.vmf to .mdl conversion

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Members see zero ads. Membership is 100% free
Hello all. Im looking for someone that can help me convert a .vmf file of a chunk of land im using in a map im making thats displacement 4 textured with dirt to a .mdl file so i can use the land as a prop_static instead of a raw displacement brush, hopefully improving the FPS ratings for the map. please contact me if you are capable of doing this ASAP. there will be point rewards for anyone who can successfully do it for me once we meet =]] Please and Thank you. this seems to be the most mentally irritating process to me that ive tried to do already. The different approaches are running me in computer crap piling loops that just end up loading my gear with junk software or duplicated files and i cant handle it anymore. ive given up right now and am looking for help from felllow modellers and mappers!!
  • Wirmaple7321 avatar
    Wirmaple7321 username pic Joined 1y ago
    Died in BMRF :)
    105th Inc. Flag Affiliation: 105th Inc.
    545 points Ranked 44599th
    Wirmaple7321 avatar
    Wirmaple7321
    105th Inc. Flag
    Affiliation
    105th Inc.
    access_time 5d
    VMF to MDL? Sadly, That's Impossible. Try to Use Displacements Instead :)
    BTW Displacements won't Eat Lots of FPS <3
    Base64 - SSBMdXYgaGwyIDop avatar
    Mantra
    Base64 - SSBMdXYgaGwyIDop
    URL to post:
  • doctorn0 avatar
    doctorn0 Joined 4mo ago
    624 points Ranked 43558th
    access_time 5d
    my issue rn is that i used power 4 displacement in my whole map nd its preventing me from compiling lighting. if i switch it to power 3 lighting works but it,ruins the map. ive read a few things here and there nd it seemed there was a few ways to get .vmf to .smd with .gc files nd other files to compile,with studiocompiler but its been wicked confusing nd seems like a process. this mainly needs to be attempted to hopfully fix the fps bc i feel the raw displacement is keeping it bouncing between 20 to 30 fps nd 50 to 60 fps when in brushed nd optimized buildings. im hoping somehow getting the .vmf of the land to .mdl to static prop it might help a bit.
    thee0ccult
    URL to post:
  • doctorn0 avatar
    doctorn0 Joined 4mo ago
    624 points Ranked 43558th
    access_time 3d
    So i have the latest version of Propper installed into my counter strike source bin folder and configured to run and compile. Going the through the posted tutorial below i ran into a compile error in a created mod claiming the filesystem_steam.dll couldnt be found but it was there. so i went straight from propper wiki nd installed it into counter strike source bin propper for hammer nd when i configured and ran it this is the read out i got in the compiler.
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin\propper.exe
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\counter-strike source\bin\prefabs\scrapyard_land"

Propper 0.32. Originally written by Carl Foust, fixed and compiled for SDK Base 2013 by tuxxi. Adapted from vbsp.exe by Valve Software. (May 25 2016)
    4 threads
    materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\materials
    Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\counter-strike source\bin\prefabs\scrapyard_land.vmf
    Could not locate 'GameData' key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike\gameinfo.txt
    Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges.

i looked around a bit and i didnt find a compiled file. i believe the compile process is stopping after it seems to maybe not be able to find an increment or ID number or information from the current default css\bin gameinfo.txt file. i dont wanna change anything in it if i dont have to.. so if anyone else passing through knows what i should do next im still working on this. in the meantime i may just try to ask tophatwaffle directly he prolly knows exactly whats up.
    thee0ccult
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

doctorn0 avatar
doctorn0 Joined 4mo ago