GameBanana shows no ads to members. Sign up now!
Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Which is the best PERSONA game to start with?

A Forum Thread for Persona 4 Golden (PC)

Which is the best PERSONA game to start with?

Hello, I would like to start the saga but I do not know which game, and I would like to know which game is the most convenient to introduce myself. Maybe it's a bit ironic to ask in Persona 4 section, but I am very active in gamebanana and what I have seen in all the time I have been here is that the community of this game is very active too. And maybe, you guys have experience with the series in general.

I also ask because everywhere I have seen, they say to start with 5, but I don't know if starting with the last is the right thing to do.

(If the question is seems out of place for the admins, I will delete it without problem)

• OverDoesIt avatar
    OverDoesIt Joined 11d ago
    11d
    I personally recommend persona 3 FES first, since the future games have improve in a lot of aspect and it's hard to play persona 3 after playing persona 4. Based on my experience.

Bananite
    URL to post:
  • DuhBoof65 avatar
    DuhBoof65 Joined 10mo ago
    Goner
    430 points Ranked 48,345th
    6 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Thanked 5 submitters Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    11d
    I think P3FES then onwards, I dunno about Persona 1 & 2 but I remember playing Persona 1 PSP at one point...and literally every one or two steps you get a random enemy encounter and I just gave up on that.

But yeah, like what the other guy said.
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    URL to post:
  • Every games story is unique to that game, so in terms of lore it doesn't really matter where you start.
    There are two different games I'd suggest.
    If I was recommending anyone to play a Persona game, I'd absolutely encourage them to play 4. I think it's the best game in the series, hands down. It's what sucked me into the franchise, and I'm not sure if I played 3 first I would've been as excited for P4 coming out as I was for P5.
    However, if you want to play all three of the good ones, 3, 4, and 5, -really I wouldn't suggest you waste your time with the first two- then you might be better of playing Persona 3 first. I've only played the PSP version of that game and I really loved it. I played it after 4 and it really wasn't that hard to get in to. The important gameplay, like dungeon exploration, wasn't too different from 4. But when you're not exploring the other world it's kinda like a point and click game. It was definitely a downgrade, as should be expected when playing backwards, but it was fine. Though replaying the game was made an issue after I played Persona 5. That was when I had a problem with the serious downgrade in controls.

TLDR: I would highly recommend you start with Persona 4, then 3, then 5. My second recommendation if you aren't good at all with adjusting to worse controls, do 3 4 5.
    • Helpful x 1
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • RedFalcon avatar
    RedFalcon Joined 11d ago
    11d 11d
    For me Persona 4/Golden is the best game to start since it's newbie friendly, easy to understand the system. And then you can continue to Persona 3 FES which is slightly difficult than 4. Then you can explore other Persona series, including 5/Royal.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Freekillm249 avatar
    Freekillm249 Joined 10y ago
    145 points Ranked 63,775th
    7 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    11d
    Real talk? Any game.

Gameplay wise, the chronological order is how the gameplay improves, but other than that, you can play any, story varies and you don't need to know the previous one to understand. There are a few comments about the previous game in each but it's far and few.

1 and 2 are gems that strangely no one touches, not even Atlus. Because some think they are way too old, to each their own, but they are very solid.

3 or FES is neat and quite moody, you can't control your characters directly (not exactly bad),and while you're the ace, you aren't the boss, it's a nice change.

P3P is 3 with a optional female protagonist, and you can control your party. Some say even if it's an downgrade to PSP, the changes to MC and other characters are very well received making it on par with FES.

4 and 4G are quite happy and is fairly forgiving, and you lead investigations in a small town, early game feels like Scooby Doo (in a good sense) and mid/lategame you actually have to pin down clues, is very homely and cosy. And it's on PC.

5 or 5R is the newest and it takes a sweetspot between 3 and 4 in mood. Other than the obvious differences, if you get tired of grinding, this one the combat is quite fast and wont tire you easily with how good looking it is.

If you got any specific question, just ask, and sorry for the wall of text.

TL;DR
    Chronological for joyride
    FES then P3P for constant dread burn (no pun intended)
    4G for small town vibes and saving people
    5R for rebelion against those that took something from you
    • Helpful x 1
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • harper6202 avatar
    harper6202 Joined 9mo ago
    113 points Ranked 68,806th
    11d
    4 Golden is the best place to start. It's very beginner friendly.
    idk avatar
    Mantra
    idk
    URL to post:
  • rudiger__gb avatar
    rudiger__gb Joined 4y ago
    3,374 points Ranked 2,791st
    16 medals 3 rare
    • 10 submissions featured Medal icon
    • Received thanks 50 times Medal icon
    10d 10d
    Listen to me. :)

Persona 3 is the least accessible. Its mechanics are pretty antiquated at this stage and the dungeons are the least fun of the big three (3, 4, 5). The story is good but not on another level compared to the others. 3 has one of the most fanatical fanbases and with respect, I think it clouds their judgement. Objectively, in 2020, it is not the best game to start with. (Sorry, I love you 3 fans!).

Royal, is the game I would recommend people start with providing they don't mind the idea of sinking 100 hours+ into a game. It has the most fine tuned mechanics and fluid combat overall. The dungeons are super dynamic and fun and it's simply the most modern. Don't bother with the original version of 5. Royal is an upgrade in every practical way - especially for someone who's never played a Persona game before.

If you're not too keen on committing to 100+ hours for your first Persona game, start with Golden on PC + mods. Follow the instructions in Pixelguin's "P4G PC Fixes + Quality-of-Life Mod Directory" before you begin. (Message me if you're confused as to what exactly you should install for a first playthrough. I'll be happy to send you a pre-configured modpack).
    • Thanks x 1
    Enhancement mods and fixes
    URL to post:
  • SphericalCube avatar
    SphericalCube username pic Joined 4y ago
    Deactivated
    333 points Ranked 51,537th
    9 medals 1 rare
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    10d
    play persona 1 with a patch or two lol

not playing persona 1 means missing out on the greatness that is mark/masao
    Make some coffee? avatar
    Mantra
    Make some coffee?
    URL to post:
  • JayTheTaco avatar
    JayTheTaco Joined 3mo ago
    109 points Ranked 70,277th
    9d
    really depends on what you have available to you.
    If you have a PS4 Get P5/P5R
    If you have a PC, Get P4G on steam
    If you have a PSP/PS2 get P3/P3F/P3P

after beating one of those then I would maybe recommend trying Persona 2/the original persona, they're pretty different but I still recommend them.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Seems you've already made your choice from looking at the other comments but I wanted to reassure you as someone who, so far has played in the order P4G>P5>P2(>P5R) myself, I haven't felt any big issues playing out of order. 
    I genuinely believe P2 might actually be my favourite of the series so far despite it feeling significantly aged compared to the other two I've played.
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

BrussTrigger avatar
BrussTrigger Joined 5mo ago
2,545 points Ranked 20,370th