Is it illegal to port VSH maps to KOTH?

A Forum Thread for Team Fortress 2

Hello all.

I've been wanting to port a couple Versus Saxton Hale maps to the KOTH gamemode so a certain server can play it.

I  wouldn't be changing any part of the map except for adding more blu spawns.

Is this considered illegal? I'd be asking for the mapper's permission, but a lot of mappers haven't been seen on here for more than a month.

Also, I wouldn't be uploading it to the workshop as my own work or adding something like "MAP MADE BY GURRTH" I'd just be adding more blu spawns.

Replies

• Cream Tea avatar
    Cream Tea Joined 3y ago
    148 points Ranked 59352nd
    8d 8d
    If the creator has been inactive for years I think it would be okay to port it over to koth, I would definitely try contacting them first if they have been active in the last year though. People have made payload versions on control point maps after all (Like cp_dustbowl which is owned by valve).

From what I heard way back, you can't get sued just for editing/fixing a map in hammer because of the license or something. I could have been told a load of bollocks though but this seems a common view.

Basically as long as you are not being a dick about it then you should be fine.. (Taking full credit for it, selling it, etc)
    • Agree x 1
    • Correct x 1
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Mykhail Kozak avatar
    Mykhail Kozak username pic Joined 4y ago
    Ripe Supporter
    6,105 points Ranked 1003rd
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Ripe Supporter Medal icon
    • 2nd Place - The Heatwave Skinning Contest Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    8d 8d
    No, you cannot get into legal trouble for distributing online work, unless it detracts from the original owners income as it is paid content, or you attempt to sell it yourself. The owner can ask you to take it down, which you should respectfully do, and they can report you to a site administrator or similar, but that's it.
    • Helpful x 1
    Guh avatar
    Mantra
    Guh
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author