PSA To All Potential Mod Users

A Forum Thread for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I'd just like to issue a couple warnings to all people wanting to use mods in Smash Ultimate real quick since it is much more dangerous than Smash 4 and I've seen a couple people wanting to go online with mods (unfortunately that won't be a good idea in Ultimate).

Here's what you need to know:

1) Stay offline at all times while in LayeredFS. I don't mean Airplane mode either, I mean you should delete your internet settings since any connection to the internet is a risk when playing with any Switch CFWs.

2) LayeredFS (the CFW method used to load Switch mods) is very detectable by Nintendo and has ties to piracy. If you connect to the Internet while in LayeredFS there is a 90% chance of you getting banned and I'm not talking just from Ultimate's online, I'm talking about from all Nintendo services including, but not limited to: game updates, system updates and the eShop.

3) Make a Nand backup BEFORE modding your Switch. This simple, yet long, process nearly eliminates all ban risks related to Switch modding and homebrew. (I'd recommend finding a guide on Gbatemp myself)

Replies

• This is perhaps a stupid question, but I have two Switches, one of which will never be connected to the internet. Am I able to do a local account transfer between the two consoles so I can keep my Ultimate save intact? Would Nintendo be able to detect anything if/when I move my account back to my online, non-hacked Switch?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Arc_Ray avatar
    Arc_Ray Joined 3y ago
    4,139 points Ranked 1273rd
    14 medals 2 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Became a Game Pioneer Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • Submitted 10 Skins Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    1mo
    more of a clarification than a question, but i have been connected to the internet all the time when using layeredFS/atmosphere, not yet for Smash modding, but for other games. so i have been at risk of banning the entire time? (i have yet to actually go online in any game while mods are on.)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • SoulSolis avatar
    SoulSolis Joined 1mo ago
    1mo
    I recently got another Switch with a Legit Copy of Ultimate, New account made, NAND backup of my Hacked Switch and Separated Account on both Switches. I'm pretty sure I'm perfectly safe. :)

(also my first Switch was already banned because piracy abuse. Whoops...)
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Tman2k00 avatar
Tman2k00 Joined 4mo ago
908 points Ranked 5901st