Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

WON vs. Steam

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Some healthy debate has been brought up over the issue of WON vs. Steam. That being Valve's old way of having users patch their Counter-Strike via downloadable exe files and play the game on WON servers versus Valve's new forced method of having players go through Steam, which updates automatically, to play their favorite games. Do the benefits of Steam outweigh the old method we're all used to? Personally, I think so. Yes that's right, I do like Steam. But I'm beginning to see the other side of the story after reading over this post on the Steam forums. "My own personal experience with STEAM has been so bad I have ended up stopping developing under HalfLife and haven't played since the Steam 1.0 final was released, but rather than "fl@m3z0r" VALVe, I would prefer to hear the other side of the argument as to why users aren't being given the choice of either patching themselves, or using STEAM. I personally see absolutley no reason why STEAM authentication cannot be brought out as a standalone patch for 1.1.1.0 users to download and enable play on steam servers, I used to enjoy being able to set up my debugger to run "hl.exe" and pressing F5 for a quick boot of the game to check small changes to code. With STEAM this simply cannot be done, it takes about 5-10 minutes to boot the game for the majority of users, including myself, and waiting 5 minutes to test simple changes in code is just not acceptable, other engines have suddenly become more attractive." -RobGP Heavy stuff. Read the other several hundred replies here. Play nice now.

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Sushi avatar
Sushi Joined 17y ago
3,587 points Ranked 2248th
Sushi