Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Knowing what's Wifi-Safe or not - A Forum Thread for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

So I have seen countless people asking the same question "Is this Wifi-Safe?". Now, I will break it down for you what's safe and what's not. Obviously, you can tell if a mod is safe or not if the description says "It's not wifi-safe", easily imply that those that didn't said "Not Wifi-Safe" means it's Wifi-Safe.

Character Mods: Depends
  • If a mod change/alter boneset, it's 100% not wifi-safe.
    -Examples for altered boneset:
    Knuckles
    This tweet
  • Swapping character animation is also not wifi-safe, except for victory poses.
  • Extended Visibility Animations might also be not wifi-safe.
  • Texture mods, model imports, mods with custom bones for bone physics or Swing Bones are wifi-safe as they don't affect other players, hitbox, and/or desync and force disconnect.
    -Examples for mods with custom bones for bone physics:
    ExDeath
    Grimmjow
  • Mods using exoskeleton addon are confirmed to be wifi-safe.
    -Examples:
    World of Final Fantasy Sora
    Sephora
  • Regarding mods that includes model.nusktb but did not indicate if its Wifi-Safe or not, it's probably the submitter include everything for it to work back in ARCropolis 0.9.6 (fake one slot). In short, place the entire dumped c00 or whatever with modifications.
    -Example:
    Swimsuit Pyra/Mythra
  • Playing unintentional characters are questionable. See the mod's description for more details.
  • Playing with custom physics value (swing.prc) is also wifi-safe!
    Example: Exaggerated Breast Physics
  • Regarding mastaklo's mods, he often display Custom Attributes on the side, whether or not it's Wifi-Safe. Just try to check the side next time before asking.

Mii Costumes: Depends
  • If it's just an import with no modification for the bones, it's 100% wifi-safe.
  • If the bones altered, it's 100% not wifi-safe.
  • If the bones altered for physics bones, it's 100% wifi-safe.
  • If deleting Mii Head or other parts via param, it's 100% wifi-safe.
  • If uploading it with the 3D rendered UI, it's 100% not wifi-safe. You'll get into trouble if you upload it on Shared Content.
    Example: This Tweet
    Tho it shows for non-Switch modders, but it's risky to show mods in Shared Content nontheless. Don't do that. This is the same goes to modded Mii Costumes as well.
    Two explanations:
    Zarek
    Me

Stage Mods: Depends
  • A mod with edited collisions, edited blastzones, model swaps (copy/paste files from one folder to another), editing rig platforms are not wifi-safe.
  • Texture mods, custom bones for background, and other aesthetic mods that don't affect either above are wifi-safe.
  • Playing unintentional stages, like characters, are questionable. Playing them in Quickplay/Elite Smash, Tourney, and Public Arena are not safe! But playing it in a Private Arena is safe, as long as people don't report your account for hacking.

UI and Sound Mods: Wifi-Safe
User Interfaces, like any mods, are client-based. So no one but you can see some customize UIs (Menu, character selection, portraits, Title Screen, Opening, Fonts). Sounds and Musics that replaces existing files are also safe.

Extra Music Mods: Not Wifi-Safe
Sm5shMusic lets you add new tracks or move existing tracks to other series. The description of the mod already states that it's not wifi-safe. People have the decency to report your account if there's something suspicious when playing in public arena and Quickplay/Elite Smash. Obviously, playing with your friends in a private arena are okay, as long as your friends don't snitch at you.

Mods that affect GSP: ???
I honestly don't know if using mods to get the high scores will affect the GSP. For Smash 4, it doesn't matter. I'm not sure for Ultimate as it might share your scores online.

Tl;dr: If there's no mention if it's Wifi-Safe or not, it's automatically Wifi-Safe.

If you know about GSP being safe or not, let me know.
  • Kroolgimmicklmao avatar
    Kroolgimmicklmao Joined 1y ago
    271 points Ranked 63,454th
    1y
    Thanks for the explanation!
    Ylno
    URL to post:
  • kalomaze avatar
    kalomaze Joined 6y ago
    BotW Manager Splatoon Manager SMO Manager NASB Manager
    41,683 points Ranked 115th
    48 medals 5 legendary 8 rare
    • 30 submissions featured Medal icon
    • 2017 Top Contributor Medal icon
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 2019 Top Contributor Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    1y

You can add swing bones and have those edits be Wi-Fi safe. Not all skeleton edits will desync by default, only those that change proportions will desync. You mention this later too so i'm confused on why this bit is here

Model swaps (imports I assume you meant) would also be fine for stages on Wi-Fi since those wouldn't change any collisions
    Terrible at modding smash
    URL to post:
  • What about character unlock cheats that don’t involve any illegal DLC stuff?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • You said all of the music stuff is wifi-safe, but does that include music addition (not replacement)? I know that there's a WIP project for music addition called Sm5shMusic (there's a github page if you're interested, but I can't post links yet unfortunately), but I'm not sure if it's wifi-safe.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Nintenbr0 avatar
    Nintenbr0 Joined 12mo ago
    510 points Ranked 51,731st
    6 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Thanked 5 submitters Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    11mo
    Thanks for the helpful explanation! However, I do have a question about one thing: are voice mods that use a skyline plugin, such as the Mario Series voice mods by Mario and Sonic Guy, wi-fi safe?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Marionaise avatar
    Marionaise Joined 1y ago
    1,510 points Ranked 23,987th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • Submitted 10 Sounds Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    11mo
    modded victory poses are wifi safe ? wow
    I'm french i eat baguette
    URL to post:
  • Tac21 avatar
    Tac21 Joined 10mo ago
    237 points Ranked 66,750th
    6 medals 1 rare
    • Thanked 5 submitters Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    9mo
    I'd also note that now there is an ability to ADD tracks in smash ultimate? yeah, that's not wifi safe at all.

REPLACING tracks however, should be.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Are font mods wifi-safe?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • can unintentional stages be randomly selected in quickplay? they don't replace any of the normal stages, so will the game still select them?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • YOBOYED avatar
    YOBOYED Joined 1mo ago
    1mo
    what about voice mod.. is wifi safe?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • what about intro movies that play when the game boots up are those safe?
    Bananite
    URL to post: