Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Opinions on new PC

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

So my old PC bit the big one a while ago. Shortly thereafter my laptop also followed in its footsteps. Been using the Mrs PC but it is only good for browsing basically. I think it is finally time to bite the bullet and get myself a new PC. To be honest I really don't play the most modern games but I would like to dabble if I have the option. I have built all my previous PC's but this time around I am looking at buying a built system. I am also not looking to buy online and have shipped. Kinda don't like  the thought of having my new pc banging around in a truck lol.  Fortunately I have a very local Microcenter. I prefer buying from "Brick and Mortar".  I am looking at a couple of options by PowerSpec...
http://www.powerspec.com/systems/system_specs.phtml?selection=G706

http://www.powerspec.com/systems/system_specs.phtml?selection=G434

Both of these are overkill for what I mainly play...original HLDM. I do play a bit of cs1.6, cs:go, TF2, L4D/2 and have some newer but no brand new games. Both systems seem to be a more than enough for my needs. I am interested in messing with some VR games. I am thinking both of these should be able to handle it(?)

Like opinions on my choice of these PowerSpec systems.  Both of these are on sale and between 1300-1400 dollars. I have done a bit of looking into the AMD VS Intel for both of these choices and it is pretty much a tie on performance. If you do have an opinion though on processor choice on these two feel free to give them to me. Both are quite shiny compared to the stone age pc I was using.

Thank you in advance for anyone that adds their opinion. =)

-SilentRunner007

• Danial Zahid avatar
    Danial Zahid username pic Joined 7y ago
    Bug Zapper Ripe Supporter Baldi Manager GoldSrc Manager Moderator
    3,809 points Ranked 2111th
    62 medals 5 legendary 17 rare
    • Submitted 50 Gamefiles Medal icon
    • Submitted 15 Tools Medal icon
    • Submitted 60 Prefabs Medal icon
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Danial Zahid avatar
    Danial Zahid
    Bug Zapper
    access_time 17d edit 17d
    From your choices, I'd advise you to go with the PowerSpec® G434 one. I don't have any experience with the AMD products, so can't really tell anything about that.
    Comparing both, this one has more memory as well as a modular Gold rating PSU.

And yes, both of them should able to support the VR (games).
    URL to post:
  • Gamer Speedwagon avatar
    Gamer Speedwagon username pic Joined 1y ago
    elsewhere
    436 points Ranked 47074th
    14 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • 2019 Top Contributor Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • 10 submissions featured Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • Thanked 5 submitters Medal icon
    Gamer Speedwagon avatar
    Gamer Speedwagon
    The Starboard Crusader [SCS] Flag
    Affiliation
    The Starboard Crusader [SCS]
    access_time 17d
    I took a look at some of the other PCs available on the website and I think you should go with the G704 (assuming you only need 1080p).

I don't know what VR performance would be like but the Ryzen 7 2700 is a very reliable CPU and the RTX 2060 is a great card, especially after the price drop and the introduction to the KO series.

The weird thing about Ryzen CPUs is that even though they offer a little less performance in games compared to Intel CPUs, they excel in non-gaming tasks (rendering, compressing, decompressing, etc.).

I would've recommended the G162 too, but since you mentioned your interest in VR, I immediately thought "Yep. Half Life Alyx."

I would also like to mention the G502, which also looks pretty good. I'm not sure how much the G704 costs but I'm sure it's $1000 or less, and you could spend the extra money on a nice 144hz monitor.

Could very well just be me.
    Professionals have standards. avatar
    Mantra
    Professionals have standards.
    URL to post:
  • Alfa1337 avatar
    Alfa1337 Joined 13y ago
    REDEMPT Manager WANTED! Manager
    Boogie
    19,366 points Ranked 279th
    34 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    access_time 17d edit 17d
    I don't know how well do you do your maintenance (cleaning dust from PC).

Reasons to go that AMD system G706:

1. It's air cool, unlike Intel, which is water cooled (pump can fail).
    2. It has 16 threads due to SMT, unlike the i7 9th gen, which has only 8 threads.
    3. Asrock X570 Pro 4 has more USB ports at the rear, useful for VR, while the Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, has 6.

Though have 2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 internal inside.

Reasons to go that Intel system G434:

1. 32 gigs of memory of 3.6 GHz speed, instead of 3.2 GHz.
    2. Fully modular power supply
    3. At stock, the i7 edges out a little. Only those pesky 3A DRM games can hammered the CPU.

If you are worry about Intel CPU being vulnerable, most of the exploits (pre-2019-2019) were fix under a new batch of R0 stepping. Then again, you are gaming on it, not some high-level corporate guy.

Though, AMD has SMT vulnerability.

However, either way, both are good choice.
    URL to post:
  • Wheatley_ avatar
    Wheatley_ username pic Joined 11y ago
    Sapientia Studio Flag Affiliation: Sapientia Studio
    37,597 points Ranked 114th
    31 medals 3 legendary 5 rare
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    • Received thanks 50 times Medal icon
    • Thanked 50 submitters Medal icon
    Wheatley_ avatar
    Wheatley_
    Sapientia Studio Flag
    Affiliation
    Sapientia Studio
    access_time 17d
    Depends on what you will do in future:

- Mostly playing games: PowerSpec G433, PowerSpec G434 - in that order

- Heavy work (video editing, rendering etc.): PowerSpec G434 / PowerSpec G706 (better CPU for work but only 16gb of ram)

Whatever you will choose - you will be happy and as you said more than enough to play your favorite games :)
    URL to post:
  • Thunderkeil avatar
    Thunderkeil username pic Joined 6y ago
    14,309 points Ranked 410th
    31 medals 3 legendary 6 rare
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • 15+ Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2017 Medal icon
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Day Three Winner! Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2015 Medal icon
    access_time 17d edit 15d
    Well, I'd say your first priority should be to figure out whether you do indeed want to play VR or not

Any 300$ box w/ a discrete GPU will play the games you listed and many more, seems a shame to throw an additional 1000$ at a ''yea idk maybe I'll try it at some point''

As for the processors, the ryzen has a better single thread rating and a much better multithread rating. I'm assuming the intel is the more expensive model, so you're paying that difference entirely for getting double the amount of RAM you'll ever need.

I mean, it sounds like you're not planning to buy a new one again in less than 10 years so it's entirely reasonable to get a system that'll serve you well for that time. Regardless I'd say the ryzen is the better investment, if for some godforsaken reason games actually need 32GB RAM 6 years from now that'll be much easier to upgrade than if your CPU ends up just not quite cutting it by that point.
    URL to post:
  • silentrunner007 avatar
    silentrunner007 Joined 13y ago
    21,892 points Ranked 237th
    17 medals 1 legendary 4 rare
    • 3rd Place - 2016 Winter Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 15d
    First of thank you all for sharing your opinions. :)

I know my choices are a bit overkill for the games I listed. A lesser computer would easily fulfill my needs for those games.  I do own games that wouldn't even run on my old rig. I went with those two particular options because yeah I will probably be using this for a while and I don't want to worry if a game catches my eye that I will be concerned if it will run on my computer lol

My deceased rig specs are listed in my profile. Tells you how often I upgrade.

PC Specs

Case
    Case icon Cooler Master
    CPU/Processor
    CPU/Processor icon AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.1GHZ
    RAM/Memory
    RAM/Memory icon 8GB Generic
    Motherboard
    Motherboard icon MSI K9N6SGM-V
    Graphics Card
    Graphics Card icon GeForce 8800 GTX

Needless to say I am not in the loop on newer stuff haha.

As you guys mentioned.. things like the gold mod power supply vs the bronze semi modular one. I am near an airport and a highway plus I have cats so dust/ hair is an issue. I have no problem with doing routine cleaning. It has been something I have always done. Truth be told I have never dealt with liquid cooling so I do have concerns about a computer having one. Other than my first computer all I have built have been AMD.  I lean more towards the AMD.. upgrading/adding RAM if needed is no biggie... I just wish it came with the Gold rated PSU.

Also I was planning on getting a 144Hz monitor at the same time. More overkill for my old games but its time to go big or go home lol.

Stud Muffin avatar
    Mantra
    Stud Muffin
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

silentrunner007 avatar