Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

How can i edit textures?

A Forum Thread for Sonic Adventure 2

No ads for members. Membership is 100% free. Sign up!
Please someone i want to know how can i edit the character textures in Sonic Adventure 2 and how to make them work in the Mod loader,  with this said, thanks.
  • Darkspines147 avatar
    Darkspines147 username pic Joined 2y ago
    Absent
    1,092 points Ranked 24165th
    11 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 1 Tool Medal icon
    • Thanked 5 submitters Medal icon
    access_time 10mo edit 10mo
    There are two types of Texture Folders. The PRS and SOC folders. A PRS folder is the one you should make.

Next, you'll need SA Tools, and a photo editing program like Photoshop to edit the textures. I recommend Paint.NET, but GIMP is also fine, something that at the minimum is able to edit DDS format (Direct Draw Surface), and PNG. Both are free alternatives to Photoshop, and both have some advantages over Photoshop.

Once you have those, in the SA Tools folder (which you will need to make a new folder for) SA2PC is the folder you'll want, and the two tools you'll be using are GVM2PAK and PAKEdit.

GVM2PAK will convert PRS to PAK, most SA2 Textures will be in the resource\gd_PC folder, and will be PRS.

You can find a full list of texture names in the Sonic Community Hacking Guide.

With all of this, use one of the following methods to make the mod.

Easy
    In the Mod loader, click the New... button, it'll make the basic folder and mod.ini (I can't remember if it makes a gd_PC folder), and make a PRS folder.

Advanced
    Make a few new folders and structure it like this:

Name one "gd_PC"

Name the next one "PRS", and place it in the previously named "gd_PC" folder (Must be done regardless of the method you use)

Name the last one the mods name (Whatever you want, as long as it tells the user what it is to some extent).

In Notepad (or a similar program) make a new document, and add the following lines (minimum), in any order you wish, The mod loader doesn't really care how it looks, but it'll always display it this way.

Name=Name of mod
    Description=Describe the mod
    Author=Maker of mod

When saving: Save As All Files, then type in the bar "mod.ini", then click save. Place the mod.ini in the mod folder (not gd_PC), place all the PAK files you made with these tools into the PRS folder and put the mod in the mods folder, it should load up.

Lot of Technical Talk here, but I hope it helps.
    SA1 & SA2 enthusiast. avatar
    Mantra
    SA1 & SA2 enthusiast.
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Lucafio avatar