 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    5mo 14d
    in my opinion, i like hellclown the best. i havnt beaten it yet. so thats why i like it. ive beaten vsmatt, tabi, zardy, kapi, and i lot of other more advanced mods, so i like it when i cant beat em :)

edit: why the fuck couldnt i beat hellclown its so fuckin easy
    o- oh dear god
    URL to post:
  • SebDev avatar
    SebDev Joined 1mo ago
    1mo
    tbh it just has to sync in with the music well enough
    Stickfigure avatar
    Mantra
    Stickfigure
    URL to post:
  • What makes a good chart is to make sure it is on sync, creative. What makes a bad chart, however, is to smash your keyboard with jack spams and say it's a chart for your 3rd song.
    Bananite
    URL to post: