Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

How do I flip viewmodels in Blender?

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

No ads for members. Membership is 100% free. Sign up!
I should preface this that I'm technically porting skins intended for CS:S over to Garry's Mod. These are only for personal use and will not be distributed. With that out of the way, here is the what you need to know.

When I port skins over to Garry's Mod, it's usually just renaming and moving files. For example, changing "V_rif_ak47" to "C_rif_ak47". This is so I can use these skins in various gamemodes in Garry's Mod, most of which allows you to aim down the sights of your weapon. However, Counter Strike doesn't have any option that allows to you aim the down the weapon's sights, so most skins are usually misaligned. 

The only method I have used to try to fix this so far is to edit the QC files by changing them to TXT files and rewriting the origins. It only works to a extent and gets pretty time consuming since I need to restart the game every time I change the origins. I'm not expecting the sights to be perfectly aligned but I really don't want the gun to be on the left side of the crosshair when aiming.

I have noticed some skins here use the default valve animations and I figured that they would be more easier to deal with. However, it seems like all of them end up flipped onto the left side of the screen and no amount of fiddling with the origin would be able to fix that as far as I'm aware.

This is where blender comes in. I'll admit, I don't know much about Blender, I only installed it for the sole purpose of trying to fix/flip these models. I really only know some of the basic controls and how to import and possibly export smd and QC files.

The most of what I have done with Blender so far was to flip the bones and the mesh of a reference smd and export it (When I exported it, Blender told me something about non-uniform scaling and how the mesh might look different ingame. However, I don't really know what it means by that or how to fix it). I opened the reference file in Blender again and the bones were parallel to the mesh. I was probably supposed to do more than select the bones, the mesh, and flip them over the x-axis but I'm not really sure what to do beyond that. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.
  • Chapstic avatar
    Chapstic username pic Joined 2mo ago
    676 points Ranked 43247th
    6 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Returned 5000 times Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • Submission featured Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 10 WiPs Medal icon
    access_time 27d
    if you just want to flip the model go to edit-> preferences -Keymap switch it to industry standard. Select the mesh and hit R. Scale the mesh in the Y axis to flip it.
    Bananite avatar
    Mantra
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author